iPhone XS Max Choppy video playback on iPhone XS and XS Max.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ValO, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

It sounds like my 6s is doing better than some newer phones. Happy with it in any case.

2. seaw macrumors member

Also love my 6s for videos. Had the X and returned it. Couldn’t stand that OLED jitter. Much prefer the LCD motion blurr.

3. arjun_assi macrumors member

arjun_assi

Hi team,

I have started a linked post and tagged apple in it. I request all of you to please comment on it and call out apple for this. Please, this way we will get some clarity as well - https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6495931962954481664/
    --- Post Merged, Jan 29, 2019 ---
    Hi team,

I have started a linked post and tagged apple in it. I request all of you to please comment on it and call out apple for this. Please, this way we will get some clarity as well - https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6495931962954481664/
    --- Post Merged, Jan 29, 2019 ---

Here is the link to the facebook post - https://www.facebook.com/arjun.assi/posts/2491786667559766

4. iphone xs stutter macrumors newbie

Guys I signed up just to post this. Heres what I found

If you watch youtube with auto brightness on or off and bluetooth on it lags like hell. Just turn bluetooth off and it stays stable.

For netflix you need to turn both bluetooth and auto brightness off for it to stay stable.

This iPhone XS experience is being very very underwhelming for me at the moment, hope apple sorts this out or I'll just go back to android.

Tell me if it works for you.

5. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

well that sucks, since I always have bluetooth headphones on when watching Netflix.

6. iphone xs stutter macrumors newbie

Yeah same, always had my airpods on... now need to use the wired ones to watch movies and turn off auto brightness I'm loving the iOS experience

7. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

I tested with Bluetooth headphones and no lag on my max with auto brightness on.

8. iphone xs stutter macrumors newbie

This solution is only for the people affected by the stuttering, the others work just fine

9. iphone xs stutter macrumors newbie

Can someone please confirm if this works for you too ?

10. arjun_assi macrumors member

arjun_assi

Nope. Don’t see the Bluetooth angle working for me. Auto brightness on causes full stuttering. Disabling auto brightness causes the stuttering to go away 90% of the times. Switching on and off Bluetooth doesn't do anything.

11. iphone xs stutter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks for sharing. Its probably a problem with my airpods. At least the stuttering stops with the auto brightness off. There's a 99% chance it is a problem with iOS.

12. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

With the latest beta there is no more stuttering in some apps like google maps when brightness is lowered to below 20 %.

Apple must be having difficulty optimizing these cores. But in my experience I don’t notice the stutter anymore. It maybe so brief that I don’t catch it. It’s better then before that’s for sure.

13. blesio macrumors regular

I do, for me, nothing changed. With auto brightness turned on video is stuttering wild, Netflix, Infuse, you name it.
    When you turn it off it’s way better, the little jerkyness is caused by the AMOLED fast response time I guess, which I am able to live with. The other problem with the High CPU taking over the Low CPU cores is also troublesome.... overall 12.2 beta 2 is a little better UI response and fluid animations wise.

14. arjun_assi macrumors member

arjun_assi

Guys, just a small status update - I have managed to get in touch with Gorgon Kelly - A renowned tech reporter for Forbes. I explained him the issue and provided him with supporting links as well. He said that he wants to wait for the next iOS release which could be hitting out anytime now - (the one that fixes the FaceTime issue) and if the problem still persists after that, he would surely cover this.

15. seaw macrumors member

Great job.
    I’m not buying this crap phone anyways. But at least we will want the iPhone XI to run properly.

16. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

I don’t know which one is more annoying. Maybe apple will fix oled jitter in the iPhone 11.

17. seaw macrumors member

They will not even try to fix it, because it’s an OLED issue. Also a 120 Hz display wouldn’t help, when playing videos at 24 FPS. They needed to introduce some sort of smooth motion technology like all the large screen TVs have.
    Apple would never do that, because they stand for simplicity. If the movie comes with 24 FPS you will get the 24 FPS. They just don’t care thinking about that an OLED Display is not really good for playing movies with such a low frame rate. Also LCD is not perfect, the natural motion blurr of that technology just makes it a little more comfortable to perceive. Only on a very large cinema screen in a dark room the jitter of 24 Hz is almost not noticeable.

18. Nikhil72 macrumors 65816

It happens on the LCD for iPhone XR too so it’s not an OLED issue...

19. iphone xs stutter macrumors newbie

Well the new update came out and I still have the stutters... I had 0 problems with the S9 plus, why the hell did I even decide to change...

20. seaw macrumors member

That’s exactly what I said, only that the pixel response of the LCD is slow compared to the instant response of OLED. That’s why the LCD blurrs motion and is way easier on the eyes than OLED.

21. blesio macrumors regular

Besides if it was the issue of the display then it would not be so easily remedied by turning off auto brightness. I agree with the refresh rate difference and I got used to some frame rate issues but what happens when auto brightness is on is way worse than the normal frame rate sync problem.

22. seaw macrumors member

That’s true.

23. arjun_assi macrumors member

arjun_assi

I have already stopped giving a damn about it. learning to live with this. Just hoping that the editor can write about it and maybe then It gets some traction. Buying this device was the biggest mistake ever.

24. iphone xs stutter macrumors newbie

Yes, biggest mistake ever for me too. Idk if I'll stay with apple after this, it's nothing big but we paid A LOT for this and it's performing worse than our previous phones.

25. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I'm on 12.2 beta 2 and turning off auto-brightness is working out pretty well for me... it's almost non-noticeable on my iPhone XS Max..... I played around and turned auto-brightness on and the stutter was really bad.... turned it back off and almost gone completely. Having auto-brightness off sucks because I have to keep adjusting the brightness myself depending on the surrounding light, but I guess its the only remedy for now. Where is the Macrumors article on this?