Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has done away with the traditional startup chime on its new MacBook Pro lineup because the machines automatically power on when the lid is opened.

Pingie.com was first to note the removal of the sound from Apple's new 13-inch and 15-inch laptops - both the models featuring Apple's new Touch Bar (as well as the 13-inch version without a Bar) automatically boot when opened or when connected to a power source if the battery is dead, so the sound has apparently been deemed surplus to requirements.

macbook_pro_2016_roundup_header.jpg

The iconic chiming startup sound was originally made to indicate that diagnostic tests have found no hardware or software issues. A similar sound has accompanied almost every Mac boot sequence since 1991 and the most recent F-sharp chord incarnation was first used in the iMac G3.

Originally, a C major chord was recorded by Apple engineer Jim Reekes using a Korg keyboard, and what most people hear these days is a pitch-shifted version of the sound made by the Macintosh Quadra family of professional computers, first released in 1991.

According to the book The Sonic Boom: How Sound Transforms the Way We Think, Feel, and Buy, Reekes' "earconic" sound came out of a desire to replace the older tritone boot sound heard on earlier Macs. Reekes wanted to use a more meditative sound to indicate the Mac had passed its initial Power On Self Test (POST) checks, a sound he later called a "palate cleanser for the ears".

According to Reekes, Apple executives didn't particularly like the sound, but it managed to make the final code that was shipped in all Quadra 700 Macs. The chime was tweaked a few times in subsequent Macs, but allegedly, Steve Jobs himself prevented any further alteration of the sound when he came back to Apple in 1996.

The Mac startup sound can also be heard in 2008 Disney-Pixar movie WALL*E. When the titular robot character has reached 100 percent power after positioning his solar array, the booting chime goes off.

Apple has updated its support documents to reflect the change. As noted previously, Apple has also removed the backlit Apple logo on new MacBook Pro models.

Update: As noted by a MacRumors forum poster, the boot chime can be turned back on and the automatic boot turned off using a few simple Terminal commands.

Article Link: Classic Mac Startup Chime Not Present in New MacBook Pros

Last edited:

RedBear

macrumors member
May 9, 2007
No more glowing logo. No more extension cord with a multi-thousand dollar laptop. No more control over when my computer boots up.

And now, no more startup chime.

It's official. Apple is dead to me.

Tim Cook, please resign. If you really care about the survival of the magic and heart and soul of the Apple that Steve Jobs created, you need to resign. You are killing everything that ever made Apple special.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I can assure you it'll have sounds for error messages - the chime was pretty useless for that because it just didn't sound if there was a problem - and occasionally if you got an error you'd have a different beep. Lately though RAM errors just don't make any sound and leave you staring at the computer waiting for something to happen.

To be honest I turned it off on all of my machines, was bloody annoying during a powercut when the iMac would reboot with full blast start up sound scaring the life out of you.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
No more glowing logo. No more extension cord with a multi-thousand dollar laptop. No more control over when my computer boots up.

Tim Cook, please resign. If you really care about the survival of the magic and heart and soul of the Apple that Steve Jobs created, you need to resign. You are killing everything that ever made Apple special.
Oh lord :rolleyes::rolleyes:

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK

It's slight hyberbole to declare a glowing logo, an extension cable and a startup chime is everything that made Apple special.

The magsafe connector is more important and useful than any of those things.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
For real? What is next? They wanna change the Apple logo? Sounds like they want to get rid of all that Steve put his heart into. Wow.

I was defending Tim for years. When everybody wanted Jonny to be the new CEO i was like Tim is the right man. He has the long term vision Steve had. How wrong I was. Tim has his own vision. Its Tims Apple now. I like some things he changed. The most things he changed I hate.

yanksfan114

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
As much as these things were great, all good things come to an end. Did you really expect the glowing Apple logo and a chime to be present in every macbook forever? They were cool things, but really guys, it's not the end of the world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.