Cinema Displays - Where Are They?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mr.PS, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Who promised? Not Apple, that's for sure, and no third party has any right to promise something on their behalf.

I strongly suspect that we'll see new displays this year, but in the meantime, if you need it, buy it. If you don't want the current version, there are plenty of other good displays out there - HP come to mind.

3. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

It was a rumor of course, but since other companies are releasing new panels it's only right for Apple to as well. I don't want a 3rd party display from Hp, Dell, Samsung, etc.. It just doesn't feel right to have a beautiful aluminum mac pro and have a black brick on your desk. :) I might wait, but I really can't, so I will probably get one of the current displays.

4. amik macrumors regular

Appears apple made the right economic decision.

5. sananda macrumors 68020

i see you edited your first post so as to make tersono's reply look odd.

6. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

7. newtech macrumors 6502

New ACD ought to have...

1) add HDMI input and be HDCP compliant

2) LED backlighting

3) iSight style camera built in

4) thinner profile, thinner bezel

8. orangejuice macrumors newbie

Beautiful aluminium cheesegrater... :D

9. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

I dunno... It feels pretty good having a 2560x1600 workspace with my dell 3007-HC. the 1/2" trim doesn't bother me a bit. It's a workspace, it doesn't need to be pretty. To tell you the truth, the dell doesn't look bad. It's got black bezel/alum base that goes pretty well with my current g5/on the way MP.

...and to get it for under $1200.

10. Hatchet macrumors regular

Interesting...What do you have against Dell displays? I can understand issues with their computers, but their displays are some of the best out there.

The Dell 2407 vs Apple Cinema....Dell blows it out of the water.

Don't knock it unless you use it. I bet their monitors are some of their top sellers as the 2407 has a 1-2 Week shipping delay.

11. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

Umm, I have two Dell 2005FPW's and a 2405FPW. Both are great; however, I'm not fond of Dell as a company, nor am I fond of their looks. I'd like an Apple display due to the fact that it's a piece of furniture in a high end office like the one I reside in.

12. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

I don't personally have anything against Dell displays. But Google 2407 ghosting and you'll find plenty of people who DO.

I'm also disappointed Apple didn't update their cinema display line. How old are these things now???? Their prices are still too high as well.

Looks like I'll be getting an NEC for the Mac Pro when it eventually comes in.

13. Hatchet macrumors regular

This was resolved pretty well in the 2407-HC model.

I have the HC, not the original 2407 for clarification.

14. Schmoe0013 macrumors regular

Schmoe0013

the dell is very nice. I really enjoy the inclusion of the various inputs.

This does put it over the ACD until an apple update.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Dude why do you hate Dell? :rolleyes: That's silly to even say because they make great displays. I have a 20" of theirs and it's amazing. Buy whatever you want. The current displays from Apple aren't bad.

16. sailmac macrumors 6502

sailmac

Still waiting for the "one more thing" announcement...

I don't recall hearing Steve Jobs say "one more thing" during today's keynote.

Two weeks ago there was a rumor started over on AppleInsider

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82733

that a 'secret' announcement will be made tomorrow at the FCPUG meeting.

Perhaps there is a slim chance that "one more thing" will be revealed tomorrow and it will be new displays.

I noticed the LG75 announced at CES is a 42" LED backlit HDTV, and Samsung announced a 30" unit with backlit LED, so at least screen size of LED backlighting is not technically impossible for Apple's display line-up.

I also noticed that Apple's suppliers have had 22" (maybe larger) LED backlit screens in play since mid-2007.

I concede price could cause a delay in release schedule.

Didn't Apple hold a separate "one more thing" event a few years ago, after Macworld was finished?

I won't put off buying a new display needed to get work done, but I'd feel more satisfied if I were buying the newest technology instead of something so late in the product life cycle.

And I'd really like to hurry along the demise of mercury and other toxins in displays. It's just one part in the overall contribution to toxic body burden, but every little bit helps...

17. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

That is a HUGELY misleading stretch and not accurate for those who work in print graphics.

For the Record, we have an ACD 30, a 2407 and a brand new HP LP3065.

All three are great: each has a strength the other does not. None of them blow each other out of the water. No way.

18. TripleCore macrumors regular

19. sailmac macrumors 6502

sailmac

Ahh. Okay. [ exhales... ]

20. TripleCore macrumors regular

New displays possibly at NAB or with the Nehalem Pros.

I'm probably going to shop around for some other brands at MacWorld tomorrow to go along with my next Mac Pro system. I agree, the prices are high for this old of gear.

21. purdueboiler87 macrumors member

I picked up a 30" ACD at CompUSA over the weekend. They were marked down 15%. I was on the fence whether or not to get one but I did. It will replace a 24" and 20" Dell. The only bad thing is my PowerMac's video card can't support the resolution. This will problem will be fixed this week when when my new MP arrives (hopefully).

22. sk8ordie macrumors regular

sk8ordie

The only fault I see with the ACD's is the price. Much to rich for my blood, I dont understand why they are so expensive.

23. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

How so? The Dell 2407 uses a S-PVS LCD panel while the 23" ACD uses a superior SWOP-certified S-IPS LCD panel. Image quality on the Apple is better. You pay more, but it is better.

I saw the 2407 in a kiosk in the same mall where I got my 23" ACD. I saw nothing superior about the Dell.

24. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

Why do so many people always think Dell makes the displays...

Dell uses Samsung panels. When I bring up the factory menu its tells me its a Samsung.

LG use to be used in the Dell 30's, they then switched to Samsung. 99% of the displays are the same manufacturer, with another logo on the center of the lower front.

25. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

The new dell 3008WFP looks awesome. Like I said, I have nothing against Dell Displays, I'm just not too fond of them in comparison to the ACD's. Especially since I pay so much attention to aesthetics.

New Dell 3008WFP:
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=223-4890

Can anyone guess when Apple will release new displays? The panels are certaintly available, but the question is when. I waited a long time for the new Mac Pro and I don't want a 4 year old display.