Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Evmanw

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
Its crazy that because my house is powered by wind, If I got a leaf, it would be a wind powered car!

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
Chevy Volt Costing Taxpayers Up to $250K Per Vehicle.

Each Chevy Volt sold thus far may have as much as $250,000 in state and federal dollars in incentives behind it – a total of $3 billion altogether, according to an analysis by James Hohman, assistant director of fiscal policy at the Mackinac Center for Public Policy.

Hohman looked at total state and federal assistance offered for the development and production of the Chevy Volt, General Motors’ plug-in hybrid electric vehicle. His analysis included 18 government deals that included loans, rebates, grants and tax credits. The amount of government assistance does not include the fact that General Motors is currently 26 percent owned by the federal government.

The Volt subsidies flow through multiple companies involved in production. The analysis includes adding up the amount of government subsidies via tax credits and direct funding for not only General Motors, but other companies supplying parts for the vehicle. For example, the Department of Energy awarded a $105.9 million grant to the GM Brownstown plant that assembles the batteries. The company was also awarded approximately $106 million for its Hamtramck assembly plant in state credits to retain jobs. The company that supplies the Volt’s batteries, Compact Power, was awarded up to $100 million in refundable battery credits (combination tax breaks and cash subsidies). These are among many of the subsidies and tax credits for the vehicle.

It’s unlikely that all the companies involved in Volt production will ever receive all the $3 billion in incentives, Hohman said, because many of them are linked to meeting various employment and other milestones. But the analysis looks at the total value that has been offered to the Volt in different aspects of production – from the assembly line to the dealerships to the battery manufacturers. Some tax credits and subsidies are offered for periods up to 20 years, though most have a much shorter time frame.

GM has estimated they’ve sold 6,000 Volts so far. That would mean each of the 6,000 Volts sold would be subsidized between $50,000 and $250,000, depending on how many government subsidy milestones are realized.

If those manufacturers awarded incentives to produce batteries the Volt may use are included in the analysis, the potential government subsidy per Volt increases to $256,824. For example, A123 Systems has received extensive state and federal support, and bid to be a supplier to the Volt, but the deal instead went to Compact Power. The $256,824 figure includes adding up the subsidies to both companies.

The $3 billion total subsidy figure includes $690.4 million offered by the state of Michigan and $2.3 billion in federal money. That’s enough to purchase 75,222 Volts with a sticker price of $39,828.

Additional state and local support provided to Volt suppliers was not included in the analysis, Hohman said, and could increase the level of government aid. For instance, the Volt is being assembled at the Poletown plant in Detroit/Hamtramck, which was built on land acquired by General Motors through eminent domain.

“It just goes to show there are certain folks that will spend anything to get their vision of what people should do,” said State Representative Tom McMillin, R-Rochester Hills. “It’s a glaring example of the failure of central planning trying to force citizens to purchase something they may not want. … They should let the free market make those decisions.”

“This might be the most government-supported car since the Trabant,” said Hohman, referring to the car produced by the former Communist state of East Germany.

According to GM CEO Dan Akerson, the average Volt owner makes $170,000 per year.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Does anybody here remember the urban (and rural) legend about the guy who "invented" the 100 mpg carburetor, which was either bought from him by the "oil companies" who then "destroyed the blueprints," or who was murdered by them? I had people tell me that story many times.

Last week I ran into the 2011 version. A guy looked at me with a straight face and said, "Did you hear about that German couple who invented a new kind of battery that was a hundred times as efficient as what we have now, and GM bought the rights from them, and then buried it?"

Some things never change. Like credulity.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
If I've not said it all ready, you can buy a $20k car that gets 30-40 mpg. The Volt is $40k. $20k is a lot of gas to burn through before breaking even on expenses. And approximately eight years into it the car will have a $2000-3000 battery liability.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004

Every automaker receives tax breaks or some form of financial aid from the state and federal government. Mercedes got tax breaks, etc to build their plant in Alabama, BMW did in SC, Toyota in Kentucky, Texas, etc. It's why the Chevy Sonic and Buick Verano is being built in Orion, MI instead of Spring Hill, TN because the town of Orion and Michigan gave GM better tax deals than TN and SH. Ford got the same grant GM got for retooling their factories for green vehicles, etc.

