Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmmacops

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2019
We use Hulu+Live TV now. How does this compare? (We have comcast for internet only). Assuming I would cancel Hulu+Live TV and then add a TV package to my Comcast bill?
How is it? I’m considering it. We have the no ads HD version, but I want my local sports stuff…Boston Market.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I just installed it in both my Apple TV 4K+ and it works. But you only get Stereo mix, not DD. I get DD 5.1 with my Xfinity 4K DVR boxes as in my two setups I'm running 7.2.4 ATMOS speakers setup. But if you don't have a surround speaker system then the Xfinity Stream app would work just fine.

Are you sure about not getting the DD5.1 with the app? My usual method of detecting it does not work with this but my ears "think" they are hearing discrete sounds out of the speakers (not Pro logic or similar). I'm certainly not 100% sure without any scientific way to test- just subjectively using my ears on shows and movies known to be DD5.1- so I may be getting fooled by fake surround.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Like all internet traffic on Comcast/Xfinity, it all goes against your data cap unlike the cable modem box receiving TV channels.

and there it is. Just when it looks like there is a slimmer of hope that Comcast can stop doing everything in their power to be hostile to paying customers, they slip this crap in.

Reactions: tmmacops

xjt

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
Are you sure about not getting the DD5.1 with the app? My usual method of detecting it does not work with this but my ears "think" they are hearing discrete sounds out of the speakers (not Pro logic or similar). I'm certainly not 100% sure without any scientific way to test- just subjectively using my ears on shows and movies known to be DD5.1- so I may be getting fooled by fake surround.
I see only Stereo also which is same as Roku app… so far most live TV services are stereo only. Hulu Live had 5.1 for some channels and YouTube TV just added support this year, so hopefully Comcast does also in future. 5.1 is only feature miss from having box but could not justify cost of keeping box for just one feature.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
We use Hulu+Live TV now. How does this compare? (We have comcast for internet only). Assuming I would cancel Hulu+Live TV and then add a TV package to my Comcast bill?

Compare what you like to watch on Hulu and what that costs vs. what it will take to get the same via Xfinity. If Xfinity costs less, maybe you save some money. Comcast will do bundle pricing and if you put up a good fight and/or threaten to leave on each renewal, they tend to prefer to keep you instead of calling your bluff. So there MAY be savings for you in this. You just need to check the math based on channels you must have... and then be tough each year when they want to end the promotional pricing.

Last edited:
Reactions: xjt

jimimac71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2019
California
I happily kicked Xfinity to the curb a few years back.
But I'm confused by why an Xfinity subscriber would also want this app. Better UI?
I have the Flex box as my cable box. It is worse than ever.
Audio is miserable and the UI is stupid.
I’m not crazy about using data to watch TV, but that’s what cord cutters do.
About once a month, my Xfinity Internet needs to be restarted.
Not good if I’m watching TV.
I like having OTA channels that don’t stream.
Can’t use antenna in my area.
Glad to see the Xfinity option finally.
No Roku Channel on ATV.
Deal breaker.
Roku is easy, has all the channels, and numerous price points.
Still the best.

Reactions: lazyrighteye

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
Does this require xfinity internet or can you use it with any internet like you do on other devices? I plan to drop Youtube TV and use my xfinity account linked to another residence, but the home I want to do that in uses a different ISP.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I see only Stereo also which is same as Roku app… so far most live TV services are stereo only. Hulu Live had 5.1 for some channels and YouTube TV just added support this year, so hopefully Comcast does also in future. 5.1 is only feature miss from having box but could not justify cost of keeping box for just one feature.

If you mean you see only Stereo in icons on show descriptions, yes, I see some of that too. But there is a setting choice for "Dolby" though it doesn't specifically say Dolby Digital or 5.1 or similar. I suspect prime time tonight will have more programming known to be in DD5.1 so that will be the better time to do more subjective tests. Right now, there's only a few things on that I know are DD5.1 (sources) like Spiderman Homecoming.

xjt

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
and there it is. Just when it looks like there is a slimmer of hope that Comcast can stop doing everything in their power to be hostile to paying customers, they slip this crap in.
It does not count against data cap… have been using the Roku app daily for almost two years now on multiple TVs. It specifically mentions it does not count if you go to the support site.

