Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Went to comikazi yesterday and found Sandman Absolute Vol 1. Picked it up and I will let you know! I actually can't wait to dive in and read this bad boy!!!!!

Told yeah it was on my short list! :)

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Picked this up.
IMG_0801_zps5b50c997.jpg

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
For anybody in the UK, I just got back from Comic Con at the NEC in Birmingham. Great buch of people and costumes. Couldn't believe how many chicks were there dressed up. Worth a visit tomorrow or next year.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
For anybody in the UK, I just got back from Comic Con at the NEC in Birmingham. Great buch of people and costumes. Couldn't believe how many chicks were there dressed up. Worth a visit tomorrow or next year.

I will definitely file away that information for next year. I’ve only been to the Comicons in London's Excel Centre/ Earls Court, and Milton Keyenes.
It would make a change to visit a city I’ve never been to.

ScreenShot2013-11-24at133558_zps16451e1c.png

Rachel Rising must be one of the best comic books out there this week issue 21, and it keeps getting better.

http://www.comixology.com/Rachel-Rising/comics-series/6348

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....

Decided to give Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting's Velvet a 5 issue trial run on the strength of the first issue.

I loved the Cold War espionage elements in the Captain America: Winter Soldier storyline, so I was curious to see how Brubaker & Epting would work with the Cold War in a traditional espionage setting. I also like that the lead character is a mature woman.

I hope it's a keeper in my pull list.

Also pretty psyched about Warren Ellis and Declan Shalvey rebooting Moon Knight too.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Also pretty psyched about Warren Ellis and Declan Shalvey rebooting Moon Knight too.

Moon Knight? I remember him from back in the 90s, although I never read a single issue. Looked badass back then. You'd recommend it? What is he (his stories) like, a mix of Daredevil/GhostRider (I have no clue!)?

Do not forget the upcoming Punisher series! I had to order it now so I can receive my issue in Febuary! The preview mag showed some inside art, looked only soso imho, but can't really say for sure as well. Pretty excited though! The Trial mini-series was ok, great art but the story, mostly the finale sadly, suffered significantly under the two issues limitation. But still had my mouth watering...:D

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Moon Knight? I remember him from back in the 90s, although I never read a single issue. Looked badass back then. You'd recommend it? What is he (his stories) like, a mix of Daredevil/GhostRider (I have no clue!)?

Do not forget the upcoming Punisher series! I had to order it now so I can receive my issue in Febuary! The preview mag showed some inside art, looked only soso imho, but can't really say for sure as well. Pretty excited though! The Trial mini-series was ok, great art but the story, mostly the finale sadly, suffered significantly under the two issues limitation. But still had my mouth watering...:D

Hi twietee.

Moon Knight I'd recommend the first two Essentials trade paperbacks from the 80s (if you can get them in Europe) and Moon Knight the Bottom storyline from 2006. Early MK became very mature readers as it went along (around issue 24.) MK is a mix of crime, superheroics, supernatural weirdness and a very violent vigilante who may or may not have a Lazarus like ability to come back from the dead. Not sure how else I can describe a Jewish mercenary in service to the ancient Egyptian God of Vengeace (how's that for irony?)

New Punisher, I will try the first two issues (if I remember to pre-order them.) Thanks for the reminder! If I like those, I will see where I stand. The art is iffy for me too and that's a big factor in my comics purchases. I miss Marco Checchetto's wonderful Punisher - he made Greg Rucka's run so great. Marvel needs to put Marco on another monthly pronto.

Thanks for the update about the Trial two issue mini.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
A friend of mine turned me onto Itou Junji's works. I'd read Uzumaki a while back, but now I'm plowing through the rest of Itou-san's other works.

I've got to say, his work is surreal, frightening, and at times really sweet and tender. I've always had a love for body horror (I blame Clive Barker), but Itou-san's work is just like a Masters' class in body horror. While Uzumaki will remain one of my favorites, Gyo is creeping up into a close second. I'll be moving to his Tomie series after that, then his other collections.

If you like horror, I highly recommend Itou Junji.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
I've only read V for Vendetta and thought it was very overrated. I have all the titles in the TinTin comics which I still read from time to time.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I've only read V for Vendetta and thought it was very overrated. I have all the titles in the TinTin comics which I still read from time to time.

As much as I love Alan Moore, I have to agree. His stand alone graphic novels have not stood the test of time well. His runs on books like Swamp Thing and Promethea are far and away better.

Hell, Promethea is a better Wonder Woman book than Wonder Woman.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
I'm reading Red Colored Elegy by Seeichi Hayshi right now :). It's a beautiful book, despite the fact that it doesn't really have a coherent plot.

I have been really into gekiga lately.

redcoloredelegy.jpg

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Comixology has 26 comics free today.

https://www.comixology.com/National-Comic-Book-Day/page/3587

Just log in, click add all to cart, then go to your cart and checkout, scroll all the way to the bottom and click the button to used a promo code... the code is COMICS. Your total will be $0 and you can finish checkout.

Yup picked them all up! Not a bad selection.

Been reading Preacher, Galaxy of The Guardians and soon to start the following:

The Strain TPB
Billy The Kids TPB
Chew Volume 4

And a boat load of the books I picked up at Comic Con. I have so much reading to do...

Started Robert Kirkmans Outcast. Not to bad so far.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I believe the new Thor #1 is out as of today. May be worth the read...

BL.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Anybody else reading The Walking Dead.... if so what did you think of the...

[spoilers]

The dead talking!!!! and then the big reveal of why!

