iPhone XS Max Choppy video playback on iPhone XS and XS Max.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ValO, Sep 22, 2018.

1. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Don’t know what the common denominator is. I have been unable to replicate with YouTube, prime, Netflix or Vimeo. For what it’s worth.

2. Jweir2022 macrumors newbie

Jweir2022

Reading back near the start of the thread I noticed some saying turning off auto brightness resolves the issue.

I must say i did notice a difference.

I was quick to say turning off True Tone helped and that turned out to be false.

I will continue to test.

For the record i have also restored in iTunes to remove the beta software.

3. JarvisMeier macrumors member

Is your device the dual sim model?

4. Jweir2022, Dec 29, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  5. Hippiesrlame macrumors newbie

Hippiesrlame

For me, this issue is not limited to just videos, but any demanding app (such as certain games, etc). I’ve noticed it only when the brightness is very low. I’m curious — for folks that have turned off auto brightness does it still happen for you when the brightness is all the way down? I’m guessing it’s something to do with OLED power savings whenever the brightness drops, regardless of auto brightness vs non-auto.

6. arjun_assi macrumors member

arjun_assi

This issue is there for all. I have yet to see an iPhone XS Max that does not exhibit the stutter in the videos. I am sure this is going to need a software fix.

7. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Not sure what’s taking Apple so long. They may just ignore it. I’m not seeing anyone complain about it outside of macrumors.

8. arjun_assi macrumors member

arjun_assi

The phone is dual sim - One physical sim and the other sim an esim.

9. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

I can’t reproduce this issue. I tried videos from Vimeo, YouTube and Netflix. Could be one if my settings that’s contributing to this not happening.

10. Nikhil72 macrumors 65816

My brief time with the XR has this issue too.

11. arjun_assi macrumors member

arjun_assi

Anyone tried contacting Youtube Video Bloggers regarding this? MKBHD, Unbox therapy, etc.?

12. blesio macrumors regular

Video playback is not the only problem. Most games have worse performance in 3D graphics than the X, I have the Xs and frame rate is much worse than on the X when you put them side by side. And this still happens on the iOS 12.1.3 beta 2....

13. Jweir2022 macrumors newbie

Jweir2022

Ok it’s been a week since turning off auto brightness and I haven’t noticed one bit of slowdown on Netflix or YouTube. I turned auto brightness on again today and it was back almost immediately. Crazy.

14. Hippiesrlame macrumors newbie

Hippiesrlame

What’s your effective brightness set to when it slows down though? My guess is it’s low? After a bit of testing I think it’s tied to the screen brightness being dim. At least it appears to be the case for me. For me auto-brightness is too key of a feature to entirely disable but I’ve noticed that if I temporarily increase the brightness when playing a game or watching 24fps content it prevents any slowdown. Definitely just a workaround but at least it’s preventable without totally nuking auto-brightness until Apple gets their collective heads out of their asses and fixes this issue.

15. Jweir2022 macrumors newbie

Jweir2022

I’ve kept it around 35-40% and not had any issues.

16. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I just got an XS Max and I am having this issue watching downloaded Netflix videos and youtube videos as well (havent tried any other video app yet) It's not horrible to the point that it makes the video unwatchable but definitely annoying... I think @JarvisMeier described it best in post #633..

Any chance @MacRumors can have one of their writers look in to this and write a front page article about it? that will give this issue more exposure and perhaps push apple to resolve it quicker.

17. arjun_assi macrumors member

arjun_assi

I just think we are stuck in this situation with Apple. I have tried everything possible with them including getting a replacement device but to no avail. If they considered it as a software issue, they would have fixed it by now. This seems to be a hardware issue according to me now. I just feel purchasing the XS Max was the worst mistake any person can ever make.

18. JarvisMeier macrumors member

I’m having a difficult time trying to reproduce the stutter with the latest beta iOS 12.1.3 beta 4. Stuttering is infrequent and lasts milliseconds. This was done with testing a few 4K HDR movies with Infuse.

19. richard371 macrumors 68020

So you really think it might be fixed? I thought there were previous betas that we thought fixed it? Thanks.

20. seaw macrumors member

I just logged myself in to Netflix on my colleagues iPhone XR. Played something for a couple of seconds... and boom same frame drop issue as on the XS. So this problem ist NOT OLED or resolution related.
    Breathtaking Apple !!!!!

21. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

I can’t reproduce this either on Netflix, Vimeo or YouTube.

22. blesio macrumors regular

Play Westworld (3D animations) on iPhone X and the same on Xs, you will see a huge difference in FPS. Smooth as butter on the X...

23. JarvisMeier macrumors member

Make sure the videos you are playing back are HDR and you’re playing through the dedicated apps. YouTube won’t play back HDR through embedded browser videos.

24. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Vimeo has 4K hdr content. I was testing using the Vimeo app.

25. arjun_assi macrumors member

arjun_assi

So are you guys saying that apple has finally fixed the issue in the latest beta???