Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Re: Re: Re: personally..

Originally posted by leet1
I dont think they would blow anyone out of the water, lol. There are already 5 gig mp3 players out there for around $200

Well name an MP3 player that has the simplicity, design, and an integration that that iPod has.

leet1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: personally..

Originally posted by Gymnut
Well name an MP3 player that has the simplicity, design, and an integration that that iPod has.

Why? lol Most of the ones I saw were comparable in size and I'm willing to bet they weren't too complicated to use, heh.

looked like they usually supported mp3/wma

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
Originally posted by cypher
so when is this MWSF???

That WAS intended to be a joke, right?

:D

It's January 6-9. I assume the keynote's the 6th, but ya never know.

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: personally..

Why? lol Most of the ones I saw were comparable in size and I'm willing to bet they weren't too complicated to use, heh.

Seems like you forgot the design....

Actually, do this for me. Find me any mp3 player at ANY cost that is designed as well as the iPod.

By design I don't mean a "cool wheel clicker thing", I mean good case design, over all.

I doubt you can. THIS is why the iPod sells so well, not price, nor capacity, nor compatability. People want the hip, cool product, and right now, the iPod is that.

leet1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: personally..

Originally posted by zap23

Im sorry, I thought people kept these things in their pocket like I do with my little rio when walking/running/working out with them, lol.

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
It seems as if apple would want to get the people **like me** who only has about 2G's of music. A 5G ipod would be great. As my collection grows, i would eventually graduate to the 10G ipod. But for right now, 10G ipod for 200 mp3's is overkill. I should be able to choose the appropiate player as my music collection grow.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: personally..

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by zap23
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im sorry, I thought people kept these things in their pocket like I do with my little rio when walking/running/working out with them, lol.

So you're saying design doesn't matter? Okay, I guess Apple should just design an iPod with the exact same functionality, capacity, etc., however make it square with jagged edges, neon orange LEDs, a squeaky trackwheel and a nice checkered purple, brown, and puke green color scheme with scratches all over the case. Yah, that would sell just as well since no one cares about the design like you said. :rolleyes:

leet1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: personally..

Originally posted by ~Shard~
Yah, that would sell just as well since no one cares about the design like you said. :rolleyes:

They all look like damn rectangles, lol. Whats the Ipod have other the others I saw? Its a rounded off rectangle...lol.

Ive seen the iPod in person....there is no design to a freaking rectangle lol

leet1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Re: You must have...

Originally posted by Wash!!
A very boring life if you can not appreciate good design when you see it...:rolleyes:

Good design in this case is an opinion

Yours, not mine. :p

Its nothing great to look at in my eyes. Hince why it would go into my pocket.

aasmund

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2002
Trondheim
I'd guess: a usb drive device, with 512 mb, small form factor, bus chargeable battery and called the minipod. Price $150-200.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: personally..

How bout identifying the "ones I saw" and I'm guessing you somehow acquired the ability to somehow know the ease of use of a product without even using one yourself. Fantastic!

leet1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: personally..

Originally posted by Gymnut
I'm guessing you somehow acquired the ability to somehow know the ease of use of a product without even using one yourself. Fantastic!

I said im willing to bet...how hard can it be to use an mp3 player? lol

shen

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
i must be missing the point of the 5 gig limit. i have 5.6 gigs of music. gee i would have a hard time choosing which .6 to leave behind on any given dock......

is it a lot to assume that some iPod sales lead to Mac sales? maybe, but i bought my iBook because of the iPod, and i am now a dedicated fan of the company. take with salt, YMMV, whatever.

and leet1, i wouldn't have bought it if it weren't well designed. from the OS, to ease of use to simplicity, all these are part of design. "how it looks" is just an end result of good design. the iPod is good design. get over it.

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
That's business.

Kind of sucks for all the people who buy brand new iPods for Christmas. A month later they will be cheaper and possible be larger in capacity.

pjkelnhofer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2003
Boston
Re: That's business.

Originally posted by narco
Kind of sucks for all the people who buy brand new iPods for Christmas. A month later they will be cheaper and possible be larger in capacity.

I have only been reading these forums for about three months, but this seems to be the most common thought.
Is there ever a time you can buy any piece of computer equipment (Mac or PC) and not see something better for less money shortly thereafter?
That is technology!

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
I'm not complaining, that's why the subject is "That's Business". Especially in the IT business.

I bought a 15gig iPod a week and a half before they released the 20 gig at the same price. Sucks, yeah, but I'm still happy with my iPod.

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
leet1 you really are bordering on being a troll here.

First iPods have out sold every HD based MP3 player on the market. Right now our local CompUSA is selling iPods 30 to 2 against Dell, Samsung and Rio.
When folks come into stores they don't ask for a Dell or whatever they as for an iPod because it's what the market wants now.

Reason for low cost iPod after Christmas is the marketing campaign with Pepis and also the fact analyst's have said 04' will be the yr of the HD based MP3 player.

leet1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Originally posted by ITR 81
leet1 you really are bordering on being a troll here.

First iPods have out sold every HD based MP3 player on the market. Right now our local CompUSA is selling iPods 30 to 2 against Dell, Samsung and Rio.
When folks come into stores they don't ask for a Dell or whatever they as for an iPod because it's what the market wants now..

Actually what the market wants right now is still flash-based players.....since they are selling more....

Anyways... I was just stating what I thought. Nothing troll about that :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.