This article is just another smear campaign against the Volt. Hate to break it to everyone, but every US built car has the government giving money to the automaker or some kind of financial aid. Every car in the world costs taxpayers something because every government gives companies some kind of financial deal to build their cars, parts, etc in their country, state, etc.

I would extend it to every freaking company gets this treatment. It's why Apple put their data center in NC. They got tax breaks from NC! Same with Boeing, Amazon, etc!

Last edited:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Can we please just label the Volt the huge failure that it is already?

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota

Not yet. We have to wait until I get mine. My company is replacing all of its company cars with Chevy Volts. I should be getting mine sometime in the Spring/Summer. I have to wait until my Impala has a few more miles on it before I order one.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off

I've read about this in a few auto-blogs etc and I think the $250K number is very misleading - much as some of the unit cost estimates for the F-22 have been (though that program is in worse shape than that of the Volt). Also, like the F-22, the Volt is a political football.

The $250K amount arrived at assumes that all the subsidies from which the Volt may benefit will go solely to the Volt program and not to any other program, now or in the future. Both of these assumptions are very, very debatable. It is almost certain, for example, that the battery technology used in the Volt will find its way into other cars and non-automotive products.

It's pretty much certain that the Volt is selling at a loss right now, much as the Prius did early on. But the $250K unit cost estimate resides at the extremely pessimistic end of the range of guesses, and as such it's probably way off-base.

My biggest beef with the $250K claim is not that it seems inaccurate, but that the estimate appears to have been created with the deliberate intention of making the Volt seem like a financial disaster - and that this intention was politically motivated.

Yes, a froth-at-the-mouth editorial about a newspaper article that is 3 months old. Most Americans buy the vast majority of their consumer good from China (and many of our GM cars and trucks come from Canada/Mexico), so why is the controversial Volt the "last straw"?

Last edited:

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I've read about this in a few auto-blogs etc and I think the $250K number is very misleading - much as some of the unit cost estimates for the F-22 have been (though that program is in worse shape than that of the Volt). Also, like the F-22, the Volt is a political football.

The $250K amount arrived at assumes that all the subsidies from which the Volt may benefit will go solely to the Volt program and not to any other program, now or in the future. Both of these assumptions are very, very debatable. It is almost certain, for example, that the battery technology used in the Volt will find its way into other cars and non-automotive products.

It's pretty much certain that the Volt is selling at a loss right now, much as the Prius did early on. But the $250K unit cost estimate resides at the extremely pessimistic end of the range of guesses, and as such it's probably way off-base.

My biggest beef with the $250K claim is not that it seems inaccurate, but that the estimate appears to have been created with the deliberate intention of making the Volt seem like a financial disaster - and that this intention was politically motivated.

It also assumes the Volt will stop selling. That figure was calculated with the amount of Volt's already sold. As more are sold, that already misleading number goes down.

Yes, a froth-at-the-mouth editorial about a newspaper article that is 3 months old. Most Americans buy the vast majority of their consumer good from China (and many of our GM cars and trucks come from Canada/Mexico), so why is the controversial Volt the "last straw"?

Not to mention GM is moving a lot of production back to the US. The Sonic is built in the US( only subcompact to be built here), GM is reopening their Spring Hill, TN assembly plant to assemble Equinox's to keep up with demand.

While I would not be surprised to see the Volt being assembled in China, it doesn't mean all Volt production is going to China.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
While I would not be surprised to see the Volt being assembled in China, it doesn't mean all Volt production is going to China.

