Commuters: Get Extra Sleep with iNap

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 18, 2008.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For those who commute to work on a bus or a train, Moop.Me's iNap [App Store] application provides a unique tool to let you get some extra sleep without missing your destination:
    iNap is available for $0.99 and works best with an iPhone 3G (with real GPS).

Article Link

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

First I thought "use the alarm, it's free."
    Then I read and I have to admit, that's pretty damn cool ... if it works as it should.

Now if I drive to work can I just have it wake me when I'm about to hit a wall on the freeway or something? That'd be nice.

3. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

Good for TTC bus rides. Bad for TTC subway rides if it only relies on GPS lol
    <sets alarm at Bloor/Yonge station to wake up at Jane station>

Awesome! <takes nap>

<time passes>
    .zzz

.zz...zzz..

<train arrives at Kipling, alarm still hasn't gone off>

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, I could write you an app that uses the accelerometer to tell you right after you hit a wall on the freeway. Close enough? ;)

5. dual64bit macrumors 6502

dual64bit

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I've just realized that there's an opportunity for a similar app for empty-nesters who have just brought their last child to college: one which would, at a random time interval more than a minute but less than ten minutes, ask "are we there yet?" until the car has arrived at a destination. That should make them feel better during long rides.

7. cazlar macrumors 6502

Sounds good, could it somehow have a gauge on it to show whether I'm likely to be dead or not. That would be cool IMO!

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

iNap sounds like a cool app.

Just a guess, but probably not. :p

9. bigmc6000 macrumors 6502a

Based on the NHTSA data you could probably give a % likelihood of death. I mean, if you're going 60 into a brick wall it's not so good. 20 into a brick wall you're probably still alive ;)

If the chances of you being alive are less than 50% and you click "I'm OK" it should play a little song or something celebrating the fact that you're still alive :)

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yeah that'll work. :)
    Actually, I'd like it to spit out some excuse that I'm going to give the police when they question wtf I was doing just before the crash. That'd be way more valuable to me.

11. ejrizo macrumors 6502

ejrizo

i was just thinking about this yesterday on my commute to work....

i set an alarm but didnt trust it... i am never able to go to sleep because in the back of my mind i feel like i wont wake up on time and miss my stop...

going to have to look into this app...

12. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

This would have been good when I was coming back from Sheffield! I was on the way home on the train and had to wake up like every minute to check my location (on GPS obviously) Lol.

13. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

that seems very cool just make sure you have service...

14. windywalks macrumors 6502

The concept is really good, but... Unless you have someone watching over you so you don't wake up without your pants on. Or - built in accelerometer support for stolen pants alarm.
    On a side note - I loathe all you guys who are actually able to fall asleep on a train or bus. The best I get is drowsy - on a bus. On a train - just plain anxious after trying to sleep.

15. Ding.Dong macrumors regular

Are you people crazy? There's no way in the world I'd allow myself to fall asleep on a public bus. You're likely to wake up with your iPhone missing. As well your wallet, watch, keys, etc. Not to mention worse things that could happen to you.

16. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

New feature: Accelerometer activates alarm when you are pick-pocketed while napping. :D

17. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    bad idea

Yeah so you can wake up in the wrong city with no iPhone, or you lose your connection and it reconnects way too late.

18. ins0mniaque macrumors newbie

Not as crazy as living in LA apparently...

19. christf10 macrumors member

christf10

Sounds like a great app. Question is will it work when underground in subway tunnels? Pointless for traveling into Grand Central being that is the end of the line. Nice feature would be to input the line you are on and tell them what stop to wake you at. That way you can have it wake you one stop prior to your destination.

20. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

they do offer a "radius" setting. so you can set 2 miles outside of grand central

arn

21. ejrizo macrumors 6502

ejrizo

i Take an Express bus from El Monte to Los Angeles that only commutes west to Los Angeles in the Mornings and does the opposite in the afternoon... nothing but working people on that bus route and no shady looking people...

before i took it i had the mentality that it would be a bunch of ghetto ass people... but has worked out good so far... dont have to deal with traffic (bus takes a carpool lane) and get to work in the same time.

anyway i would fall asleep on that bus because i feel like i would be safe... hell everyone falls asleep on that bus.... but the only problem is that its really hard for me to fall asleep sitting up.

22. walnuts macrumors 6502a

Nice except that only the pick-pocketer with your shiny phone will get the alarm and not you!

23. walnuts macrumors 6502a

Another note- how would this deal with battery? Sounds like it would kill the battery, particularly on the iphone 2G. Maybe they should add a wake-up just before the battery goes dead...

24. kire1820 macrumors newbie

hmmm...usability

Great Idea! However, I think this app's usability will depend on the service. For instance, I don't usually get reception on subway, so....this app is useless for me.