Cog 2016

mag01

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
Hello,
first thanks for such great effort. I've got just 2 questions:
- why don't you put the sources to some online repository such as github? That would be more transparent if someone else would be interested in taking over the development in the future. You can also publish the built artifacts there.
- how does this differ (besides the dark theme) from kode54's fork ( https://gitlab.kode54.net/kode54/Cog ) ? Or simply from what has this been forked? I mean kode54 has done some work on it already (since it was abandoned by the original devs) so it would be nice to base any current development on his fork instead of the original branch.

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
I'm glad to see Cog is still being developed! :)

OP: I was going to ask the same questions that mag01 asked in post #58. I'm curious about the future of Cog.

vivo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
@mag01 I am not sure about the 3rd party libs & frameworks those are not mine. Original Cog is also not my work to be clear.

I can put up the source in a zip here if someone likes it.

MacUser2525

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
@mag01 I am not sure about the 3rd party libs & frameworks those are not mine. Original Cog is also not my work to be clear.

I can put up the source in a zip here if someone likes it.
Those are dependencies your program requires they would not be uploaded into its source code repository rather downloaded and complied (if necessary) from their own to be available at compile time for cog. The original was released under the GPL as is yours since you took that work as the basis for yours and have released binaries of it. When you release binaries based on the GPL code it states you make the modified source of the work available for others to use if they so wish to. I am not certain if .zip qualifies but it is better than nothing and should be released upon each update to comply with making the source changes available to all who wish to use it.

mag01

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
Well, while zip archive is acceptable form of publishing the source code (to fulfil the GPL requirement), some decent online source code repository would be much better. Any changes are tracked, you can maintain multiple branches, collaboration is easier etc...

As for the 3rd party code, MacUser2525 is right. Moreover you can have a look at https://gitlab.kode54.net/kode54/Cog and check how it's published there.

mag01

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
@vivo I finally got to play with it a little and there's one drawback in this version when compared to kode54's - this one can't play network streams
1. The option File > Add URL displays a non-editable combo box, however there's a way around it via adding the URL via kode54's Cog after which that URL will at least appear in this one as an option in the drop down list.
2. Even if I manage to add the URL via the above workaround, this Cog version doesn't play the stream (while kode54's does). I tested a simple 64kbps mp3 stream.
3. There's also a minor bug (that's currently present in all Cog forks) which causes the "Add URL" option to replace the current playlist instead of just adding the required entry there.

Don't you want to try to rebase your fork on kode54's? That would help (not only) in this case.

vivo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
Just to let you know, i just downloaded Kode54's source. Let's see.

vivo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
I investigated, it is a lot of work to merge my changes in it, so it will be 10.11 only.

pcpaul

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2014
Awesome, thanks a lot!

Why keyboard Media keys (play, next, previous) are not working? I guess, it somehow conflicts with a VLC framework, because in all previous versions, versions without a video player, media keys worked.

Last edited:

mag01

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
@vivo Great, thanks for you effort. However even with this version I'm unable to play a streamed mp3 while kode54's Cog plays it just fine.
Nothing happens on attempt to play the stream, the time field shows very weird values (negative numbers) which matches the following error in the system.log:
Code:
Cog[19009]: Error: this application, or a library it uses, has passed an invalid numeric value (NaN, or not-a-number) to CoreGraphics API and this value is being ignored.Please fix this problem.
Cog[19009]: CGContextAddCurveToPoint: no current point.
Cog[19009]: clip: empty path.
And regarding the failure to play the stream itself the following error appears there as well:
Code:
Cog[19009]: -[FFmpegAudioDecoder open:] (line 56) ERROR OPENING FILE, errcode = -1330794744, error = Protocol not found
As I don't want to post the URL right here I'll send you the URL of that stream via PM, but it's an ordinary HTTP URL pointing to a streamed MP3 content.

Last edited:

healersource10

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2016
Vivo thanks so much for your efforts! I spent all afternoon looking through different Audio players for OSX and this is hands down *exactly* what I was looking for.

A couple of small bugs I found... In the latest version the FX list is empty. When I click 'FX' the popup appears, but the only option is 'No Effect', there's nothing else in the list.

Also - it would be really great if it remembered which effect I have selected when i restart the program.

As it is currently, every time I start Cog I have to select EQ, and then draw my own eq graph. Would be super if it actually remembered my eq settings too!

Thanks again for the AMAZING effort!

I think you could *easily* put up a commercial website and charge some $ for a premium version if you felt like it :)

Last edited:

healersource10

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2016
Wow that was super quick! Ask and ye shall receive.....

Like I said before.. Only thing that I would add is for it to remember FX/ EQ settings when I quit and restart. Other than that.. This is the *perfect* audio player :)