[/spoilers]

Me personally, I am so glad they did what they did, but it did actually peak my interest a little more. After the last big battle was wonder where they would go from here. I am actually still wondering where they will go and I am also wondering when they will end the series. There seems to be a lot of talk in the comic book world over comments that Robert has said he knows when he is going to end it and he knows what is going to happen to Rick etc.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Thought I would revive this thread with a few questions for you current comic readers.

1. How has technology affected your comic reading? Do you still buy actual books at the comic book store or have you gone full digital with your collecting and reading?

2. What do you think about the connection between video games and movies of popular comic heroes and the continuing book series? Today these differing multiple mediums seem to be greatly affecting each other in ways that have never existed in the past.

3. How do you feel about the ever evolving histories and origin stories of comic characters? For example, I began collecting and reading in the 80's and continued through the mid 90's. Obviously, stories evolve and characters develop, but it has always been interesting to see how they change things and what that ultimately does to the character when a writer wants to "reboot" or "reimagine" things. The most obvious example that stands out to me is the way they transitioned Wolverine when they decided to go down the road of having bone claws. The transition of Nick Fury's ethnicity is another example. Do you tend to have a purist philosophy when it comes to this by holding onto the original or "first told" version of a character or is it no big deal for you to simply go along for the ride no matter what changes may take place?

4. What is the landscape like in today's world of Marvel, DC, and other comic universes? I stopped by a comic shop a few weeks ago just to look around and for the sake of nostalgia. It's truly been almost 20 years since I was last in one. When I collected Marvel and DC ruled, and newcomers like Image and Dark Horse were just getting started. The employee at the comic shop told me that Marvel has "officially killed" Wolverine for now although he still has some titles currently running. I hear that the power of Thor is no longer with Thor, but now in the hands of a female who has taken on that role and Falcon in now Captain America instead of Steve Rogers. DC is apparently going through many changes of their own as I hear about various versions of characters like New 52, etc.. Are you enjoying what the major comic companies are doing overall with their universes?

A funny note, I was blown away by what comics cost now. $3 and $4 cover charges seem so high coming from an old guy like me who used to buy books for $1 an issue or less. :eek:

Reactions: twietee

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Thought I would revive this thread with a few questions for you current comic readers.

1. How has technology affected your comic reading? Do you still buy actual books at the comic book store or have you gone full digital with your collecting and reading?

2. What do you think about the connection between video games and movies of popular comic heroes and the continuing book series? Today these differing multiple mediums seem to be greatly affecting each other in ways that have never existed in the past.

3. How do you feel about the ever evolving histories and origin stories of comic characters? For example, I began collecting and reading in the 80's and continued through the mid 90's. Obviously, stories evolve and characters develop, but it has always been interesting to see how they change things and what that ultimately does to the character when a writer wants to "reboot" or "reimagine" things. The most obvious example that stands out to me is the way they transitioned Wolverine when they decided to go down the road of having bone claws. The transition of Nick Fury's ethnicity is another example. Do you tend to have a purist philosophy when it comes to this by holding onto the original or "first told" version of a character or is it no big deal for you to simply go along for the ride no matter what changes may take place?

4. What is the landscape like in today's world of Marvel, DC, and other comic universes? I stopped by a comic shop a few weeks ago just to look around and for the sake of nostalgia. It's truly been almost 20 years since I was last in one. When I collected Marvel and DC ruled, and newcomers like Image and Dark Horse were just getting started. The employee at the comic shop told me that Marvel has "officially killed" Wolverine for now although he still has some titles currently running. I hear that the power of Thor is no longer with Thor, but now in the hands of a female who has taken on that role and Falcon in now Captain America instead of Steve Rogers. DC is apparently going through many changes of their own as I hear about various versions of characters like New 52, etc.. Are you enjoying what the major comic companies are doing overall with their universes?

A funny note, I was blown away by what comics cost now. $3 and $4 cover charges seem so high coming from an old guy like me who used to buy books for $1 an issue or less. :eek:

1: As far as collecting and reading it hasn't. Was it has changed is my ability to actually read the comics from way back when. Since they are priced out of the market, reading some of the back catalog pieces from Marvel and DC has been nice. But for my collection of today, I still get physical monthly's, trades, omnibus, and or absolutes.

2: I haven't really thought about it to tell you the truth. I do like seeing some of the characters come to life, but other than that. No real opinion on the topic.

3: I hate reboots for the most part, if it is a reboot because of a new author or artists, ok, but a reboot to do just a reboot kills it for me. And by this I mean, I would rather see a continuity in story telling even with a new writer or artist, then for the Company to say, ok here is the New X, starting with issue number one. That is the main reason I stopped really collecting Marvel and DC books. They do this, to me what seems a lot. Multi-verse, single-verse, secret wars, convergence, etc etc etc, new 52. Granted a lot of the Indie company's have not been around as long and there are not a lot of comics that get into the 200-600 range. No reboots for me.

4: This post pretty much sums up why I don't collect a lot of marvel or dc. Way to many changes, and to me it feels like changes for the sake of changes or changes to sell me more comics. Variant covers also kill me. Let's have a comic with 100 different covers, same content, different cover and charge a boat load of money for it. I jumped on board with the new 52. Read all the number ones and quickly downgraded to just two. Batman and Constantine. Batman was because of the writer and artist and well I have always liked Constantine. DC watered him down and now the just re-released a new version of him which came out this month. I have it but have not read it.

The price is another factor. I used to pull 15-25 different comics every month, now I am down to less than 10. There was one month Batman was $4.99! EEK

Reactions: mscriv

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Finishing up the very good Masters of Kung Fu mini series and that's it for now. For the price comics are not worth the money for me these days. Perhaps there will be something in the future that will be worth it to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.