Civilization V Coming to Mac Very Soon

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Last month Firaxis Games/2K Games launched Civilization V for Windows to strongly positive reviews.
In Civilization V, the player leads a civilization from prehistoric times into the future on a procedurally-generated map, achieving one of a number of different victory conditions through research, diplomacy, expansion, economic development, government and military conquest.
Civilization has been an incredibly popular game franchise that dates all the way back to 1991. As of 2008, the franchise has been said to have sold over 8 million copies.

We've received reliable word that Civilization V for the Mac is due very soon -- likely in the coming weeks. Up until now, Mac gamers have been left wondering if and when we'd be getting a version of Civilization V for ourselves. Civilization IV, for example, had made its way to the Mac platform but not for nearly a year after the original PC release. It seems the Mac is finally starting to achieve some improved parity with major gaming releases.

Article Link: Civilization V Coming to Mac Very Soon

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
My dad is a devoted Civ player, and has been since forever. I happen to know that he is looking to switch soon. This will be the trigger I suspect.

COnverted my mum this autumn. All is going to plan :p

ABG

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
United Kingdom
I put a Bootcamp Win7 partition on the iMac just to play Civ V.

Result? I'm happy enough with Win7 but Civ V (in its current format) isn't as good as Civ IV BTS, which I've gone back to playing.

More leaders and maps will help Civ V but the restrictions on stacking when moving make battles pretty slow and boring.

And Steam just adds to the issues and generally gets in the way for me. :(

racketeer71

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2010
I believe Civ5 for PC requires Steam - even if you buy it in a shop.

So it's quite safe to assume, that the folks who bought it for PC on Steam will get the Mac version for free?

tshort

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
I bought Civ V via Steam... I'm hoping that I don't have to pay twice! My understanding is that I wouldn't (based on their handling other other Mac/PC games), and that is the reason I bought it that way instead of brick & mortar. My fingers are crossed.

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
too bad it will run like crap, not even the new imac can run this at its native with very high settings.

at 2560x1600, forget it, the game needs a 9800GT to run "OK", i would say you need at least a GTX460 1GB to run decent at that resolution, maybe even a a GTX480 if you want full AA and AF

apple needs to stop shipping their products with 2 year old base level video cards to be competitive in the gaming market.

sigma8

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2005
I believe Civ5 for PC requires Steam - even if you buy it in a shop.

So it's quite safe to assume, that the folks who bought it for PC on Steam will get the Mac version for free?
Yes, it DOES require Steam. I bought it in a shop and the first thing it does is it sets you up through Steam. No choice.

That said, while I hope they make it cross-plat for free, and I feel they frickin' oughtta, given how buggy it is for my PC (with my 4 year old videocard that's been legacy so I can't upgrade past catalyst 10.2 thus can barely play the game)... but I don't think that's a requirement imposed by Valve.

They can probably charge again if they want. Or maybe charge a fee. Honestly, I wouldn't totally mind a small fee. I'd pay $5 to "unlock" a mac copy on existing license without too much anger.

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
It seems a lot of people are addicted to this game. I don't think I've ever played it! :eek:

ltcol266845

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
Elgin, IL
too bad it will run like crap, not even the new imac can run this at its native with very high settings.

at 2560x1600, forget it, the game needs a 9800GT to run "OK", i would say you need at least a GTX460 1GB to run decent at that resolution, maybe even a a GTX480 if you want full AA and AF

apple needs to stop shipping their products with 2 year old base level video cards to be competitive in the gaming market.
Hmm, my new iMac has a 5750 with 1gee bee of RAM (27")... So it should work pretty well. I play it on my PC desktop with a 5850 and it runs extremely well on a 24" at 1920x1200.

Fun game, I hope that it comes to SteamPlay and I don't have to pay for it again (because I wont).

sigma8

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2005

I don't know if it matters. I have a minimum spec PC. The only thing on my PC that is above minimum is my GPU....although that's only in terms of sheer horsepower, as it's a DX9 card (the X1950 Pro AGP). That's faster than some of the more current DX10 cards, including the ones listed in the minimum spec.

However, I get horrible, HORRIBLE performance in the game. I did a reinstall of windows, and that brought it from absolutely intolerable to nearly tolerable.

