Computers 4 years from now

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dominicansrul93, Apr 23, 2007.

1. dominicansrul93 macrumors regular

Since I cant have a mac until I am in university which is four years from now because I am starting high school next year I want to know what will it be like? What is after leopard? What technologies will be introduced? Will Apple have a bigger market share? Could OSX be available for PC's( unlikely but you never know)? I just want to know what I will be seeing and what you guys think.

2. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

There will be another 2 or 3 OS's after Leopard by then I should think. Technologies moving so fast I don't really want to estimate anything for in four years time.

As for Apple's market share, I should think it will be higher, it's been consistently growing and growing, so unless something for the worse happens with Apple I don't see why it won't continue to grow.

I doubt OSX will be available to PC's. I also hope not.

3. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Tabby Cat

Anti-gravity modules.

Possibly, as long as it isn't smaller or the same.

Unlikely but you never know.

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

It's notoriously difficult to accurately predict what Apple will be doing six months from now—much less four years. Assuming against anything catastrophic, I'd predict that their computers will be faster, their OS will be more capable, their iPods will be higher capacity/have more battery life and be the same size or smaller, and that the iPhone and AppleTV will undergo improvements appropriate to their respective functions. ;)

This has been your Vague Predictions Hour, with the one and only killmoms. I'm here all week, try the veal! :cool:

5. aeiz macrumors member

6. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Apple will have released hover-cars that run on CO2 and faeses.

You can't predict this kind of thing. There might be a huge war - we might lose everything. We might all die! :eek:

7. dominicansrul93 thread starter macrumors regular

LOL

8. ChrisA macrumors G4

Why can't you have a Mac sooner? Get a job. Used G4 PowerMacs start at about $150. Assuming a minimum wage, part time job you'd have $150 in less then one month.

Back to your question....
    Look back four years. I expect about the same amount of change in the next four years as in the last. Basically faster processors and small incremental changes to the software. In four years the number of cores may double. So four will be common and 16 will be at the very high end.

I think the screen resolutions will immprove too. What this really means is sharper text in the small point sizes.

A few more applications will be web based

I expect Apple to release OS upgrades on about a 2 or 2.5 year cycle so you could buy whatever comes after Leopard or (just maybe) the one after that. But look for only incremental changes.

I'm sure in four years Apple will have expanded their iPhone line and will have general purpose computers in that sub-compact size

Vista service pack 2 will be out.

9. dominicansrul93 thread starter macrumors regular

10. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

Lynx or Cougar

11. dominicansrul93 thread starter macrumors regular

But here is the thing I have heard that leopard will be the last os x. People have said that next is os 11.

12. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

That was just some April Fools' joke. Apple shows no signs of ditching Darwin (the Mach + BSD underpinnings of OS X) anytime soon. Not that it should be taken as a hard and fast rule, but they called Darwin the base designed to carry the Mac "for the next 20 years." So I wouldn't start to think about a replacement for OS X until, oh, 2015 or so.

13. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

It's better not to waste time worrying about names.

Whether it's 10.6, 10.7, or 11.x when you finally get your Mac, it will still be the Mac OS, and the Apple will still appear on the screen at startup (although I miss happy Mac).

14. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Not quite yet - current estimates place the potential Technological Singularity occurring sometime in the 2035-2070 range, depending on who you believe. But, as author Ken MacLeod pointed out - the Windows patches in some self-aware AIs that took over multiple systems will still make them vulnerable to viral infection.

I've also heard that 10.5 will be the last "OS X" release under that name, though I wouldn't expect Apple to shift to "OS XI" - it's just too clumsy from a marketing standpoint. Who knows? Not I.

A safe bet for the future though seems to be smaller, faster, more efficient, & better power supplies.

15. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

welll the computers in 4 years from now will have 4 4TB harddrives, 4 4x optical drives supporting 4 different type of disks (bluray, hd-dvd, dvd, cd), have 4 4core processors, and 4 4gb memory sticks.

16. Trogloxene macrumors regular

I think the trend is toward free web based software. Think in terms of iTunes where you buy extra personalized content.

-T

17. dominicansrul93 thread starter macrumors regular

I heard that they might build a super computer that could be this Technological Singularity in 2013. I found out on this video but I dont know if its true.

18. robPOD macrumors 6502

we may see 5.0ghz processors with like 12 cores

19. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Probably Mac OS 10.6
    32nm or smaller processors
    Yes, of course Apple will
    Probably not and Apple wouldn't want to do such a thing

20. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Mac OS Mr Bigglesworth...... I like the sound of that :D

That bald cat freaks me out.....

21. robPOD macrumors 6502

How about OS Chesire

22. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

wow.. 4 years ago I was using an 800mhz iMac G4...

100mhz FSB, 512k L2 Cache, 1GB ram, 60Gb HD, about 4xSuperdrive, 32mb GeForce 2....

Mac OS 10.0.x Later to 10.1 :D Went to 10.3 when we got the PB

23. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

24. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Expect at least 8 cores, if not 16. Expect at least multicore GPUs, if not GPUs and CPUs integrated together. Expect a blu-ray or HD-DVD burner. Expect a flash HDD. Expect clock speeds to hit well over 5 GHz, probably closer to 8, on a 22nm process.

Basically, in four years, computers will put today's computers to shame like today's computers put my Cube to shame.

25. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

A number of wild speculations

In four years:
    The operating system will be dead, replaced by webware.

In four years:
    At least one commercial OS will be dead, replaced by Linux and OSX will be free.

In four years:
    Virtualisation technologies make OS's irrelevant and people will be able to launch any app in a virtual environment.

In four years:
    The iPhone-interface will be on laptops and we will have touch-screen keyboards with a cushioned layer (for our fingers) on every macbook.

In four years:
    flash-drives will be the norm

In four years:
    Google will release their own laptop

In four years:
    Dell will have a linux-based OSX-contender

In four years:
    the war in Iraq will still be going on (how did that slip in there?)

...Predicting the future Dvorak-style.. ;) (I like futurism)