Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amongst the tablet hype at CES, NVIDIA made a major announcement on Thursday introducing their latest Tegra 2 mobile chipset. The Tegra 2 chipset incorporates 8 independent processors to handle web browsing, HD video encoding/decoding as well as mobile gaming. It also accomplishes all this with a very low power consumption. In part, this is accomplished by the use of the ARM Cortex A9 dual core processor. The ARM Cortex A9 is the same processor that has been rumored to be utilized in Apple's future tablet. NVIDIA's Tegra 2 powered Tablets boasts the following features: - Over 16 hours of HD video or 140 hours of music on a single charge - Adobe Flash Player 10.1 - 10x faster than processors used in smartphones today - Playback 1080p video NVIDIA Chief Executive Jen-Hsuan Huang demoed a number of tablets at the event and declared that this year "is going to be the beginning of the tablet revolution".

Epic Games' CEO Tim Sweeny also came on stage to demonstrate the Unreal Engine 3 running on the new Tegra 2 chipset. Sweeny states that the Tegra 2 has the same 3D power as current generation high end console specs. Apple is widely expected to announce a tablet computer later this month. It remains conceivable that Apple could choose to adopt the NVIDIA Tegra 2 for their tablet. While Apple has been speculated to be working on their own version of the Dual-Core ARM Cortex A9 processor, it seems unlikely they would be able to achieve the same 3D performance independent of NVIDIA.

Article Link: CES 2010: NVIDIA Tegra 2 to Power Tablets in 2010

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Wow! As a gamer this is great news. My only fear is that (as usual) Apple is hostile towards "real" (PC/console level) gaming. This seems like it would be more of an evolution for Direct X.

OR it could spell the end of DX dominance if Open GL ever gets up to spec?

Does anyone know if the device NVIDIA was showing runs W7 or Android? It sounded like he said Android.

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
This is Great!

If Uncle steve Gets the Price wrong we have alternatives to kick his a$$ with

Yeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Wait, so Tegra 2 is about as powerful as xbox 360 and PS3?

Weither that is the case or not either Apple is going to be using this technology or it better have something incredible in the pipe for their tablet.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Apple's tablet is NOT going to rock the industry like the iPhone did in 2007. These may not be up-to-par with Apple's offering but they certainly have the form factor in place.

Steve Job's pet project should have been released last year. He's late.

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
Andriod may be better anyways. The tablet will probably be a slave to iTunes like the Apple TV.

You can slag itunes off all you want it does the Job, and it gives people a way to tie their media together, I actually think the mobile version is better then the Desktop which is too fat & complicated.

what matters is apple cover the bases well enough.

bunty

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
With so many tablets announced at once and more to come, I'm tablet-ed out.

I'll certainly not be buying ANY first gen tablets and with all the demo's I've seen in the last day or so, I'm even reconsidering buying any tablet, Apple or non-Apple. I just keep thinking of how I'm going to carry a tablet around, they're sized so oddly that they're not practical to lug around without a bag, and if I have a bag, I'll have a laptop.

These new tablets need to offer me much more than my iPhone does right now for me to even consider one. And I'm not getting anything anchored to iTunes again or anything that has any kind of subscription/monthly fee.

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
Apple's tablet is NOT going to rock the industry like the iPhone did in 2007. These may not be up-to-par with Apple's offering but they certainly have the form factor in place.

You say that but it was the multitouch that made the iphone stand out over all the other phones that came before it and how it intergrated with the OS.

even back then when the iphone cameout it wasnt the worlds powerfulest phone.

After seeing what you can do with a magic Mouse with Magic Prefs Software, I have a feeling this device is going to be multi touch EVolved.

and that will give apple the advantage.

RazHyena

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
USA

Steve insists on being cautious before moving forward on new products.

I mean.....look how long it took Apple to put SD card slots in the Macbook line. :eek:

Thex1138

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Emperors new clothes

blah blah blah... meh... they aren't even worth the banter.
They are simply wrapping a pc in a small form factor as a we-can-too.

They are not innovating... they sent a spec to the factory... the factory sent a plastic box back. Simple.

aucl

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2009
Moscow
NVIDIA's Tegra 2 powered Tablets boasts the following features: - Over 16 hours of HD video or 140 hours of music on a single charge

Sure that will be nice once we get it; but unfortunately it is not written what battery, and what CPU clocking that estimations are based on.
Maybe we will see rates close to that, maybe they'll decide to make the device slimmer/lighter

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
It looks like Apple's usual secretive nature has led to them being left behind in the tablet race already.