I've got all my settings at lowest, but I like native res, so I had it at 1080p. So, you would say "Try a lower res, idiot" and of course, I eventually did this. I even went down to the lowest res available to me (800x600, I think). It didn't increase my frame rate one iota. Zero improvement. Still horrible performance. So I went ahead and jacked it back up to 1080p with no noticeable performance penalty. At least I could have that.

This game has some interesting bottlenecks, I'd say it's a crapshoot whether it runs well on any given system.

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
I actually just bought Civ V for my Bootcamp partition. It runs really well (until the late stages of the game) on my Mac Pro with GTX 285. Looking forward to having the option to play in OS X. It screws up my EyeTV recordings when I'm in Windows for 6+ hours playing Civ!!!

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
Yaaaaaaaaay! I've been waiting for this announcement! Bye bye free time! (Bye bye girlfriend and employment if I'm not careful :))

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010

Uhh, the iMac should have no problem running this at native res as long as you keep anti-aliasing down which will hardly matter if you are playing at 2560x1440. As for Anisotropic filtering, it's hardly taxing on the GPU. People should have no problem setting that to 16x.

Apple ships products with GPU's that fit in their TDP range. The high end iMac has the second best GPU they could've given it at the time. The MacBook Pro has the best NVIDIA GPU that fit in their TDP at the time. You may say that none of this matters because you just want the best performance but Apple's GPU choices comes into play with battery life, heat and space requirements.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
This game has some interesting bottlenecks, I'd say it's a crapshoot whether it runs well on any given system.
I remember that Civ IV was also a complete performance bastard when released, but a subsequent patch sped it up.

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
no, its just macs are crippled when it comes to anything 3D related

a PC can play this game at 2560x1600x32 MAX settings for $1000 on 64bit windows 7

this PC would include

AMD 6-Core CPU
8GB DDR3 1600MHz Ram
EDIT: 120GB SSD (i checked this out, it was not a hybrid drive, just a type-o on the pricing list, thx Mac2x)
nVidia GTX460 1GB Video card (in some games the 460 outperforms an ATi 5870, and similarly 460s in SLI will outperform a single 5970 for half the price)

Number 41

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Maybe I'm the only one, but I really wish someone would release a playable version of the original "Civilization" -- they keep adding more bells and whistles to make things infinitely more complex, but the original game is still more addicting than any of the later incarnations.

Fun Civ Fact: The original Mac game contained soruce files that were easily changeable w/ any utility like the old ResEdit. When we were in middle school, we had a lot of fun editing the game scripts to include lots of curse words and references to human anatomy.

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
Maybe I'm the only one, but I really wish someone would release a playable version of the original "Civilization" -- they keep adding more bells and whistles to make things infinitely more complex, but the original game is still more addicting than any of the later incarnations.
Have you looked at 'Freeciv'? I've not played it but, it appears to fit the bill.

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
Apple ships products with GPU's that fit in their TDP range. The high end iMac has the second best GPU they could've given it at the time. The MacBook Pro has the best NVIDIA GPU that fit in their TDP at the time. You may say that none of this matters because you just want the best performance but Apple's GPU choices comes into play with battery life, heat and space requirements.
correct, Apple choose looks over performance, they have cut alot of corners to make anything fit in their MBP Chassis including heatsink material for both CPU and GPU, which is why there are so many reports of them over heating and reach thermal shutdown temps. IMO i dont think its fair to the users since some of those users need their MBP's to do encoding and rendering, after all, most of them paid over $2000-$2500 for their laptops and it not even reliable at 100% usage for extended periods

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007

Fun Civ Fact: The original Mac game contained soruce files that were easily changeable w/ any utility like the old ResEdit. When we were in middle school, we had a lot of fun editing the game scripts to include lots of curse words and references to human anatomy.
civ 5 is not actually using ALL the latest technologies (it is using some DX11 features though), you want to see something amazing? see Metro 2033 with Direct X 11 and Physx enabled at MAX settings, it basically looks like a CGI Movie when your playing (think rendered half life cut scenes and final fantasy advent children)

Blair230

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2009
Near Philly

Thats not necessarily true. I have a 24" C2D imac with the nvidia 8800gs. I am bootcamping it wiht Win7 and playing on native res with most settings on high and a few on medium. No AA (which you dont need at that res) and 2x AF. Game runs smooth and nice...no probs!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.