Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Chinese cellular carrier China Mobile recently held an event discussing its upcoming plans for 2016, in which it hinted at an April 2016 release date for Apple's rumored 4-inch iPhone, reports MyDrivers [Google Translate] (via Gadgetz Arena).

An April 2016 release date for the device is in line with previous rumors that have suggested it will launch during the first months of 2016. Apple is rumored to be holding a March event where it will introduce a second-generation Apple Watch, and it's possible the 4-inch iPhone will also be unveiled at that time.

chinamobileiphone6c.jpg

Today's report from MyDrivers refers to the 4-inch iPhone as the "iPhone 7c," but Apple is unlikely to use that nomenclature for a device that launches ahead of the "iPhone 7," the name most probable for the 2016 flagship iPhone coming in September. All previous rumors have instead referred to the 4-inch iPhone as the "iPhone 6c."

The iPhone 6c is rumored to feature an aluminum casing like the iPhone 5s, with at least two to three color options available and a 2.5D curved edge cover glass like the glass used on the iPhone 6 and later. It may also include the same A9 processor used in the iPhone 6s and the iPhone 6s Plus, along with an 8-megapixel rear-facing camera, a 1.2-megapixel front-facing camera, 802.11ac Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth 4.1.

Article Link: China Mobile Roadmap Claims New 4-Inch iPhone Coming in April 2016

Reactions: .max

shanson27

macrumors 68020
Nov 27, 2011
January No! February No! March No! April Yes, oh sorry No! May yes but maybe

.max

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2009
I'd switch from my iPhone 6 to this one in a heartbeat.

Of all previous iPhone form factors that I owned, iPhone 6 is the only one that frustrates me. Even after a year of daily usage it's still awkward to use with one hand on the go. I can feel it in my pocket when walking upstairs or sitting down to tie shoe laces. Makes me regret upgrading - Every - Single - Time - this happens. Ugh. 5S had perfect size for me.

nolankvn

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2015

Of all previous iPhone form factors that I owned, iPhone 6 is the only one that frustrates me. Even after a year of daily usage it's still awkward to use with one hand on the go. I can feel it in my pocket when walking upstairs or sitting down to tie shoe laces. Makes me regret upgrading - Every - Single - Time - this happens. Ugh. 5S had perfect size for me.

I agree, although I'd hate to have a worse camera just for the smaller size. The 6 looks comically large in my hands, and the rounded edges make it even more slippery. Every time I get out of my car I have to deathgrip the thing for fear that it's going to go flying out of my hands.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
My new phone strategy is to find a phone I like, still using my 5, use it until an expensive repair happens or the latest IOS software will not work on it anymore. This changing for sake of change is not working for me anymore. So far on this phone I have saved almost $500 dollars by not upgrading so often. I am also not seeing the necessity of the new features. Nice to have, will most likely use when I do upgrade but not a gotta have for me. Sum it up, the new three year plus upgrade plan seems very doable for me.

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
Why wouldn't it? My 5S is only a few months old and it's very fast on iOS 9. I personally see no need to upgrade yet.
I plan to upgrade my iPhone 5S with an iPhone 6C mainly because I want Apple Pay support. I very much hope it will also support 3D Touch but I'll buy it just to get Apple Pay support, 801.11ac, LTE Advanced, the A9 chip, the motion coprocessor, and improved cameras.

I have absolutely no use, need, or desire to get a 4.7" phablet. I already have an iPad Air for when I want a two-handed device.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I plan to upgrade my iPhone 5S with an iPhone 6C mainly because I want Apple Pay support. I very much hope it will also support 3D Touch but I'll buy it just to get Apple Pay support, 801.11ac, LTE Advanced, the A9 chip, the motion coprocessor, and improved cameras.

I have absolutely no use, need, or desire to get a 4.7" phablet. I already have an iPad Air for when I want a two-handed device.
Okay, but I was asking why he thought it wouldn't last a few months. Unless his phone was purchased at the 5S launch and his battery is depleted I don't see why it wouldn't last. There is nothing about the 5S that wouldn't allow it to last a couple more years let alone a couple more months.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
My 5s is looking cooler and cooler. Does everything I need it to do. The new one has to really step it up for me to "upgrade"

"Upgrade" being the specific thing. If it's a cheaper looking smaller 6, then that's not an upgrade for me.

ronntaylor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
Flushing, New York
I think this report is a stretch. I think China Mobile is reporting for expectations beginning in April, and beyond. The supply chain can be unpredictable, but I doubt they'd be this reckless and I seriously doubt Apple would give this much heads up to a partner.

I don't like the larger phones and would seriously consider a iPhone 6C. I'm not holding my breath however.

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV

Ditto - so far in fact that I went ahead and bought a 5S for use, retiring my 6 that I bought on launch day. I just purchased the 5S about ~1.5 months ago. So much better to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.