Change MacBook Pro 2017 SDD. Now I can't login.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lautaroml, Apr 30, 2019.

1. lautaroml, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019

lautaroml macrumors newbie

lautaroml

first.jpg second.jpg First of all, thanks for helping me with this.

My problem is the following:

I have a 13-inch MacBook Pro 2017 without Touch Bar. I bought an SSD (512 GB) to change the one I had (128 GB). I opened the computer, made the SSD change and started the operating system. At first it went well but now when I try to log in with my user, the computer restarts or stays with the status bar half full.

I tried to start in recovery mode but I can not ... When starting in recovery in local mode, it stays in the apple logo where the status bar is and it never fills up. And in recovery mode over the internet, the bar fills up but then it restarts and it leaves me in the login screen and when I try to log in, the same thing happens before (the laptop restarts)

I reset the NVRAM and also the SMC but it does not change anything.

I tried to start in single user mode and it does not change anything either.

I tried in verbose mode and it does not change anything either (only here I see the messages of the console)

The weirdest of all this is the following:

1) When the laptop battery is at 5% or less, I can login but without plugging in the power cord and if I plug it in once logged in, the laptop will restart and return to the same thing as before.

2) If I disconnect the laptop battery and start the system with the power cord, it works well.

3) I have put back the old SSD but it happens exactly the same as with the new one.

This is te output of the verbose boot:

Any help I will thank you very much!

Thank you!

2. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Can you boot to your Diagnostics?

If you want to post what is displayed in your verbose mode - take a picture of the screen, and post the picture.

3. lautaroml thread starter macrumors newbie

lautaroml

Yes I can boot into diagnostic mode, but it says that there's no problem.

I have added two images with the output of the verbose mode.

Thanks for your reply!!

4. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

hmm...
    Why did you replace the original SSD?
    Were you having any kind of problem with that SSD before you tried replacing it?

If not, try installing the old SSD, then do both resets, then try an Option-boot. Does the SSD show up in the Option-boot screen? Select your SSD on that screen, then press enter. Do you get a good boot then?

5. lautaroml thread starter macrumors newbie

lautaroml

I replace it because I have no more free space on the original SSD.
    No, like I said, it was for the space, not for a mal functioning.

I will try what you suggest, but i think that it will show up....like I said, I can go till the login screen with both SSD (I asume that the ssd must be detected in order to get there). The problem is when I try to login...but I will give it a try

6. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Ah, Sorry, I did miss that little (important) detail about the login (!)
    Then, I have a different question:
    Can you boot into Safe boot mode? Restart, while holding the Shift key, until you see the loading bar start. Boot should continue to your login windows.
    Can you then (in Safe boot mode) get to your desktop?

Another question - have you tried reinstalling macOS? This would work best if you have a bootable external drive with the macOS installer.
    Finally, What brand of SSD did you purchase for the replacement?

7. lautaroml thread starter macrumors newbie

lautaroml

No, I can't boot in safe mode. Basically when the battery is connected to the motherboard, I can't do anything. But if I disconnect the battery cable from the motherboard, I can boot in any mode (recovery, safe, etc...)

I reinstall macOS just a few hours ago...same story...the only difference is that this time I didn't encrypt the SSD and now when I power on the laptop, the apple logo appears and one second later, the laptop restart. Its like a loop....apple logo, restart, apple logo, restart....But If I unplug the battery cable from the motherboard, I can login normally...

I dont know what's happening....

The SSD from the macbook pro 2016, 2017(the one that I have) and 2018 is proprietary from apple.
    [​IMG]

I dont know what to do....

8. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Can you boot into single-user mode? (restart, holding Command-S)
    Do you get to the screen with text scrolling down?
    Can you try typing in the fsck -f command? does it run that command then?
    If not, what DOES happen?
    Can you then type exit, to attempt booting from that text screen?

9. lautaroml thread starter macrumors newbie

lautaroml

With the battery connected, when I boot in single-user mode, I get the screen with text, but its give me a kernel panic....I will upload a picture of the screen.

i will boot in single-user mode without the battery connected to the motherboard and I will type fsck -f, but this command is to check de disk integrity...and the problem is with the battery....

Anyway...I will post the results later...thanks for your help!!

10. poorcody, May 3, 2019
    Last edited: May 3, 2019

poorcody macrumors 6502a

poorcody

How did you replace the SSD in a 2017 MBP -- it's soldered in... ?

EDIT: Okay, now I see the non-Touchbar model is not soldered. I totally missed that over the years.

11. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68030

Mr_Brightside_@

Not on the non touch bar.

12. lautaroml, May 4, 2019
    Last edited: May 5, 2019

lautaroml thread starter macrumors newbie

lautaroml

Ok, i boot in single-user mode (with the battery disconnected) and run fsck -f...its says that the volume appears to be ok...so I guess that the disk is not the problem....

I'm pretty sure that the battery is the problem here....but not physically...its something with the software...there must be some software(In the OSX, not third party) that handles the battery....
    --- Post Merged, May 4, 2019 ---
    This is what happen when I boot in single-user mode with the battery connected to the motherboard.
    IMG_20190504_125607.jpg IMG_20190504_125611.jpg

Sorry for the quality, but the text size is to small...

13. lautaroml thread starter macrumors newbie

lautaroml