Clicked on phishing link on iPhone - help please!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sophkrist, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Sophkrist macrumors newbie

Feeling very stupid right now... and quite worried - any help would be much appreciated.

I received a text from 'iCloud' saying my 'Apple and iCloud would be terminated' unless I confirmed my details through a link sent in the text. I don't know what I was thinking but I clicked on the link which took me to a website called something like icloud.auth.co.uk (I've deleted the text so can't fully remember). I DID NOT PUT MY DETAILS IN as I realised straight away how stupid I had been. I closed the tab straight away and put my phone on airplane mode as I remembered that someone had told me to do that if I ever clicked on a phishing link.

I've changed my Apple ID using my laptop now as well but I'm worried about what clicking on the link might mean and if there is anything else I can/should do. I have a card linked up to my Apple ID but I don't have Apple Pay or any mobile banking apps.

Is there anything else I should do? Is it necessary to change all my passwords? Should I reset the passcode to my phone? Anything else?

All help would be appreciated as I am really worried and feeling very clueless (and very stupid!)

2. Closingracer macrumors 68040

3. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

You didn't submit any info and it sounds like you changed what you need to in order to be safe.

4. MattXDA macrumors 6502

MattXDA

In reality though, all you needed to do was close the tab. You didn't enter any details so theres absolutely no point in changing anything - the website can't 'hack' your phone

5. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

This. You're good. Relax and enjoy your phone.

6. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

No worries...you remembered to not log in!

Rest easy...

7. Sophkrist thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Just remember when you get a link like that to never follow it. Go to the site yourself to make sure all is good. These scammers are getting more and more sophisticated.

9. mantan macrumors 68000

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

In the future, had you logged in, your next step(s) was appropriate. Changing your credentials ASAP is the way to go. Usually an account theif isn't going to get to it instantly.

11. Sophkrist thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, that is good to know.

12. electronicsguy macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

don't freak out so much, you're fine :) unless you give personal info, or a phishing website has a malware and you use insecure browsers/plugins like IE and Flash, you're in no trouble.

13. btbam91 macrumors regular

This.

14. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I've set up the following support page for people who go through the same thing:
    http://bit.ly/1cmjjtG

I hope it helps.

15. amandaloves1d8 macrumors newbie

amandaloves1d8

i clicked on the link too and entered my apple id and password but once i got to the next screen i saw where i had to enter an ssn and i was like “i don’t feel comfortable putting my ssn out there” so i didn’t submit any info. is my apple id safe or do i need to change it?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 29, 2018 ---
    omg i got rickrolled
    --- Post Merged, Dec 29, 2018 ---
    edit: i changed my apple id password

16. revmacian, Dec 29, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2018

revmacian macrumors 6502a

revmacian

Did you just post a strange link in a thread asking for help about clicking strange links?

17. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

Damn you! I fell for it!

18. AppleHaterLover macrumors 65816

That’s a very important security update.

19. amandaloves1d8 macrumors newbie

amandaloves1d8

i clicked on the link too and entered my apple id and password but once i got to the next screen i saw where i had to enter an ssn and i was like “i don’t feel comfortable putting my ssn out there” so i didn’t submit any info. is my apple id safe or do i need to change it? (i changed my apple id password btw)

20. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

It's the combination of id and password that matters. Since you changed your password, your icloud/apple account should now be secure. However, if you have used that same id/old password on some other site(s), I would recommend going to those other site(s) and changing the password there as well (especially if they are significant in any way -- paypal, amazon, gmail, dropbox, banks, etc.). It is possible that your id/old password will show up on the dark web.

21. burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

Only additional step I would do is erase history in Safari and check to be sure all cookies were deleted. I do that regularly anyway.

22. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

2 years old thread, hmm...

23. Aye boi macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Jan 20, 2019 ---
    What if it is malware? What do you do then?

24. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68020

BugeyeSTI

The post you responded to is more than 2 years old and the poster hasn’t been on the forum for more than 2 months...

25. HEK, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019

HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

It’s time of year old threads start popping up.

Threads go through cycles.

New iPhone fever in September. How to order, how to track, I got mine, did you get your’s threads.

Then come the open box, wow I love it, oh god I hate it threads.

Closely followed by series of “gate” threads. Apple doomed, android better threads.

Once this dies down and before rumors of next year’s iPhone begin in earnest very little to thread about so a bunch of old threads are rehashed. Why McRumers keeps em in storage.

By spring the rumors will be swarming the threads again. Leak threads will abound. Analysts will anal-ize and insiders will turn themselves inside out dishing out what some little birdie told them. This will continue and intensify till September announcement, to start anew, the cycle.

Thread cycles do overlap and are augmented with threads about cases, accessories, chargers, ear phone, and some legitimate question from new users. With the occasional toilet drop thread. And the ever present my battery went to 99% health freak out threads.

So watch for the old threads coming back to life. It’s that time of the year.