MrSkoTA

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
When will we be able to choose any Cable TV Streaming service we want from around the world!?! The competition would be fantastic!

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Does this require xfinity internet or can you use it with any internet like you do on other devices? I plan to drop Youtube TV and use my xfinity account linked to another residence, but the home I want to do that in uses a different ISP.

There is an authentication process where you login with Xfinity... presumably to verify you have a current cable subscription. Conceptually, I suppose one could subscribe to Xfinity cable but get their internet from someone else... so I would guess- but don't know- that that should work.

Also, it might have some kind of localization checking built into it too though, so using this "full time" for an account many miles away may or may not work in that scenario. It seems like just trying would be the way to see what happens in your situation. Maybe?

fjfjfjfj

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
New York, NY
How is it? I’m considering it. We have the no ads HD version, but I want my local sports stuff…Boston Market.
We like it and it’s been pretty reliable. The DVR function frustrates us sometimes. There seems to be no consistency on when you have to watch commercials on recorded shows vs when you don’t. You could literally be watching a show and be able to fast forward through commercials. Go back to the same show later and you can’t fast forward through commercials any longer. It’s glitchy in that way.

Reactions: tmmacops

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
There is an authentication process where you login with Xfinity... presumably to verify you have a current cable subscription. Conceptually, I suppose one could subscribe to Xfinity cable but get their internet from someone else... so I would guess- but don't know- that that should work.

Also, it might have some kind of localization checking built into it too though, so using this "full time" for an account many miles away may or may not work in that scenario. It seems like just trying would be the way to see what happens in your situation. Maybe?

Thanks. That's how it works on iPad and iPhone at least. I am able to stream cable on both of those devices even though my ISP is through AT&T Fiber. I'll give it a shot. I'd much prefer to pay one cable bill rather than two. I really only use cable for live sports. So far, I use the Xfinity account through Apple TV apps without an issue.

xjt

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
If you mean you see only Stereo in icons on show descriptions, yes, I see some of that too. But there is a setting choice for "Dolby" though it doesn't specifically say Dolby Digital or 5.1 or similar. I suspect prime time tonight will have more programming known to be in DD5.1 so that will be the better time to do more subjective tests. Right now, there's only a few things on that I know are DD5.1 (sources) like Spiderman Homecoming.
Hmm I took a quick look in Sonos app cause use Sonos Beam and it shows Stereo PCM… but I am also hearing sound come from rear speakers and for sure never heard sound from rears when using Roku Ultra and Xfinity app…. So not sure what has changed. Seems like somehow Stereo is being sent to rears cause hear dialogue would normally only hear from center channel if was true 5.1

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Thanks. That's how it works on iPad and iPhone at least. I am able to stream cable on both of those devices even though my ISP is through AT&T Fiber. I'll give it a shot. I'd much prefer to pay one cable bill rather than two. I really only use cable for live sports. So far, I use the Xfinity account through Apple TV apps without an issue.

Same with me in terms of using it on mobile devices. It seems plausible it would be the same on AppleTV but you never know with Comcast.

If you try and it doesn't work, a good alternative is Channels (app) and HDHomeRun Prime with a cablecard. Channels can let you remotely stream when away from home through their app. That's still my preferred way for TV watching of all choices- including this one- so I'll only be using this as a backup or for just a few things that this and leased boxes can do that Channels+HDHomeRun Prime can't.

Last edited:
Reactions: BD1

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Hmm I took a quick look in Sonos app cause use Sonos Beam and it shows Stereo PCM… but I am also hearing sound come from rear speakers and for sure never heard sound from rears when using Roku Ultra and Xfinity app…. So not sure what has changed.

