Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunce66

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2008
It's odd isn't it, that people in the USA can't collectively realize that all they had to do was do not buy a new iPhone for 1 year and Apple would slash the prices.
Of course, Apple knows people are not able to do that, so the prices will remain high.

Apple made a disgusting calculation that the 50% higher price on the top-shelf iPhone would off-set a reduction in sales and they would make more money. I'm all for freedom and companies charging what they want, but to do this to the people who have been locked into their ecosystem is just awful.

iSheep will justify it by saying that the XR is for those who want a lower price phone. But, the XR has a pathetic LCD screen and starts at $750.

What people care about it the price of the highest end phone, because that's the reference point for the whole market.

It's probably the greediest thing I've ever seen a company do.

joefly82

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2019
no one wants these updated phones, that why sales are down. the only people buying are because of something wrong with their old phone, they don't want the new one, they are getting it because they need a phone and these are phones. People will not be able to retire because they are spending such a high percentage of their income on phones, plans, services, and accessories every year. If you want to be a slave to apple for your entire life until you drop dead go ahead.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Right now, rent, food and saving for retirement have taken over as priorities. I know someone who still uses a iPhone 5s; dropped it the other day and was considering buying 7 or XR. I told him, save yourself some money; just spend the $80 to replace the screen. Turned out to be a wise decision. If he can keep his 5s that long, don’t see why I can’t with my 2017 iPhone X. We need to stop upgrading for upgrades sake and wanting kee up with the Joneses. Be practical.

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
It's odd isn't it, that people in the USA can't collectively realize that all they had to do was do not buy a new iPhone for 1 year and Apple would slash the prices.
Of course, Apple knows people are not able to do that, so the prices will remain high.

You hit the nail on the head. If the majority oft people here in the U.S. and other countries would do the same, we would see a price drop like we are now seeing in China. Apple is fortunate there are countless number of people who upgrade every year or every other year rather than waiting until it is necessary to replace. Cellphone is the only product that I know of that people do upgrades on short term. iPads seem to be a close second for upgrades. IMO, I give credit to Apple marketing as they have done an excellent job, including Tim.

Reactions: Queen6

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
You hit the nail on the head. If the majority oft people here in the U.S. and other countries would do the same, we would see a price drop like we are now seeing in China. Apple is fortunate there are countless number of people who upgrade every year or every other year rather than waiting until it is necessary to replace. Cellphone is the only product that I know of that people do upgrades on short term. iPads seem to be a close second for upgrades. IMO, I give credit to Apple marketing as they have done an excellent job, including Tim.
If prices had been more reasonable, I would have bought a Max. However, the pricing is ridiculous so I didn’t buy. More and more people are doing the same.

This change in purchasing behaviour is not limited to China. It’s just that it’s much more pronounced there.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
What about the US market? I didn't upgrade from my iPhone X because the iPhone XS had no significant improvements. I might have been tempted had the XS been $150 less
What's $150 over the course of a year? If you want one, buy it. Sell the old one and it's even less money.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
This is good news:
1-More competition
2-Apple corrects its "authoritarian" behaviours since they are no longer dominant.
3-Lower prices
4-Dominant companies in China will start expanding outside of China.

I am old enough to say I have seen this all the time where a company becomes dominant->turns into snobby "take it or leave it" attitude->corrects attitude

Some didn't make it... like Blackberry which was priced almost the same as an iphone 4,

masciam

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
I think I will introduce this site [1] to people on the forum.

It basically display worldwide Apple product prices in which ever currency you prefer, ex tax.

So people could stop arguing about something where most of the time is utter nonsense. You are paying VAT / Sales Tax or even Import Tax* in your country, and it is going to be more expensive than X.

If you include 5% vacation of exchange rate, you will see most of iPhone are prices evenly.

[1] https://themacindex.com/lines?country=us

*Import Tax, ranging from 10 to 20%, as in the case like China and Brazil, are now shown on the site.

This is interesting as a comparison tool for prices before taxes, but the "price after refund" seems to be wrong. For most EU countries it shows prices after a 100% refund on VAT, which is not the case as you have to take administrative charges into account.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Thats the thing with discounts.
Apple was once known for a stable price base, and retail value

There comes a point when you squeeze your customer too hard and they begin to 'squeak'. Let's face it, but for being able to buy a phone on contract the sales figures for iPhone (and many other brands) would likely be a fraction of what they are today.

Speaking personally if I can't afford to buy something upfront then I don't get it.

Reactions: zulkiflim

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
So how about some US price cutting, without it being part of some cockeyed carrier deal?

"Add a line!"

"Buy one get one half off - but the discount will be spread out as a 24 month bill credit that you'll lose if you pay it off early so that we can still have our grip on you like an old contract"

Can we just have a straight up discount on the handset from the Apple store?

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
as I am in China at the moment, this seems like a good time to upgrade?
Does anyone know if there is a difference between European and Chinese models, hardware wise?
as far as i know, the firmware is different. u dont have all emojis and facetime video doesnt work.
someone else could confirm this.

