Cog 2016

Suspended
Oct 1, 2014
Hi vivo,

Would you mind if I asked you to link me a list of Cog's notable features (or post one here if it's not listed elsewhere)? I've looked through the thread, and there's very little information in that regard. I've checked out the MacUpdate page for (what I believe is) the original, and it's pretty spartan, as is the page for Christopher Snow's fork and Dmitri Promsky's fork.

What I'd like is something free (don't we all?) that offers Hog-mode and various other potentially audio-enhancing features offered by the likes of Audirvana.

I see in post 55 you mention adding video playback: which formats does that support, and does it take advantage of any of the "potentially audio-enhancing features" I just referred to? If the answer to the latter is, "yes," this is a project I would gladly follow and pay for if the video playback/UX is of VLC/iTunes quality, but with the audio-enhancing tricks added. This would make your Cog fork unique in the video playback world, AFAICT.

:)

mag01

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
Updated to the latest version (for 10.11) and the Info Inspector still refuses to do its thing :confused:

vivo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
@CliftonHighgrov : maybe in future version, atm focussing on iOS Remote App for Cog :)

@mag01 : What does it refuse? Maybe trash ~/Library/Preferences/org.cogx.cog.plist when Cog is NOT open

For those interested, PM me for an iPhone/iPad remote app for Cog. I will need your iOS UDID number.

mag01

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
@vivo I tried deleting the Cog plist (~/Library/Preferences/org.cogx.cog.plist) and it did reset the preferences alright, but unfortunately there's no difference regarding the Info Inspector funcionality - it just doesn't do anything. I select a file in the playlist, click on the "i" button and nothing happens.

But when I do the same (and on the same file) in kode54's fork of Cog, it shows the "Info Inspector" window that displays the basic media file metadata.

vivo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
@mag01 Ok now I understand, the (i) is for showing artwork view (on/off). Info Inspector from original Cog = gone

mag01

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
@vivo Aah ok, then please rename its caption because it still says "Info Inspector" which is misleading.

vivo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
my latest version says on (i) : "Information on the selected file". I can make the tooltip say: "Show/hide artwork" of course.

mag01

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
Yes, tooltip says "Information on the selected file" but the caption text (displayed if you select "Text Only" or "Icon and Text" mode or also in the Customize Toolbar view) says "Info Inspector". In any case, "Show/hide artwork" would be more appropriate.

Last edited:

mag01

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
One little annoyance :-D
- Running El Capitan with the default setup "Displays have separate Spaces" (enabled) in Mission Control preferences.
- Cog main window shows up at all desktop screens. I'd prefer to see it at just one of them - the one where I launched it first or where I moved it to - just like it's with pretty much all the other apps.

Last edited:

vivo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
Here is a screenshot of the state my Cog Remote iPad app is in.

Well, at least it's got a levelmeter in it ! On the right is the waveform display but it's not updating yet.

nebyoolae

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2010
San Diego, CA
@vivo I may be uninformed, coming to this set of threads late, but have you considered putting up your source on Github/Bitbucket so it's easier to see all the changes/releases you're making, rather than scouring multiple threads on this forum? It'd make it easer for all to suggest bugs/feature requests and keep track of it all.

Regardless, keep the updates coming :)

zackthedog

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2016
@vivo I may be uninformed, coming to this set of threads late, but have you considered putting up your source on Github/Bitbucket so it's easier to see all the changes/releases you're making, rather than scouring multiple threads on this forum? It'd make it easer for all to suggest bugs/feature requests and keep track of it all.

Regardless, keep the updates coming :)
I've tried almost all the hi-res players out there for Mac, both free and EXPENSIVE, and this is one of the best, if not THE best, I've heard. Very nice work.

Reactions: vivo

vivo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
FYI: atm I am rewriting / converting all Cog sources from Objective-C to Swift.

Maybe I'll try to put it in the MAS as a *free* app as I have gotten exclusive permission to try.
Also rebranding it with another name etc. Also got permission for that.

But it's really a lot of work and errors in Swift to resolve.

pcpaul

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2014
It would be awesome if you could at some point to integrate somewhere at the bottom a Waveform seek bar like in Nulloy, that's the only thing I miss for it to be the best player of them all...
https://github.com/nulloy/nulloy

BTW, color themes don't work while trying your latest May 14, 2016 upload on 10.12 developer beta 3. It stays black.
Apr 28, 2016 version works.

thanks for your awesome work.

Last edited: