Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aucl

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2009
Moscow
Change in construction

If I am not mistaken the new bezel now has quite some metal feet with screw holes, that is total opposite of the current ones, which is only screwed next to the doc connector.
So if true we see either
  • lots of small screws on the sides
  • a new iPhone that will be opened/acessible on the back of the device.
The second option screams replaceable battery, or internal sim slot.

?Microsim anyone?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
If this is real, what would be the purpose? The screen is the same size, so would Apple really make it bigger with the same size screen? What could possibly be going on inside of it to warrant making it bigger? A larger battery would make it thicker not taller. Another camera couldn't possibly take that much room, I don't think a new radio would either. I conclude that this is a fake, or that Apple has some major awesomeness in store for the iPhone.

First, a battery can be whatever size apple wants it to be so its illogical to say that it would just make the device fatter, its volume that you have to think about.

Guys, do you realize the emphasis apple puts on ergonomics with their phones? At first when the 3G came out with the plastic back I thought the "it feels great in your hand" was just BS Jobs was saying to warrant going plastic. Then I actually held one and it was much more comfortable to hold in most positions than the original (IMO). That said, perhaps a bit taller will help with continuing to make a very ergonomic device?

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I call fake (not fake image, though, just fake part, as in for an iPhone knock-off sold in China). The reflective surface isn't the giveaway, but the difference on the back of the screen is too much.

jW

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
If they're still going for the same design and screen size then i can resoundingly say i won't be upgrading and android might even be my next phone

benrcrom

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2010
I doubt this is genuine. What benefits would Apple gain by increasing the length of the iPhone by a few millimetres?

If the iPhone is redesigned at all, I predict it will be something radically different to the 3G and 3GS. I do love how as soon as the iPad was announced, the rumour mills almost immediately shifted to the new iPhone.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Eh, it's probably just the front of the new Microsoft phone. :D

Isn't it too early for these parts to be in the wild? We're several months off.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
If they're still going for the same design and screen size then i can resoundingly say i won't be upgrading and android might even be my next phone

Not to demean your position, but can I ask why? Remember that same size does not necessarily mean the same screen.

aucl

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2009
Moscow
I usually don't call fake and ignore these things, but this looks way too cheap and just in general looks fake. Anyone else agree? I mean seriously, Apple won't make a longer iphone. It's big enough already.

to make it look smaller/slimmer?

i also don't understand it, esp cause the display seems to stay the same physical size.

mags631

Mar 6, 2007
Maybe aluminum could be reintroduced as long as it didn't affect the radio antennas.

However Ive has stated on the iphone that the everything resorts to the display of the device and design is removed from the equation.

When you interact with nothing but the screen, and rightfully so, why would u let any design get in the way of actually interacting with the device?

Other than a slighty redesigned back/material, there's not much u can do.

You could always roll your own with a glue stick and rhinestones.

502_hello_kitty_decoden_pink_sweets_iphone_cover.jpg

NorrisKillsKids

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
lol this is so obviously not the new iPhone it's painful.

Personally, and I'm no expert so I don't know if this is possible, but I'd like the screen to take up more of the face. Push the screen as high as possible, pushing the speaker up (like the nexus does), and make the screen as low as possible pushing the home button down or making it a tad smaller. Something along that line.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Can we get a new deisgn?!

I was hoping for the same thing! :( Something like below!

Forward facing video camera? Please? Please Apple! Please!!!!!!! Just on WiFi, At&T. I promise. PLEASE!!!!!!!!

More space for the camera? :eek:

You people are hopeless lol! There is NO WAY the next iPhone will get a camera when not even the iPad did! :rolleyes:

iSight will come to the iPad first and then to the iPhone with LTE as the main new fetaure!

Taller is fine if it's also thinner.

Agree! I want a higher res screen more than anything for this next version! It would also be a HUGE plus if they made the screen 16:9. But judging by the iPad I have my doubts. :(

What exactly do you wish to change about the minimalistic look of the front of the device?

Smaller ends where the ear speaker and home buttons are! If this is true and they made those spaces even BIGGER then I will be disappointed! :( Something more like below! Obviously it would have to be thicker though.

Attachments

• iPhone.jpg
    iPhone.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 156

ltcol266845

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
Elgin, IL
It might get a little bigger to incorporate a higher resolution display. Apple HAS to increase the resolution of the 4thGen iPhone in order to stay competitive. The Nexus One has a 3.7in screen that sports an 800x480 resolution!!! The N1's width resolution is equal to the iPhones height resolution! Its NUTS and awesome. They will do the same thing the iPad does for un-updated applications, off a 100% view or zoom to fill the screen until they are able to update their apps. They simply HAVE to increase the resolution.

My prediction for the upcoming design is that it will resemble to iPad. Apple tends to maintain similar styles for similar products. I'm guessing a uni-body style design with a black plastic/rubber area towards the top for the antenna (a la the 3G enabled iPad).

registerednerd

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2010
I think this may be bringing in a technology mentioned in an article about a month back. Apple filed a patent for an integrated touch sensor/screen. Notice that the screen is a slightly different shade of black. Possibly new display or backlight technology?

geoffism

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2005
NYC
Regardless

I'm excited all this chatter is starting. Bring on the new one (sooner than later would be cool)!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.