ColorWare Launches iPhone 7 Plus Retro Edition With Vintage Mac Design for $1,899

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 16, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

ColorWare today introduced a customized iPhone 7 Plus Retro Edition that resembles the appearance of a vintage 1980s-era Macintosh for $1,899. It is a SIM-Free model with 256GB of storage, which normally retails for $969 in the United States. Orders are currently estimated to ship in 2-3 weeks.

[​IMG]

The design includes a multicolored Apple rainbow logo and dark beige edge stripes painted over what is originally a Black colored iPhone 7 Plus. ColorWare said the iPhone 7 Plus Retro Edition will be available for a limited time only, and the first 25 sold will include a number of authenticity.

Details about the customization process:
    iPhone 7 Plus Retro Edition includes EarPods, a Lightning to USB Cable, a USB Power Adapter, and documentation in the box.

Article Link: ColorWare Launches iPhone 7 Plus Retro Edition With Vintage Mac Design for $1,899

2. 1080p macrumors 68030

1080p

3. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

4. GeneralChang macrumors 65816

Looks very nice. Absolutely not worth the price, but it does look very nice.

5. shareef777 Suspended

shareef777

As the saying goes, there's a sucker born every minute.

6. Appleaker macrumors 68020

If they wanted to do a vintage Mac, they could have done the Mac Pro.... Although I guess that's essentially Jet Black.

7. lobbyist macrumors regular

lobbyist

I've always wondered how all these ColorWare things hold up through wear and tear.

8. mfrazier35 macrumors newbie

Seems like you could get 90% of the same look by throwing a $10 case on a regular iPhone 7..

9. H2SO4 macrumors 601

Funniest thing I’ve read in a while. One thousand. Eight hundred and. Ninety. Nine. Dollars.

10. ike1707 macrumors 6502

ike1707

Sexy af, but a $10 case sounds more appealing

11. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

Anything painted can be chipped or scratched through.

I'd imagine it probably holds semi comparable to the original paint.

One thing I did like about plastic phones is that they didn't usually show wear marks because the plastic was that color. So the color didn't tend to get damaged.

Would I pay $900+ for a paint job on my phone? No.

A phone is a tool. It will get damaged. Why invest additional money into the paint? It's just going to get beat up anyway. Unless you're going to put it in a case (which negates the paint job), or treat it like a delicate flower (which defeats the purpose of having a tool).

12. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

And that's the style I was saying a year ago should be this year's anniversary edition device. Probably not with the colored apple logo on the back but the colorway would have been perfect otherwise. I would get a wrap or a slim case with this design but I would never buy from these guys to paint something.. prices are crazy!

13. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

Totally buying one and throwing a case on it on day 1 to never look at it again.

14. GeneralChang macrumors 65816

Zzzzzzzing!

15. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

I actually like the look - but not for an extra grand....not even close. An extra $50 maybe.

16. lobbyist macrumors regular

lobbyist

17. michaelant macrumors regular

michaelant

Looks great, IMO. If I were a millionaire, I'd consider it.

18. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

If I was a millionaire, I wouldn't bother with the iPhone at all. I'd let other people handle trivial tasks like answering calls.

19. DEXTERITY macrumors 6502a

Apple please copy this idea - or someone give me a winning lottery ticket :)

20. satchmo macrumors 68020

It would be cool if Apple paid some homage to early Macs with a retro iMac or Mac mini.
    But they're not big on nostalgia so, it's not likely.

21. Trik macrumors 6502

Haha, how many people say that about all Apple products?

22. BMcCoy macrumors 68000

BMcCoy

There are people out there who will pay well over the odds for a limited edition paint job of an existing product.

When Sony released a limited number of 20th anniversary grey-white coloured PS4s, last year, they were trading for 3-5 times the cost of a regular PS4, despite being identical inside.

I won one in a competition and flogged it on eBay for over a grand! Crazy!!

23. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

This surely could be accomplished by a really thin case?

24. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

Yeah, retro isn't Apple's thing. Otherwise we'd have things like expansion slots, memory slots, durable enclosures / cases, replaceable components. Etc.

25. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

No. Your opinion doesn't dismiss what somebody chooses to do with how their money is spent. And if somebody sees this fit as reformatting their iPhone To resemble a vintage piece from Apple, it's their decision and there is nothing wrong with that.