Comics/Manga - What do you read?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SilentPanda, Oct 15, 2013.

1. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Just curious if any MacRumorer's read comics and/or manga. If so what do you read? What are you reading? What are you ordering for the future? What is that one issue you really want?

2. TSE macrumors 68030

Currently reading One Piece. Previous ones I've read are Shaman King and Yuyu Hakasho.

3. musicjunky macrumors regular

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I rarely ever read comics or manga, mostly because I'm not super invested in the scene, and don't know what's good to check out.

But I'll say this, anything by Junji Ito is freaky gold. I read Spiral a couple years back, and thought it was excellent from beginning to end.

5. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Just for starters. There are probably more but I'm not home right now so this is just from memory.

Strangers in Paradise
    Echo
    Rachel Rising
    Sin City
    Runaways
    Fables
    Fairest
    Unwritten
    Sandman
    Jack of Fables
    Dark Knight Returns
    Locke & Key
    Walking Dead
    American Vampire
    Birds of Prey
    Batman
    Harley Quinn
    Catwoman
    30 Days of Nights
    Dawn
    Mind the Gap
    Morning Glories
    RASL
    Bone
    Gotham City Sirens
    Kick Ass
    BtVS
    Angel
    Angel & Faith
    Spike
    Serenity

What I really want is the Original Artwork Strangers in Paradise Issue 90 page 6. I have asked Terry Moore more than once if he will sell it, but the answer is always no.

6. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

GREAT THREAD! I was seriously considering creating one myself two days ago. :)

Started collecting US comics when I was 12yo and recently came back to that by chance. Funny that both Marvel and DC both rebooted their universes also recently so it's kinda easy to come back.

I'm pulling ~12 series right now.

Most interesting so far:

Uncanny Avengers - never been an Avengers type, always X-Men so that's maybe best of both worlds right now

Batman Superman - I'm a huge Jae Lee sucker so that is that

The Wake - hands down best series by far, just read til issue #4 and it's awesome, great art, great and eerie story. Has some H.P. Lovecraft appeal. It's a 10 issues miniseries, so maybe worth a look if not interested in endless continuity

I'm quite interested in the next Savage Wolverine run as well since Jock is not only doing the covers but the whole book!

Btw, just got to know a guy working in my local comic shop who's actually being an artist for Marvel! Really nice guy, I'm thinking of asking him if he could re-imagine the perspective of my architectural Diploma project with Spidey passing by! Maybe a second after Hulk visited (if it's not too pricey)...:D

That's him:
    [​IMG]

7. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I read comics when I was single and had spending cash. Read A LOT of X-men and Hulk.

Now I read manga I download from the net. I read on my tablet when the missus is shopping.

Read through Ghost in the Shell, Initial D (waiting for the next volume), Great Teacher Onizuka, Air Gears (Never finished it though), Maison Ikkoku, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Appleseed and Dominion Tank Police (yeah, I'm a Shirow fan :cool:)

I'm currently starting Attack on Titan. I've only gotten to the part where the capture the Female Titan (don't spoil it for me :p).

8. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

How far are you in One Piece? I've got the first volume and read it. Enjoyed it quite a bit but haven't purchased further items quite yet.

Definitely a good time to come back! I recently just started. I bought a lot of the DC New 52 Volume 1 trade paperbacks and a few of the Marvel Now Volume 1's also.

Right now I'm pulling....

• Batman
    • Batman The Dark Knight
    • Catwoman
    • Detective Comics
    • Harley Quinn (starts soon!)
    • Suicide Squad

A new comic is starting called Pretty Deadly that sounds interesting so that's on my pull list but we'll see how that continues on.

I recently finished Y: The Last Man and loved the whole series. Very cool story about how all of the sudden every man in the world dies except one guy (and his male monkey) and what happens. It's pretty interesting to see what might happen especially across different cultures.

I'm reading Locke & Key which is great. The art is great, the story is great... it's great! The series is almost done so I'm just getting the trade paperbacks as they come out. I only have 1-3 at the moment but 4 and 5 will be here this week.

I have the first two trade paperbacks of Saga which is also very cool. It's kind of Star Warsy/Romeo & Juliet? I think I read that Brian K. Vaughn wrote parts of it such that it couldn't realistically be made into a movie and it kind of shows. Some of the creatures could be made via CGI of course but I think they'd have to tone it down a bit to get it in theaters. Very good series and I'm starting to just get the single issues of it now.

I'm contemplating getting a nice copy of The Batman Adventures #12 as I'm a fairly big fan of Harley Quinn, but I'm going to hold off until I can get a better feel for prices. I'm mildly new to comic books so I don't want to over stretch myself!

9. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

I was always a Marvel guy but got interested in DC now as well (being older = more open minded :D) so I follow the Forever Evil cross-over (as well as Marvel's Infinity) to get an idea.

