Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

CES 2012: Swivl Motion Tracking Stand and Magisto Automated Video Editing App

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
51,559
13,186



Several Apple-related apps and accessories are being previewed at CES 2012. Here are a couple of the more interesting ones we've run across.

Swivl




Swivl is a motion tracking mount for your iPhone. We previously covered the announcement of the product back in November.

The motorized mount registers the movement of the remote control (which you can attach to your body) both vertically and horizontally. Using infrared and RF sensors, the mount actively moves the iPhone to keep its camera centered on the subject. It could be used for activities such as video blogging and FaceTime.

See it in action:

Magisto is free and requires iOS 4.0 or higher. [App Store] The company plans to later introduce a premium version that offers HD video and more features.

Article Link: CES 2012: Swivl Motion Tracking Stand and Magisto Automated Video Editing App
 

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
667
62
NY
Swivl

I like the idea, but not the execution. I want something that I don't have to carry, preferably an app with facial recognition.

Barring that, I'd rather not need the camera to catch what I'm using. That thing is huge. It has uses from what I can see, but for every day purpose, it looks a tad big (in this form)...
 
Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
15,650
4,455
I like the idea, but not the execution. I want something that I don't have to carry, preferably an app with facial recognition.

Barring that, I'd rather not need the camera to catch what I'm using. That thing is huge. It has uses from what I can see, but for every day purpose, it looks a tad big (in this form)...

An app alone (no hardware) is not going to be able to keep you centered in the shot.

edit: oh I see. you talking about the remote?

arn
 
Comment

pubjoe

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
269
9
The motorized mount registers the movement of the remote control (which you can attach to your body) both vertically and horizontally. Using infrared and RF sensors, the mount actively moves the iPhone to keep its camera centered on the subject. It could be used for activities such as video blogging and FaceTime.
...And homemade porn.
 
Comment

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
215
0
An app alone (no hardware) is not going to be able to keep you centered in the shot.

edit: oh I see. you talking about the remote?

arn

Indeed, and lets not forget that it is multitasking.. Just having an app for tracking would destroy the whole concept.. E.g. It can work with FaceTime (wich I think is really cool)...

I believe it is more suited for indoor use rather than outdoors...
 
Comment

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
667
62
NY
An app alone (no hardware) is not going to be able to keep you centered in the shot.

edit: oh I see. you talking about the remote?

arn

An app running some sort of recognition combined with the thing I think will be able to track motion if done correctly-but its a tough task and I'm not sure that these devices are powerful enough for it. Still, I would prefer some sort of bluetooth positioning device you can keep in a pocket or something and then program where it is supposed to be on the camera, to allow the camera to focus on the user's face.

I can't do it. As I said, I like the idea, just not its current execution.
 
Comment

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
11,443
7,882
I'm a rolling stone.
Somebody with a steady hand to help You shoot the video will save you $159;)

Oh, Arn, you heard the news that Samsung revealed a new hardware upgradeable TV set?
 
Comment

CoreForce

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2003
128
17
Zurich, Switzerland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Check Out V.I.K.T.O.R.
 
Comment

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
423
9
UK
I see Apple interest in Magisto...if Magisto will execute idea right. Don't have this app so I don't know how good it is but idea seems brilliant and fix into Apple ideology nicely.
 
Comment

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
3,969
1,149
I like the idea, but not the execution. I want something that I don't have to carry, preferably an app with facial recognition.

Barring that, I'd rather not need the camera to catch what I'm using. That thing is huge. It has uses from what I can see, but for every day purpose, it looks a tad big (in this form)...

Impressed with the price point and utilizing a technology who's patent has expired a few years ago. However, the specific tracker you need handle is the deal breaker. This fob can get easily lost and needs visibility by the tracker camera in the base. Also the name is too descriptive for a strong copyright IMO. Finally, I view the industrial design as second rate. Looks like something out of the SolidWorks example projects with about a week of tweaks and bends.

What is needed is the IR distance and jester recognition as implemented in the Kentix technology. Have the camera on the base and just track the nearest object to the center of the view. You can even move your arm toward the device and it will follow that since it is closer. Put in a delay so quick movements are not tracked with a user adjustable parameter that you control via an app.

IR Trackers like this have been around for a while but are still only in the professional realm and not consumer priced. I give that a year or so if this doesn't taint the market. If so, we are seeing a four to five year delay at this price point for IR distance camera tracking.
 
Comment

pubjoe

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
269
9
An app running some sort of recognition combined with the thing I think will be able to track motion if done correctly-but its a tough task and I'm not sure that these devices are powerful enough for it. Still, I would prefer some sort of bluetooth positioning device you can keep in a pocket or something and then program where it is supposed to be on the camera, to allow the camera to focus on the user's face.

I can't do it. As I said, I like the idea, just not its current execution.

I think even if they managed to get recognition and motion tracking working 99% successfully, a 1% chance of ruining a video with any movement would still be much too high. I doubt they'd ever even get anywhere close to 99%.

If the remote means that it works without fail, then the visibility of a little gadget is a small price to pay. Think of it like a visible mic or ear-piece - its not really a problem if it works.
 
Last edited:
Comment

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
1,717
697
Where I live
I think even if they managed to get recognition and motion tracking working 99% successfully, a 1% chance of ruining a video with any movement would still be much too high. I doubt they'd ever even get anywhere close to 99%.

If the remote means that it works without fail, then the visibility of a little gadget is a small price to pay. Think of it like a visible mic or ear-piece - its not really a problem if it works.

It's still technology and probably made in China, it will eventually fail...
/cynicism
 
Comment

ericinboston

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2008
1,908
332
Swivl is interesting...$159 is pretty steep, however. If it sells for $79 or $99 I think it will do well. I wonder how much quality is put into Swivl...it seems jerky and how many useful hours can it promise?
 
Comment

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
6,055
162
Canada, eh?
I see Apple interest in Magisto...if Magisto will execute idea right. Don't have this app so I don't know how good it is but idea seems brilliant and fix into Apple ideology nicely.

I had a program on my PC that did this, sometime back in 2003 or so. I forget what it was called but the concept was identical. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the same company releasing their product to a new platform. It was sort of impressive, but not earth-shatteringly so.
 
Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
12,546
1,196
Use face recognition instead of a remote (cost savings too) and make sure it supports iPad, and I’ve got the ultimate video phone!

(Or I’ll just let a developer write that app for AR.Drone. A buzzing floating webcam that stays in your face and makes you want to swat at it.)
 
Comment

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
1,928
0
Most of those tracks done with the swivel looks like they were done with a really bad tripod. I suppose in situations where you don't have a second person and you don't need smooth movement, then it would probably be okay. I did notice that once is got moving, it wasn't too bad... except too fast. There was also a slight delay after the subject began to move and that didn't look very good. And interesting product, but at that price it's not replacement for a good tripod and a steady hand.
 
Comment

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
3,524
1,009
Aridzona
I see Apple interest in Magisto...if Magisto will execute idea right. Don't have this app so I don't know how good it is but idea seems brilliant and fix into Apple ideology nicely.
I have the app installed but first impression sucked. You can't use the app at all without either setting up an account with Magisto or letting it crap all over your Facebook wall with whatever the heck it wants. This was supposed to be a video editing app not another social media app.

So I have no idea how the app works and I will likely be deleting it.

EDIT: OK it wasn't a big deal to register with them (though I would have preferred a Facebook login if it didn't list about everything possible in the list of what they were going to be granted permission to do).

But the app itself seems pretty good. Kind of reminds me of Muvee that I used years ago (PC).




Michael
 
Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.