Again, we may be being fooled here but I'm not convinced yet that DD5.1 is unavailable. Knowing Comcast, probably. But still, my ears have some subjective hope.

Did you try something that you KNOW is a DD5.1 source? Spiderman Homecoming was running on (was it) Starz HD but may be done by now. Look through the guide for a recent movie or show you know is in DD5.1 and check again. I'd love to know conclusively myself.

Edit: My post made me wonder about going ahead and looking at the PrimeTime schedule to see if shows I know use 5.1 show anything different in the descriptions. While I don't see this in some that I know are DD shows, there is this D icon in others (like tonights Law & Order) I've boxed in Red below that MIGHT mean something (good)...

XfinIconD.jpg

...or might mean who knows what else. With Comcast, it might mean "Debit card required" or "Deducting all we can from you if you watch this" or similar. ;)

However, it's not hard to guess that that might also mean at least "Dolby"... possibly only Stereo but maybe more.

I couldn't find anything in a bunch of checks that has that showing in descriptions right now. But I didn't check every possible channel so maybe someone will find something and can give it a try with something that will tell them for sure what kind of sound they are getting.

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up much. Streaming is usually NOT DD5.1 audio and that would definitely differentiate this option vs. leased boxes for those that want true surround sound... one reason I go the Channels (app) plus HD HomeRunPrime route myself. But at least it's a maybe hypothesis right now until someone can confirm or refute for certain.

Last edited:

sppunk

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Does this mean I can watch Xfinity withoit a coax connection? I have Directv but plan on dropping it for YouTube tv. My coax is DTv whereas Comcast comes in one corner for one single coax where my modem/router is.

Adding TV would actually be cheaper than going to YTTV but I can’t due to the coax issue (no idea if they can move the external line into the box that ties to the house coax)

enricoclaudio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2017

I get 5.1 input signal from almost every channel with my X1 4K DVR boxes. With Apple TV 4K+ and Xfinity Stream app only get Stereo input signal:

X1 DVR Box:

IMG_2507.jpeg

Apple TV 4K+ and Xfinity Stream app:

IMG_2508.jpeg

Basically the Xfinity Stream app is making the Apple TV 4K+ output PCM 2.0 as you can see in the above photo.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
Does the Apple TV app also have the ~31 second delay like Roku app has vs a regular cable box?

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
It does mean you could use the Apple TVs with the new Xfinity Streaming app instead of the TV set-top boxes.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I get 5.1 input signal from almost every channel with my X1 4K DVR boxes. With Apple TV 4K+ and Xfinity Stream app only get Stereo input signal:

Basically the Xfinity Stream app is making the Apple TV 4K+ output PCM 2.0 as you can see in the above photo.
Xfinity didn't supply X1 4K DVR boxes to most subscribers, usually just the HD versions, so what content is offered in 4k that is unique to that usage?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5

X1 DVR Box:

View attachment 2024989

Apple TV 4K+ and Xfinity Stream app:

View attachment 2024991

That looks pretty conclusive. Presumably whatever you were testing on TNT is in DD5.1 when you compare with the leased box. That would be the last thing to really know for sure. Whatever that is looks modern enough that is should probably have DD5.1.

Thank you for going to that trouble. It looks like you've settled this issue.

Those who care about DD enough probably stick with the leased boxes OR switch to Channels + HDHomeRunPrime & Cablecard or similar. Those OK with stereo only and faux surround may at least have a new option to consider against the various streamers who are also generally only stereo audio.

Last edited:
Reactions: xjt

xjt

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
Xfinity didn't supply X1 4K DVR boxes to most subscribers, usually just the HD versions, so what content is offered in 4k that is unique to that usage?
The X1 4K box does not support live 4K stream but you can login to Netflix on it… tried it a few times but was really slow. Might be a good option for maybe an elderly person wants to watch Netflix without using multiple device… or might be good if your 4K TV doesn’t have a good upscaler for non 4K content.

Reactions: Realityck
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.