Reactions: PowerMacBook

tzm41

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2014
Sunnyvale
Apple is in danger of totally losing the Chinese market. Samsung went from about 30% market share to less than 1% in a matter of 2 years. The same could happen to Apple and I think they're on thin ice there, which serves them right after jacking up the prices worldwide. Maybe other countries should boycott Apple the same, rather than going along with their bogus pricing scheme.

Beside that issue, who else is sick and tired of seeing companies give special treatment to China? There are so many companies that compromise everything so as to please their authoritarian leaders.

Why are they trying to stay relevant in the Chinese market? Are they just mentally twisted and doing all they can to please a few authoritarian leaders? So sick and tired! Oh wait, it's the second wealthiest country in the world, with more than three times the smartphone user number compared to the US.

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
It’s not only price, it’s the utility of the product that is dropping.

With Siri all but useless (it now understands but can’t give any useful results), with limited usefulness of iMessages, why do you need an iPhone when androids offer better value, same or more utility, and depending who the hardware provider is, better hardware!

The problem is Tim Cook is out of touch with reality. Apple board needs to address the source of the problem, which is Tim o’tool crook!

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
Because Apple set revenue records in the US, Canada, much of Europe, etc.

China was weak so they get the most attention.
Yes, I will agree with you (it does get the most attention now.)

But this is not a one-off, transient, problem to Apple.

The problem, as I see it, is the combo in China of Huawei hardware coupled with WeChat's all-in-one app. That combo, which is particular to China, for now, makes Apple irrelevant there.

Lowering the price of iPhone in China only devalues its exclusivity and does nothing to defeat Huawei in that market. Neither iMessage, nor iCloud nor iTunes nor ApplePay, all rolled into one, have a fighting chance against WeChat in that market. This because WeChat does all, and more.

"WeChat is a Chinese multi-purpose messaging, social media and mobile payment app developed by Tencent. It was first released in 2011, and by 2018 it was one of the world's largest standalone mobile apps by monthly active users, with over 1 billion monthly active users." [Wikipedia]

In China, Cook will have his Chinese goose cooked and turned to paté.

Just my view.

repoman016

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
Ohio
Apple is in danger of totally losing the Chinese market. Samsung went from about 30% market share to less than 1% in a matter of 2 years. The same could happen to Apple and I think they're on thin ice there, which serves them right after jacking up the prices worldwide. Maybe other countries should boycott Apple the same, rather than going along with their bogus pricing scheme.

Beside that issue, who else is sick and tired of seeing companies give special treatment to China? There are so many companies that compromise everything so as to please their authoritarian leaders.
Like Google, they probably figured its either work with them and get some of the cut, or dont work with them and they rip everything off and you get zero of the cut.

JetTester

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2014
Higher prices result in fewer upgrades? You don't say! Tim, I think that is a very astute, and obvious, analysis.

Reactions: zulkiflim

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Yes, I will agree with you (it does get the most attention now.)

But this is not a one-off, transient, problem to Apple.

The problem, as I see it, is the combo in China of Huawei hardware coupled with WeChat's all-in-one app. That combo, which is particular to China, for now, makes Apple irrelevant there.

Lowering the price of iPhone in China only devalues its exclusivity and does nothing to defeat Huawei in that market. Neither iMessage, nor iCloud nor iTunes nor ApplePay, all rolled into one, have a fighting chance against WeChat in that market. This because WeChat does all, and more.

"WeChat is a Chinese multi-purpose messaging, social media and mobile payment app developed by Tencent. It was first released in 2011, and by 2018 it was one of the world's largest standalone mobile apps by monthly active users, with over 1 billion monthly active users." [Wikipedia]

In China, Cook will have his Chinese goose cooked and turned to paté.

Just my view.
I think "irrelevant" is a little over the top for a market that just did $52 BILLION in sales in 2018. WeChat is on iOS and Apple understand how big WeChat is in China. You think they are unaware?

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Except that the XR is a downgrade in terms of screen technology vs the 8+, and also removed the 2X camera.I upgraded the wife's 6s to an XR, but like EvilEvil won't switch from an 8 Plus to an XR, I won't switch from a 7 Plus to an XR.

The good thing about the XR is there is actually a 128 GB model, which has an upgrade cost that is a reasonable premium over the base model. No such model exists in the XS/Max line.
Actually the screen technology identical. The 8 plus just has a higher resolution. Actually the liquid retina is higher tech in regard to how Apple pushes the display to the edge then uses antialiasing to round the corners perfectly.

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
Goes to Apple.ca to look at a MacPro base model.
6-Core and Dual GPU
  • 3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 processor
  • 16GB 1866MHz DDR3 ECC memory
  • Dual AMD FirePro D500 with 3GB GDDR5 VRAM each
  • 256GB PCIe-based SSD1
$2,999.00

Nope.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.