Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enricoclaudio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2017
Xfinity didn't supply X1 4K DVR boxes to most subscribers, usually just the HD versions, so what content is offered in 4k that is unique to that usage?

Not too much to be honest. I have two X1 4K DVR boxes in my house and I got them for free directly from my local Comcast store about 3 or 4 years ago way before COVID. I think they charge me $10 only for the second DVR. But I only watch 4K HDR and Dolby Vision content with my Apple TV 4K+ or my Panasonic UB9000 player.

Chateaunole-du-Pape

macrumors regular
May 25, 2022
Can you pause and rewind live TV with this?

The lack of that functionality and the slight lag vs. the live broadcast feed (annoying when you're watching sports and your friend or Dad texts you, "Wow, they scored!" 30 seconds before you see it) are the only truly annoying things about the similar Roku app. Not annoying enough to keeping me from using it - we have only one Xfinity box and then use Roku for Xfinity on all of our other TVs, thereby saving us $30-40/month - but if the Apple TV variant allowed me to pause or rewind live TV, I would go out and buy one right now.

tmmacops

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2019
It does mean you could use the Apple TVs with the new Xfinity Streaming app instead of the TV set-top boxes.
After doing more testing, it appears mine works, but it doesn’t support all the local broadcasts, like some of our local sports and news stuff. Initially I just tried my favorite channels and got the 00249 error. Then after a bit the “Watch” button was greyed out. Error is gone, but no way to stream. I guess they want to be sure they don’t lose that $10/month set top box revenue.

• Haha
Reactions: Realityck

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
If you mean within a cable provider like this, then generally no. U.S. Cable is usually a big bundle of channels for one price... with several additional bundle (tiers) for additional fees.

But by "no way", Americans also now have al-a-carte where we can get little bundles of channels from individual apps, such as only the HBO channels, etc. Our major networks offer their channel's programming in their own apps and those are generally available for "single channel" watching.

The big deal about this is the ability to dump the leased cable box and its cost while still getting most of the benefits of leasing that box. For some households with multiple TVs, that could get up into $30-$50 or more per month in box rentals.
Oh, I guess I didn't realize I could purchase (say) an NBC app and watch live content sans a TV provider login. Thought those were always tied to Dish, or Xfinity or... Been while since I have checked in on this.

dreamsayer

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
Why would anyone who has their TV service choose to log into an app on Apple TV, when they can just watch the same channel live on the same TV, or just DVR their favorite shows for later viewing?

I swear, this world...
Because you would need a cable box. They charge an extra monthly rental fee for that box. Using the app eliminates the $box$ fees.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobcomer

xjt

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
Can you pause and rewind live TV with this?

The lack of that functionality and the slight lag vs. the live broadcast feed (annoying when you're watching sports and your friend or Dad texts you, "Wow, they scored!" 30 seconds before you see it) are the only truly annoying things about the similar Roku app. Not annoying enough to keeping me from using it - we have only one Xfinity box and then use Roku for Xfinity on all of our other TVs, thereby saving us $30-40/month - but if the Apple TV variant allowed me to pause or rewind live TV, I would go out and buy one right now.
I see I can pause it but cannot rewind. When I unpause it jumps forward to current point in live stream.

Reactions: Chateaunole-du-Pape

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Oh, I guess I didn't realize I could purchase (say) an NBC app and watch live content sans a TV provider login. Thought those were always tied to Dish, or Xfinity or... Been while since I have checked in on this.

Rules in America are all over the place. I'm over the air (antenna) for locals but also a Comcast subscriber for favored cable channels so I really don't know how "low" it can go. For me local (major networks) are free (over the air) and also bundled into Comcast basic so their (free- no purchase required) apps might be getting authenticated via the Comcast subscription. I have a friend who gets local CBS for free inside of the Pluto TV app and another who gets local NBC with no cable subscription via their app, so I would guess at least those two are truly free.

Last edited:

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Since we are discussing using the app rather then a TV box;
Example of 2 boxes rented
TV Box + Remote $15.00 Qty 2 @ $7.50 each USD

So they obviously still like to play this game knowing that you be teased for the $30 extra for no data cap.

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
Here in Portugal been using the Apple TV as a setopbox for two major cable operators.

Live TV, pause, rewind, record,, watch later … you name it. All HD … on a few SD.

We can also have more than one Apple TV at home.

squirrellydw

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2003
Does this work if I’m not at home? Example take my Appletv with me while traveling can I watch everything or just some channels

darabo

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2013
Does anyone know if the Apple TV have to be in the same home as the Xfinity subscription, or can one log onto the app in another Apple TV?

I have a subaccount via my partner's parent's Xfinity account, and am able to access "on the go" live streaming via the iOS app, but I'm not sure about the Apple TV version.

tmmacops

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2019
I’m getting the same thing. Did you find a fix?
Check a bunch of channels. It took a bit to have the device provisioned I guess. But I still can’t get some of my favorite HD local channels. Kind of a disappointment.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
Check a bunch of channels. It took a bit to have the device provisioned I guess. But I still can’t get some of my favorite HD local channels. Kind of a disappointment.
So far no channels or anything on demand have worked. I am updating to the TvOS beta now. Maybe I need to give it a minute to register the device. Going to be disappointed if this only works on Xfinity internet, but I am not sure that's the case

tmmacops

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2019
So far no channels or anything on demand have worked. I am updating to the TvOS beta now. Maybe I need to give it a minute to register the device. Going to be disappointed if this only works on Xfinity internet, but I am not sure that's the case
It’s supposed to work as long as you have an Xfinity cable package, so I’m told. Internet shouldn’t matter.

Try to unplug the ATV and turn on again. I know some that got the error did that and it worked.

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

jimimac71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2019
California
Again, we may be being fooled here but I'm not convinced yet that DD5.1 is unavailable. Knowing Comcast, probably. But still, my ears have some subjective hope.

Did you try something that you KNOW is a DD5.1 source? Spiderman Homecoming was running on (was it) Starz HD but may be done by now. Look through the guide for a recent movie or show you know is in DD5.1 and check again. I'd love to know conclusively myself.

Edit: My post made me wonder about going ahead and looking at the PrimeTime schedule to see if shows I know use 5.1 show anything different in the descriptions. While I don't see this in some that I know are DD shows, there is this D icon in others (like tonights Law & Order) I've boxed in Red below that MIGHT mean something (good)...

View attachment 2024995

...or might mean who knows what else. With Comcast, it might mean "Debit card required" or "Deducting all we can from you if you watch this" or similar. ;)

However, it's not hard to guess that that might also mean at least "Dolby"... possibly only Stereo but maybe more.

I couldn't find anything in a bunch of checks that has that showing in descriptions right now. But I didn't check every possible channel so maybe someone will find something and can give it a try with something that will tell them for sure what kind of sound they are getting.

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up much. Streaming is usually NOT DD5.1 audio and that would definitely differentiate this option vs. leased boxes for those that want true surround sound... one reason I go the Channels (app) plus HD HomeRunPrime route myself. But at least it's a maybe hypothesis right now until someone can confirm or refute for certain.
It means DVS (Descriptive Video Service). Designed for blind people. It describes what’s on the screen.
The app looks way better than anything else I’ve seen!

squirrellydw

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2003
Does anyone know if the Apple TV have to be in the same home as the Xfinity subscription, or can one log onto the app in another Apple TV?

I have a subaccount via my partner's parent's Xfinity account, and am able to access "on the go" live streaming via the iOS app, but I'm not sure about the Apple TV version.
I would like to know this also

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.