Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ColorWare today introduced a customized iPhone 7 Plus Retro Edition that resembles the appearance of a vintage 1980s-era Macintosh for $1,899. It is a SIM-Free model with 256GB of storage, which normally retails for $969 in the United States. Orders are currently estimated to ship in 2-3 weeks.

iphone-7-plus-retro-edition.jpg

The design includes a multicolored Apple rainbow logo and dark beige edge stripes painted over what is originally a Black colored iPhone 7 Plus. ColorWare said the iPhone 7 Plus Retro Edition will be available for a limited time only, and the first 25 sold will include a number of authenticity.

Details about the customization process:
At ColorWare, the product goes through a labor intensive process of disassembly, cleaning, masking, painting and inspection. Then, the product is buffed and reassembled. The product goes through final inspection and is packaged into the original packaging.
iPhone 7 Plus Retro Edition includes EarPods, a Lightning to USB Cable, a USB Power Adapter, and documentation in the box.

Article Link: ColorWare Launches iPhone 7 Plus Retro Edition With Vintage Mac Design for $1,899

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I've always wondered how all these ColorWare things hold up through wear and tear.

Anything painted can be chipped or scratched through.

I'd imagine it probably holds semi comparable to the original paint.

One thing I did like about plastic phones is that they didn't usually show wear marks because the plastic was that color. So the color didn't tend to get damaged.

Would I pay $900+ for a paint job on my phone? No.

A phone is a tool. It will get damaged. Why invest additional money into the paint? It's just going to get beat up anyway. Unless you're going to put it in a case (which negates the paint job), or treat it like a delicate flower (which defeats the purpose of having a tool).

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
And that's the style I was saying a year ago should be this year's anniversary edition device. Probably not with the colored apple logo on the back but the colorway would have been perfect otherwise. I would get a wrap or a slim case with this design but I would never buy from these guys to paint something.. prices are crazy!

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
There are people out there who will pay well over the odds for a limited edition paint job of an existing product.

When Sony released a limited number of 20th anniversary grey-white coloured PS4s, last year, they were trading for 3-5 times the cost of a regular PS4, despite being identical inside.

I won one in a competition and flogged it on eBay for over a grand! Crazy!!

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
It would be cool if Apple paid some homage to early Macs with a retro iMac or Mac mini.
But they're not big on nostalgia so, it's not likely.

Yeah, retro isn't Apple's thing. Otherwise we'd have things like expansion slots, memory slots, durable enclosures / cases, replaceable components. Etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.