Caudabe Lucid Clear Impressions

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Unprocessed1, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

This seems to be a very popular case for new iPhone X owners. What do you think about the case? Please post pics too!

2. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502a

I posted on this on the other thread, but I like mine a lot. Very light and slim, fits really well as would be expected. They make great thin cases. Loving the totally clear back. Great for this phone particularly with the stainless steel band. There definitely is not much of a lip so that’s something to take into account if that’s important to you. Not an issue for me since I prefer the lip-less swiping feel. Also about to slap a nice glass screen protector on this thing so the lip will matter even less.

All in all, I’m either going with this or the Caudabe Sheath I got as my daily driver. I might pick up the Apple leather case too - almost did at the apple store, but it’s just still too thick for my liking.

3. canyonblue737 macrumors 65816

It's great, I love mine on my silver X. Very clear, super thin. It is a bit slippery but probably about the same as the glass on the iPhone itself, a colored case or something with rubbering would be more secure. They say it has a raised lip but it really doesn't its pretty darn flush with the X, maybe the smallest bit of a lip but I wouldn't count it... I like it better this way. I've never had a glass screen protector before on any iPhone (since the 3G) but I've always gotten some minor scratches so maybe I'll pair this with a Belkin in store applied protector?

4. mrklaw macrumors 68020

cross posting from the clear cases thread:

Caudabe - Got a Lucid Clear and its almost perfect but has one dealbreaker. Its super slim when on, and in terms of protection without detracting from the phone, its great. It does feel a little slippery in the hand though. The dealbreaker is that it doesn't seem to have any front screen protection - no lip at all. Not sure if it was supposed to, but this pretty much kills it for me. their box says 'raised edge screen protection' so I'll have to contact them and see what they say. Particularly disappointing as this was the most expensive for me.

So from my initial look at the cases I have with me, the Ringke Fusion seems the better one for now. But maybe Caudabe will provide a replacment with a decent lip - if so that definitely looked the nicest.

5. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

Yep, got mine and love it too. There seems to be a more pronounced lip around the corners, but otherwise it's pretty minimal, which I agree is preferable. Anyway, I got that exact Belkin screen protector applied for me at the Apple store. It cost more than my Lucid Clear for a really thin piece of glass, but the combination with the Lucid Clear is flat out awesome. The screen protector doesn't go all the way to the edge (which is a good thing in my book) so there's a little bit of a gap, but the phone otherwise looks nearly naked. Very happy with this setup.

6. laurasaur25 macrumors member

i already posted in the merged cased thread but I'm leaning towards returning. It just is too slippery for me. I do like how it feels as if the phone is naked but I already have issues with dropping phones so I'll likely go with something with just a little more grip.

7. vega07 macrumors 65816

can you guys post pictures with your screen protector in the lucid clear? thanks!

8. rsxmachine macrumors 6502a

Ya please post pics I’m looking for a thin clear case

9. jabba jabba macrumors newbie

Couldn’t be happier with this case. It’s much thinner than what comes across in the pictures. Time will tell if it will show scratches but so far so good. And me being me I’ve already dropped my phone from about 2 feet into a hardwood floor *facepalm*
    --- Post Merged, Nov 4, 2017 ---

Attached Files:

10. tengorazon macrumors member

I agree with the others. Love the case. I've carried my iPhone naked since the 5, but with the switch back to glass, decided to get a case but wanted the thinnest one I could get that provided decent protection. This fits the bill perfectly. When people look at the phone, I actually have to tell them that there is a case on it. Another plus is that it is essentially flush with the camera, so my phone doesn't rock on the desk.

As noted, there is not much lip protection. I also ordered Speck Presidio clear cases as a backup, and my wife will definitely be using one of those since she drops her phone all the time. It's noticeably bulkier though.

11. rsxmachine macrumors 6502a

Look good I ordered one to add to my collection

12. defboob macrumors member

How hard is it to press the buttons on the side? I got a clear Luvvitt case for dirt cheap on amazon, i like it all but how hard it is to press the power button on the side, since it's covered over and not cut out.

13. tengorazon macrumors member

None of the buttons are covered in the Caudabe, so they're all easy to press.

14. Bexx macrumors regular

I have the silver metallic version.

My only concern with this case is that it doesn't look tough enough to protect the phone, but I'm happy to read this (though I'm sure you didn't feel that way when you dropped it!).

It's as slippery as a bar of soap, so not sure if it's ideal for a butterfingers like me! :D Otherwise, it looks very nice on. I added some thoughts and pics to the other thread too, direct post here: #824

15. RSNL macrumors regular

I have the case on as well. Like what everyone else has said, the case is very thin. It looks awesome on the silver version. The case is very slippery though. I almost dropped it a few times already.

Putting on the case seems like it was gonna scratch the chrome sides though. Especially if you you switch this case often.

16. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it's definitely a slippery bugger. I love it for now just because of how good it looks and fits. (And I agree that the buttons are really easy to press.) This phone is just too stunning to keep hidden. I do suspect after the honeymoon is over that I'll go back to the Sheath though, like someone else mentioned. That case is basically perfect except that it's not clear. Tons of grip.

17. rperalta macrumors 6502

Is the Lucid Clear Case same thickness as Veil XT?

18. NewYorkRanger macrumors regular

NewYorkRanger

19. mrklaw macrumors 68020

Yes mine has a small caudabe logo printed in dark grey on the bottom right side of the case

20. NewYorkRanger macrumors regular

NewYorkRanger

Ugh. I hope it is the kind you can scratch off with a penny.

21. tengorazon macrumors member

Since it's on the side, in gray print, and at the bottom where your hand would normally be, it's really not that noticeable.

22. Bexx macrumors regular

The silver and gold metallic ones have branding right at the bottom on the rear. It's not particularly intrusive, especially compared to some cases which like to plaster their name all over.

23. nycxaxez macrumors member

It is very easy to push all the buttons with this case on. This issue has always been one of my biggest complaints against cases, but with how thin and form fitting this case is, as well as the shape/size of the cutouts, I’ve never had an easier time pushing the buttons through a case (almost as if there’s no case on there). This includes the mute switch, by the way - incredibly simple to switch it back and forth (and the best I’ve seen).

Like others have already said, the case is not super grippy (similar to the glass of the phone itself) and there is barely a lip, although I thought it would be more pronounced given that they did advertise a lip. Still, the company claims they’ve drop tested to a little more than 6 feet - it’s not completely reassuring since phone damage is all about luck and how the phone falls and absorbs the damage, but since I have AppleCare+, I’m willing to take that risk.

Overall, the case is pretty damn nice - one of the highest quality cases I’ve had, from the look, feel, and quality of the material. Like I hinted at above, it almost feels like there’s no case on at all. And it really compliments my silver iPhone well. I’m thrilled that forum members recommended Caudabe and that the company released a clear case this time. Clear cases are what I’ve opted for the last few years, but the ones I’ve gotten before have been made out of TPU and over time they start to look kind of nasty. Hoping this one wears well!

24. Jhayes45 macrumors newbie

I received mine today and it’s nice but very slippery. I’ll be keeping it to use as my daily case as I’ve yet to find another clear case that is this thin and clear to keep the phone looking original.

25. Unprocessed1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Just put mine on.

I've always HATED cases, but have to say that this one looks and feels incredible. Doesn't add any notable weight or thickness, it seriously doesn't look/feel like there's a case on. My only concern is protection during a fall, I don't like the chances of the phone making it alive unscathed on a hard surface. Like others have said, it is a bit slippery, but not more than a naked phone.