DC pulls would be, besides those Forever Evil issues: Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Green Arrow (mostly because I like Andrea Sorrentino) and Batman Superman (which I will cancel when Jae Lee jumps ship). Some Vertigo Stuff as well. I haven't read the best about the New 52 from lots of DC fans but I'm clueless since I have nothing to compare it. Think it's mostly because of the continuity which shouldn't really bother you when just started to follow. You should check out the forum of comicbookresources. I'm new there, too. wee tee's the name over there. :)

10. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

And I haven't found any Marvel I like! Weird. If you're good with non-superhero comics, those others I mentioned in my prior post are really really good.

I can't get into Animal Man, haven't read Swamp Thing (but last I left Animal Man he was headed to meet Swamp Thing so nope!), Green Arrow didn't seem that interesting to me, and I've never been a Superman guy. For some reason the crazies of Gotham are my thing...

11. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Actually I agree, most of those series I've mentioned are completely new to me too! Batman got kind of worn out though. I too am not interested in Superman, but my favorite artist has to be supported!
    re Animal Man: fully agree. Got it because of some recommendations and would have stopped it because of the reason you stated, but they changed the artist to the better so I'll give it some more time to build up. I actually like the Before Watchmen series which just finished. Ozymandias is exquisit (also Jae Lee).

12. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Batman? Worn out?! Yeah... :) Somebody really needs to fire whoever is in charge of Arkham Asylum. "Hey we need a plot... let's blow a hole in Arkham again!"

I might try Animal Man more if they changed artists. I think the art of the first tpb I got was just too... weird for me.

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Manga mostly.

What to read? Well, stick to the genres you like in TV or movies and you'll love it.

For me,
    One piece, Naruto, Inuyasha are great.

14. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Going old school here (and yes, I know it shows my age!). All of these are during the Bronze to Modern era (so, early 1980s until I grew out of it roughly in 1992)

Fantastic Four (especially #238 and newer; Nova ruled)
    Power Pack (hey, I was a kid! and I only have 4 issues left to complete the entire collection)
    PPTSSM (Say what you want; the black costume rocked, though the whole Venom thing was just ... ugh)
    The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe (gave insight into the golden, silver, and bronze era characters, including the Book of the Dead and Inactive, to see how characters were killed off)

I didn't get much into DC comics.. nothing wrong with them, just personal preference, though I did buy 3 copies of the Death of Superman; 2 remain unopened.

My only regret is that I did not buy the 9/11 editions of Spiderman and Superman. Those are worth serious money.

Manga.. not much into it except for a few pieces.

Cardcaptors/Cardcaptor Sakura
    Yugioh!/Yugioh R
    MyHime

That's been it for me.

BL.

15. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I read lots of comics... here are my monthly pull lists:

The Walking Dead
    Batman (New 52)
    Chew
    Thief of Thieves
    The Goon
    Saga
    Peter Panzerfaust
    Revival

Tried the new 52 Detective Comics. Did not like it. Waited till issue 13 then started to read it, the writing is better but still have not gotten into it. I only do the graphic novels now for this one.

Graphic Novels:

Sam & Twitch
    Hellboy
    Okko
    Preacher
    Scalped
    The Boys
    Invincible
    SkullKickers
    Detective Comics
    Spawn
    Locke & Key

I was big into spawn a while back have comecis 1-150 or so. Then started to do the graphic novels.

I actually like the graphic novels better.

That is all I can think of off the top of my head.

16. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Just back home.

To complete the list.

Heroes
    Saga
    The Guild
    Jungle Girl
    Jingle Belles
    Liberty Meadows
    White Out
    Queen & Country
    Vampirella
    Hack & Slash
    The Waiting Place
    Empowered
    Love & Rockets
    Love Bites
    Death
    Four Letter Worlds
    Poison Elves
    Watchmen
    Danger Girl
    Sam & Twitch
    Artesia
    Mouse Guard

If you want a tip for a good Marvel Title try Runaways writer Brian K Vaughan.

He also writes Saga which you also like.

Locke & Key is one of the best comics out there, Joe Hill is of course the son of Stephen King, so it does sit in the genes.

I personally have moved as I got older to more independent publishers.

My favorites from the Indies are Strangers in Paradise, The Waiting Place, Mouse Guard.

17. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

I agree, the mainstream series I pull now do provide some nice nostalgic moments but aren't exactly great. I won't get them for very long I guess. I do wonder if you know The Wake? And if yes what do you think?

18. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Yeah I have the Runaways. I don't dislike Marvel as a company by any means. I just don't have any caring for their main properties like Fantastic Four, Avengers, Spider Man, or X-Men.

19. Happybunny, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013

Happybunny macrumors 68000

Do you mean this a French comic translated into English, or the title by Vertigo?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake_(comics)

I have the books Sillage in the original French, it's a good read, one of the better modern French comics.

