iPhone XS Max Choppy video playback on iPhone XS and XS Max.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ValO, Sep 22, 2018.

1. blesio macrumors regular

No, nothing fixed. Netflix still shows lags when playing movies, not always obvious, but this can be observed
    There is also lag or if you prefer judder even in 3D graphics.
    More so, Apple didn’t fix the switching from 2 low power cores to 4 high power cores which is especially visible when you have something open and staying still for more than 10 seconds and then you try to scroll content or close the app, you can clearly observe the slow response in graphics at the first second or so, and then everything goes back to being normal until you leave the phone for 10 seconds :(
    Really sad that Apple can’t get this straight and it’s already been a while too.

2. arjun_assi macrumors member

arjun_assi

Hmm. Is there anyone on this forum who has managed to get a replacement device with no stutter??

3. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Someone said this is happening with the XR as well. I’m surprised this issue in general has a) not been fixed yet and b) not reported by any major tech bloggers. They usually get apple’s attention.

4. Nikhil72 macrumors 65816

This is clearly a softwarte issue and affects the XS and XR lines. It has definitely improved with the latest betas but not fully. Hardware replacements are just a waste of resources.

5. blesio macrumors regular

I think Netflix’s fixed. I watched StarTrek Discovery S02E01 yesterday, and the IO movie and did not notice this effect once. Also I think that the phone gets a lot warmer than previously during watching. I think that they fixed it with the app update. Maybe developers need to fix their apps, that simple. Can anyone confirm this? Or maybe I’m just playing the wrong movies.

Nothing changed with 3D graphics in some games though, although looking over the developer forums I found a thread that some special settings need to be implemented for some 3D engines for the phone to work as expected, so maybe this all is fixable, but apple gives **** about it and most developers don’t know the workaround.

I’m thinking that this is a problem with the CPU cores, maybe the apps aren’t using the 4 high power cores but are using the 2 low power ones? And you need to implement this into your app, who knows.

I issued two new feedbacks to apple, once again about the 3D problems, which are not there on the X and about the CPU going into low power mode after the phone being idle for 10-15 seconds, where after scrolling or closing the app you can see slowdowns in animations. Nothing else I can do.... and a little sad it is, since the phone is such an expensive device.

6. blesio macrumors regular

One more note though, the scrolling slowdowns are not present in Tapatalk app (beta) which is strange, mostly in the system apps.... damn

7. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Are you on the beta software? Still happening for me on Netflix with 12.1.2

8. Jweir2022 macrumors newbie

Jweir2022

Still happening on netflix for me. Again, only with auto brightness on

9. blesio macrumors regular

I’m on the dev beta. Just checked and noticed that auto brightness is off
    Sorry my bad guys.

10. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

I watched bird box (downloaded) on a plane and did not see any slowdown.

11. arjun_assi macrumors member

arjun_assi

Stuttering happens for me even with Auto Brightness turned off. Weird thing that I noticed ( Maybe I am just trying to find trends for this) is that there seems to be no stuttering when the room is completely dark. What I mean is that I have yet to see stuttering in a dark room. it generally happens in well lit conditions

12. CPx macrumors 6502a

I installed 12.1.3 production version and Netflix is still stuttering with auto brightness turned on. :(

13. DarkSel macrumors 6502

Do you have True Tone on?

14. arjun_assi macrumors member

arjun_assi

Yup. True Tone is on.

15. Jweir2022 macrumors newbie

Jweir2022

16. Gunnilingus, Jan 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2019

Gunnilingus macrumors newbie

17. alisex747 macrumors member

are you 100% sure ?

18. blesio macrumors regular

19. seaw macrumors member

It will never get fixed. Apple became an ******* company!

20. arjun_assi macrumors member

arjun_assi

Are you on the beta?? Did you test extensively?

21. blesio macrumors regular

22. arjun_assi macrumors member

arjun_assi

Anyone got any success knocking apple's door ??? Anyone still in a process with them?

23. blesio macrumors regular

I’m still in process but haven’t heard from them for a while.

24. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

This is still happening to me on the 12.2 Beta 1.... I am on an XS Max and I get the stuttering just as bad in Netflix and for some movies I am watching on infuse. Turning off auto-brightness does make it a little less noticeable but its still happens slightly.