That nVidia chipset looks superb, with those graphics being around the quality of Unreal Tournament on the PC around three/four years ago.

It is funny how every design rips off the classic iPhone look with a black screen and chrome bezel.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
With that kind of graphic power, if the Tegra 2 was included in the Apple Tablet they could just make it the Apple TV replacement, which happens to be mobile and has an app store for games. Couple that with the subscription services and we are starting to have a real good product. They better add hdmi and optical outputs to it too... or at least the powering dock that allows you to wireless transmit to your TV, making your tablet the keyboard and the tv the monitor. The apple tablet would effectively become your home computer, tv set top box, gaming console, magazine reader, media library, and of course your home telephone... I don't mind paying a premium for that! The new product for the new decade.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

Most of these tablets won't be coming out for a while.
Apple will have it's announcement then put it out 2 months later.

Just because a company announces something doesn't make it being sold.

Apple just happens to be making their announcement 2 weeks later. That doesn't put them behind anyone.

And why are these being called "Tablets" now. The other day Balmer said they were now called "Slates".

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
You can slag itunes off all you want it does the Job, and it gives people a way to tie their media together, I actually think the mobile version is better then the Desktop which is too fat & complicated.

what matters is apple cover the bases well enough.

Although I can see the reservations people have with iTunes and the lack of "openness", it has done remarkably well for me as a consumer. I´m convinced that the same goes for the rest of the average consumer who uses the App Store for come casual gaming, productivity and fun. I personally don´t see a reason for me to be able to edit word and other office document on my iPhone. Short emails and SMS typing is okay, but everything larger than a hundred words is a nuisance to me.

Now if we have a larger form factor, I can see this change for me. If typing and editing becomes more comfortable I would certainly like to be able to do the stuff that I don´t do on the iPhone. I´m sure many developers will jump up an provide such functions.

Therefore I´m personally not all that worried. I´m quite sure that the provided apps will suit my needs (gaming, productivity etc).

Just an example: I´m still totally impressed with Things for the iPhone. A great little app that does exactly what I need it to. I can see this app being upscaled in function also for a tablet.

My point is that many developers, jailbrake interested people and windows fans will hate the clsed nature of the iTunes and App store relationship, but for the average consumer who just wants to plug the thing in and go, this is a blessing.

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
I think there was a rumour a while back that this was going to be in the new Nintendo DS (DS2?). That would be awesome.

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
Although I can see the reservations people have with iTunes and the lack of "openness", it has done remarkably well for me as a consumer. I´m convinced that the same goes for the rest of the average consumer who uses the App Store for come casual gaming, productivity and fun. I personally don´t see a reason for me to be able to edit word and other office document on my iPhone. Short emails and SMS typing is okay, but everything larger than a hundred words is a nuisance to me.

Now if we have a larger form factor, I can see this change for me. If typing and editing becomes more comfortable I would certainly like to be able to do the stuff that I don´t do on the iPhone. I´m sure many developers will jump up an provide such functions.

Therefore I´m personally not all that worried. I´m quite sure that the provided apps will suit my needs (gaming, productivity etc).

Just an example: I´m still totally impressed with Things for the iPhone. A great little app that does exactly what I need it to. I can see this app being upscaled in function also for a tablet.

My point is that many developers, jailbrake interested people and windows fans will hate the clsed nature of the iTunes and App store relationship, but for the average consumer who just wants to plug the thing in and go, this is a blessing.

This has been the case for a while now, the computer world is changing and some people dont like it.

15 years ago if you had a Computer at home you were a Geek, now if you dont have a computer your a Cave man.

The industry is now Fixed on the average person who is not that computer clever, doesnt want to control the world with their computer, and has a very short attension span.

Its no suprise to me that the latest incarnations of windows & mac OSX are smaller, faster and dont give you lots of new features, they simply try to make the old features easier and better to use.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
This has been the case for a while now, the computer world is changing and some people dont like it.

15 years ago if you had a Computer at home you were a Geek, now if you dont have a computer your a Cave man.

The industry is now Fixed on the average person who is not that computer clever, doesnt want to control the world with their computer, and has a very short attension span.

Its no suprise to me that the latest incarnations of windows & mac OSX are smaller, faster and dont give you lots of new features, they simply try to make the old features easier and better to use.

I don't know about Windows but Apple seems to be catering too much to the ignorant user rather than the average user.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
HOW MANY processors and how many cores? The Tegra 2 chipset incorporates 8 independent processors (ARM Cortex A9 dual core processor) with a total of 8 x 2 = 16 cores?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.