It's also worth pointing out that the US has its own protectionist schemes like the Chicken Tax, which was designed to destroy VW's light truck sales and has remained on the books since the 60s, effectively preventing foreign manufacturers from selling light trucks in the US without some legal gymnastics. It's gotten so silly that Ford has had to also circumvent the same law (originially put in place to protect US manufacturers like Ford) in order to bring its Transit Connect commercial van as a "passenger vehicle", resulting in a bizzarre importation process:
To circumvent the 25% tariff on imported light trucks, Ford imports all Transit Connects as passenger vehicles with rear windows, rear seats and rear seatbelts.[9] The vehicles are exported from Turkey on cargo ships owned by Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics, arrive in Baltimore, and are converted into commercial vehicles at WWL Vehicle Services Americas Inc. facility: rear windows are replaced with metal panels and rear seats removed (except on wagons).[9] The removed parts are then recycled.[9] The process exploits a loophole in the customs definition of a commercial vehicle. As cargo does not need seats with seat belts or rear windows, presence of those items exempts the vehicle from commercial vehicle status. The conversion process costs Ford hundreds of dollars per van, but saves thousands over having to pay the chicken tax.[9] Partly because of this, only the long-wheelbase, high roof configuration is exported to North America.

That makes tremendous sense, right? :rolleyes:

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA

No, not a failure. Awesome car. Test drive one. You will be amazed. This is not just another prius. The Volt is so much better, quieter, smoother. Totally worth the money. And with the tax breaks and the the ca HOV sticker...

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
No, not a failure. Awesome car. Test drive one. You will be amazed. This is not just another prius. The Volt is so much better, quieter, smoother. Totally worth the money. And with the tax breaks and the the ca HOV sticker...

Apparently not too many people agree with you.

USAToday.com said:
General Motors is stopping production of the Chevy Volt and European sibling Opel Ampera for five weeks due to slow sales.

GM told the 1,300 employees building Volts at its Detroit Hamtramck plant that they will be laid off from March 19 to April 23.

Chevrolet sold 1,023 Volts in the U.S. in February and 1,626 so far this year. In 2011, it sold 7,671 -- short of its initial goal of 10,000. And GM had planned to expand production of the $40,000 plug-in, extended-range electric car to 60,000 this year, with 45,000 for sale in the U.S.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...elling-chevy-volts-for-5-weeks/1#.T2ZGaZjYtno

Last edited:

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

I test drove one at an auto show.

Was not that impressed tbh. Also, the interior for a 40k car should be better than what the volt provides

tuccillo

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2012
The problem with the Volt it that it misses the "sweet spot" financially. The Prius hits the sweet spot. In order to expand the electric/hybrid market you need volumes to generate the economies to scale to make batteries cheaper and a niche car like the Volt will not help that. You can almost buy two Priuses for the price of a Volt. Even if you never used a drop of gas in a Volt, the most a Volt will save you over a Prius is about $1200/year assuming you drove 15k miles/year. If will take a long time to pay for the $15K price premium of the Volt.

While electric/hybrid vehicles will help reduce gasoline consumption, they won't solve a lot of transportation needs. We should be encouraging diesel and natural gas powered vehicles.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Currently, 45% of the electrical power generated in the U.S. is produced by burning coal. Even if cars like the Volt are successful, increased demand for more electric power would likely result in more greenhouse gases being emitted.

The plan is to encourage EV owners to charge at night through Smartgrid programs and time of use metering.

Most people will drive their EV's during the day anyway so they're not charging during peak hours. They'll be charging at night when everyone's lights are off and everyone's asleep and load is small. Since the vehicle charging is off-peak, you don't have to build more coal plants. You just use existing infrastructure more efficiently.

Coal is dirty and non profits want to stop using it, which I agree with

But they don't want us to use nuclear power either, despite the fact that it's the best way of creating energy known

Really just poking fun at impractical environmentalists.

Yeah that's because non-profits like Greenpeace don't understand what baseload generation is and think the US can run 100% off solar or wind.

The baseload choice in the US is either coal, nuclear, or natural gas. Everything else is supplementary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.