Complex Starbucks Drinks. How do you feel?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Hummer, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

How do you feel about people in-line ordering complex Starbucks beverages.

Today I was in-line and I watched as this guy ordered a Grande half-caf, 2 1/2 shot, 3 pump vanilla, 4 pump caramel, 1/2 half and half 1/2 nonfat, extra hot, 2 splenda, and get this... latte machiatto.

Okay well that guy was me, and everyone looked at me like I was crazy, but it was only to prank my friend who was the barista.

Anyways I just thought about how people really feel about this?

2. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

I think it was George Carlin who said the bigger and more complex the Starbucks order, the bigger the ******.

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Even if it wasn't Carlin, that is dead right!

4. AstrayCliche macrumors member

Just give me coffee. Black. Everything else is a waste.

5. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I don't think I've ever stepped foot into a starbucks. :eek:

That said, I do heard people complain about waiting forever in line when they are just trying to get a no frills cup of coffee.

6. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Tea is where it's at...

(that should liven it up nicely in here....:D)

7. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

It's a bit annoying. When I am forced to occasion Starbucks, my drink orders are simple, and I still use sizes like small, medium, and large...I know what their sizes are called (or at least two out of three), but I protest the yuppy pretension. But here in Chicago, I usually avoid Starbucks and go to the Italian Coffee Bar instead. Are any other Chicagoans around here fans of ICB?

8. MacSamurai macrumors regular

MacSamurai

i think its not that bad... a line is a line,and even if the order isnt complex itll still take some time.so might aswell take this time to think about what you want.Now if it's the people working their that is causing the hold up i might be a bit peeved seeing as it is their job lol

9. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

i really think there is a line you can cross...when the drink is so complex that the over all gist of it isnt even listed on their menu then you have gone way to far. I can see if you dont want whip or you want it with one pump of caramel. But i think the limit should be 2 custom changes.

personally im a big fan of starbucks.... all you people out their who say its an over priced, over popularized corporation... they started small just like the place you prefer to go to... they then perfected the cup of coffee and they are now enjoying the benefits. If they really didnt know what they were doing they wouldnt be as big as they are today. I never go in their and walk away unhappy. ( and no i dont order frappachinos, that is not coffee.

10. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

It's not really a question of perfecting the cup of coffee so much as standardizing it. But it's got no soul, brotha! The place I go, the folks are really into coffee. The owner sends them to coffee-making competitions; they discuss the finer points of the art of brewing coffee; and so forth. Seeing people who love what they do, even if it is just a part time job, is refreshing.

11. McGiord, Jan 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

In my Town any "Male" who orders a drink with more than 2 adjectives is very likely to be playing for both Teams.
    ________
    marijuana strain green crack

12. Hummer thread starter macrumors 65816

Hummer

Over half of the Frappuccinos offered are coffee beverages. They're simply called blended coffees and are no different than an Iced coffee except the ice is blended into a slush or smooth mix.

13. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

True, yet I have been to many a coffee shop where the people LOVE what they do, the environment is fantastic, and the people, very friendly...however their coffee sucks. Yes there are many places where they do both very well, but to me those are hard to come by. Most of the time i am, and i think a lot of others, are just looking to get a great cup of joe, and to me starbucks does that very well EVERY time with a not-to-bad environment, and most of the time a smile.

just my opinion, i know others will disagree:D

14. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Well, you're in North Carolina, so that may explain it. Don't get me wrong--I grew up in North Carolina, I'm from North Carolina, I love North Carolina. But Chicago's probably got most of North Carolina beat on coffee. The place where I go, they enter the competitions...And win. :cool: So it's good coffee. I also just like the idea of supporting a small business that's locally run, and seeing it flourish as the owner starts opening a few more shops around Chicago.

15. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

actually that is not true. They are about 10 percent coffee. (and that doesnt include the vanilla, caramel, or strawberry) They are actually a highly processed creamy(depending on which flavor) syrup that when mixed with ice will not seem 'watered' down. They are mostly sugar. an average of 900 calories in each cup.

my best friend has worked at starbucks for a good 3 years.

16. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

Totally agree, im sure in larger towns their are more places to choose from. So im with you on that. here in NC is slim pickins' oh well

17. MacSamurai macrumors regular

MacSamurai

calories make thing taste better :D yeah if you want real coffee probably best not to visit starbucks, just like if you wanted a real burger i wouldn't recommend MacDonalds or Burger King these thing are meant for mass production not for fine dining lol

18. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

A Starbucks store went in next door to an independent shop in midtown Kansas City... everyone predicted the independent shop's demise. Lo and behold a few years later, the Starbucks store left and the independent one remains. Kind of a role reversal.

19. Hummer thread starter macrumors 65816

Hummer

Well what is a latte then? 1 to 2 ounces of espresso and then a ton of milk on it? I wasn't saying it was 100% coffee, I was just saying that a frap has the exact same amount of coffee in it as a latte or any other drink at starbucks does except for the regular coffee.

20. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

I think it's brilliant. They'll mess up 50% of the time and you can potentially get a free drink.

Isn't that why people make complicated orders?

21. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Amen! I totally agree. I was one of those people who forced coffee down because it's the "cool" thing to do, and then finally I was able to come out of the closet and say, "You know what? I effing hate coffee! And I love me a good cup of tea!"

It was quite liberating. ;) :)

22. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

Here's the deal...

I go to Starbucks because its the one chain of coffee shops where I can get a "triple venti latte" (which is simply a 20 oz latte with three shots of espresso) without some pouty kid rolling their eyes at me for ordering something slightly different than the standard menu.

Its a normal thing to customize your drink at a Starbucks, and the good news for the people in line behind you is that the barista is already on-board with the system they have in place. (That's what those little squares down the length of the cups are for. ;))

23. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

You only need espressos, cappuccinos and the subtle variations thereof (i.e. macchiato). Anything more complicated than that is silly.

24. shecky Guest

shecky

did anyone see "office space"? remember the perky little waiter at the Chocthkie's, the restaurant they are at in the beginning of the movie? he comes up to them all hyper-perky and happy and says:

[​IMG]

"So can I get you gentlemen something more to drink? Or maybe something to nibble on? Some Pizza Shooters, Shrimp Poppers, or Extreme Fajitas?"

THATS every starbucks barista i have ever met. that hyperactive fake joyousness they exude. it kinda freaks me out.