Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

areskins

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Gonna get an iphone Xs this christmas as a gift for myself. I really hate the gold color so my options are either the silver or the black one.

Im aiming for longevity for this phone since I wont be able to get another for at least 3yrs. To those who has the iphone X, how’s the stainless steel band after a year? Coming from a black iPhone 7 plus, I prefer the black iphone Xs but I heard the black thing that covers the band wears off unlike the one in the silver where you can polish it off. Is this correct? What can you suggest?

Cheers!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Gonna get an iphone Xs this christmas as a gift for myself. I really hate the gold color so my options are either the silver or the black one.

Im aiming for longevity for this phone since I wont be able to get another for at least 3yrs. To those who has the iphone X, how’s the stainless steel band after a year? Coming from a black iPhone 7 plus, I prefer the black iphone Xs but I heard the black thing that covers the band wears off unlike the one in the silver where you can polish it off. Is this correct? What can you suggest?

Cheers!

The coating on the space gray bands is known as a ‘PVD coating’, and it does not wear off. Some of had defects where it has separated away from the bands, but I never had that experience myself, and it acts as a protective agent against scratches and scuffs. And you cannot polish the space gray due to the PVD coating, as you can the regular stainless.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
The coating on the space gray bands is known as a ‘PVD coating’, and it does not wear off. Some of had defects where it has separated away from the bands, but I never had that experience myself, and it acts as a protective agent against scratches and scuffs. And you cannot polish the space gray due to the PVD coating, as you can the regular stainless.

To say that it won’t wear off is a little misleading. I’ve definitely seen phones where the coating has come off. I’m sure it takes a lot, but it can happen.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
To say that it won’t wear off is a little misleading. I’ve definitely seen phones where the coating has come off. I’m sure it takes a lot, but it can happen.

Please re-read my post. The PVD coating does _not _wear off with gradual use, Apple manufactures millions of space gray iPhones, and *if* it does wear off, that would be the defect itself with the PVD coating, it’s not the ‘norm’ that it should over the course of time with everyday usage. For the record on anyone reading this, it’s extremely rare that the PVD coating would separate away from the stainless bands, considering the mass amount of iPhones Apple produces with the space gray.

Reactions: akash.nu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.