Wake (titled Sillage in the original French) is a science fiction graphic novel series created by Jean-David Morvan and Philippe Buchet. The series has been translated to English and published in the United States by NBM Publishing. The issues are published in a large format (19 cm by 25.4 cm) as soft cover graphic novels. Issues 1 through 3 were published individually. Issues 4/5 and 6/7 were published together as single books. Issues 8, 9 and 10 have been released in French but have not yet reached the United States - NBM Publishing have stated that they will not be publishing the remainder of the series in English in the United States.
    Wake is hard science fiction and space opera, exploring social themes about inequalities, corruption and colonization.

Yes well I'm completely with you on that one, I've always like DC Vertigo, I've never had a bad comic experience with anything from Vertigo.

But the Marvel franchise has given us fantastic movies like Iron Man I II III.
    Even if I didn't like the comics:eek:

20. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

@Happybunny, no it's not. The Wake (series I talked about) is published by Image. If you're that much into comics I'd definitely recommend you a look at it, it's highly addictive! Can't provide any links right now but reviews are great as well.

Pulling some Vertigo ones as well, thumbs up from me too.

Agreed about Marvel, I've always been a Spidey guy, but there is actually not a single series I'm interested in now. I'd recommend Remender's Uncanny Avengers though.

21. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Thanks for the heads up.:D

I also forgot these.

Goon
    Concrete
    Stray Bullets
    Wasteland

22. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Forgot to add the following:

TPB:

Rubicon (modern spin on the seven samurai's story)

68' Jungle Jim series. Pretty graphic and the story is good to boot!

Used to read the following but haven't in a while:

Vampirella
    Lady Death
    Evil Ernie
    American Vampire

I want to try the following:
    East West
    Manhattan Project

Loved the Verotika line of comics. They had some pretty far out there stories.

Watchmen

----------

Locke & Key is pretty darn good. Between the art work and writing it is one of my favorites right now. Sad to see this is the end of the story line but Joe has said there might be some one off's to the story!

I will have to check out the Runaways. Not real big on Marvel either in fact I don't have any going right now.

23. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

I've cut back a lot, with how unreadable DC has become;

Ongoing

Batwoman
    Wonder Woman
    Red Hood & the Outlaws (Mostly because my friend writes it)
    Fearless Defenders
    X-Men
    Uncanny X-Men
    Uncanny X-Force
    Wolverine & the X-Men
    All-New X-Men

I'll read ANYTHING by Warren Ellis, Grant Morrison, Marjorie Liu, Kat Immonen and Gail Simone

Manga wise (ongoing)
    Shigeki no Kyojin
    Akuma no Riddle
    Sakura Trick
    A Divine Love Alone
    Citrus
    A Virgins' Empire
    Anything by Chi-Ran, Rokuroichi, Morishima Akiko, Kurogane Kenn, Takemiya Jin, Ôtomo Megane

Completed manga;

Aoi Hana
    Sasameki Koto
    Kashi Mashi
    Loveless
    Shoujo Kakumei Utena
    Sailor Moon (hey... I grew up on it)
    Appleseed
    Ghost in the Shell
    Orion

With that said, I love going back and rereading my favorite stuff, like Sandman, Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing, Morrison's Animal Man, New X-Men, All-Star Superman, etc. I'm kinda getting worn out by the "everything must be life or death!" mindset. I think that's why I didn't even bother giving stuff like Avengers Arena a chance, I didn't want to see Battle Royale among Marvel's teen heroes.

My most worn out stuff;

Anything Hellboy/BPRD
    Walt Simonson Thor Omnibus
    Absolute Sandman, Death & All-Star Superman
    Claremont era X-Men/Excalibur
    New Mutants
    Some of the weirder 90's era Marvel UK stuff like Dark Angel and Death's Head
    Absolute Planetary & Authorities

I just love reading and rereading stuff, even the ****** 90's Image era.

24. TSE macrumors 68030

Volume 16.

The series is definitely an up and down series in terms of entertainment... Seems like every 5 volumes there tends to be a 1 filler volume which deviates from the original plot quite a bit. Besides that, I have quite enjoyed it.

I read Manga on my Kindle and it is a fantastic device for it. I have to up the contrast all the way and the screen doesn't have the highest resolution, but Manga still looks good and it was $50 so I can't complain.

25. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Vampirella was the first real American comic that I bought via the US Military bases. I have the Warren and Harris issues, in glorious Black and White. But it's how I got started.;)

I think any person from that era has at lest one box of Image comics.
    They took the comic world by storm and hype in the days. I also remember the variant covers, it got so out of hand some titles had 14 different covers for one issue.:eek:

Harking back to that era, the high point of stupidity, were the Museum Editions comic books hat cost $100 each.:eek:

http://www.heroesassemble.com/museum-edition-comics-63-c.asp