Conclusion on the iMac release?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by zai-huei, Jul 12, 2012.

1. zai-huei macrumors member

Hey everyone!
    (first I want to apologize for my english)

Alright, I have used the last 3-4 days to read about (what people thinks) when the new iMac 2012 will be released!

Since we have not heard from Apple, the conclusion is, that their will be no iMac with the ML, 24 july???

Or do people still think that??

2. Kryptik.Kode macrumors member

Kryptik.Kode

I think you will get a lot of "No one knows" and "Why another thread like this" posts.

Just a warning.

3. zai-huei thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I you are right.
    But, all the other threads like this one, is like 1-3 month old!
    And, I do not ask if all of you know somethink, but what you guys think! :)

4. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

5. Sam Spade macrumors regular

There's never been a statement issued from anyone at Apple that would suggest new iMacs are coming with the ML release. That's purely speculation by those not "in the know" based on Apple's past behavior.

All statements made by the Apple folks have suggested that updated iMacs will be coming much later. Although, this release timeline makes very little sense to most in this forum, which is why most are predicting it will be sooner.

6. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

The only thing we can conclude from not hearing from Apple is that they're not already out. If they were for sale, they would tell us, and not before.

It would be incredibly surprising not to see them with the ML release (which we speculate to be July 25, since July 24 is the earnings call - although with the Golden Master being later than last year we also have to consider July 31 a possibility). Apple hasn't been proven to care whether or not they surprise us though. :p

7. LaWally macrumors 6502a

The next iMac update will be in early 2013, unless it comes sooner. Or if you prefer, the next iMac update will be in late 2012, unless it comes later.

8. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

But don't buy it, because the 27" iPad Pro is coming in 2017.

9. LaWally macrumors 6502a

10. mojothemonkey macrumors regular

If they were just going to wait for the mega-redesign, it's absurd that they didnt just keep things the same and pop in a similar-dimensioned ivy bridge motherboard. Then a silent update with no announcement. It's been done before. What gives?

At least knowledgeable consumers, while griping about lack of updated GPU, would be ok with buying USB3 compatibility.

11. zai-huei thread starter macrumors member

Are we not able to write one kind of.. complaint?
    And maybe get something their?

12. Gaiduku macrumors member

Herein lies the confusion. It just doesn't make any sense to me. If, as the silly Digitimes rumour suggets, the reason for the delay is due to the retina displays being nearly ready - for October it seems, then why didn't they do a silent upgrade ages ago?! I'm talking before the WWDC even. All they needed to do was add the ivy-bridge chips and update the GPU and I'd feel much more comfortable buying one tomorrow. Even if they left out larger hard drives or SSDS, heck I'd possibly ignore the absence of USB 3.0 if they had done a silent update 3 or 4 months ago.

13. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Hasn't worked for the Mac Pro guys.

Apple will release something when they're ready. They're gambling we'll all be ready and willing to buy it whenever it comes out, or will just buy whatever they have now if we get tired of waiting. For the most part, they'll win that gamble.

----------

I know.. they could have done Ivy Bridge + AMD 7970m in May. But if they were going exclusive to Nvidia this time around, July is the first month they can sell a 680M.

14. Gaiduku macrumors member

Also another factor that still points towards a July release is Apple not wanting to bother releasing new iMacs with Lion. The MBPs were a major change espeicailly with the whole retina thing and if this is just a minor spec bump then I guess Apple might as well wait a few more weeks and just sell them all with ML preloaded.

15. sukai macrumors regular

Couldn't the low presence of iMacs in stock be due to wanting to have ML preloaded on the current upcoming 2011 iMacs when ML is released? Not sure if I made any sense.

16. zai-huei thread starter macrumors member

I'm not that in to apple stuff, but wouldn it not be smart for apple, to make some "teasers" for the costumers?
    They will lose many customers: nothing to hear from them?

17. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

In Apple's judgement, announcing a product that's not for sale deters most potential buyers of the product it replaces, and results in a greater sales loss than saying nothing.

18. zai-huei thread starter macrumors member

Well... Does that even make sense? o_O

19. Gaiduku macrumors member

It does.

If apple said tomorrow that new iMacs would definitely be release in the last week of July then everyone here unsure about whether to buy or not would simply wait. Yet right now we've have no idea at all... so many people are just buying because they really need a new computer.

20. coolmacoz macrumors newbie

It has been restraint of iMac 27" for two weeks now for the channels in Australia and there's no explanation of why it's been restraint for two weeks now. But Apple Online Store has no such problem.

21. mojothemonkey macrumors regular

Well that's just the thing. The Ivy Bridge motherboard has USB 3 support natively. There isn't really anything apple would have had to do to bring USB 3 after swapping the boards.

Even the same cooling system could have been used, as the similarly spec'd ivy bridge cpu's require less power (less heat).

22. radiohed macrumors regular

Perhaps the new iMac is so thin that Apple can't find it. :p

Seriously, I hope there is an update this month. Luckily my mini c2d works fine and I don't need to rush to replace it. Going into 15 months without an update is pretty bad, so waiting until Oct or 2013 would be totally ludicrous. :roll eyes: The desktop lineup needs a refresh now!

23. CycloneX macrumors newbie

Tim Cook --
    Apple --
    Here's the rub, what if when Tim Cook uses the term "pro" he is referring to users, literally, not products -- pro users to many means people that use upgradable towers -- perhaps not to Apple. An iMac "pro" with retina; ability to add additional larger monitors; Thunderbolt to add external graphic cards (external PCI box) and larger, faster drives ... who needs a tower? Apple may just nudge us away from towers to the AIO ... it's possible. Why would a company with as many resources as Apple simply ignore the tower for so long and let the iMac go a year without a "bump"? Apple may have something completely different in mind than what we are expecting.

None of it really makes any sense. Apple could have bumped the iMac at WWDC. Well, they didn't so everyone thought they will do it with ML + Apple wanted a better GPU. Now that doesn't really make much sense because all signs now point to October or November.

Why? Retina?

We know the MPB retina struggles pushing pixels so current GPUs won't drive a 27" iMac retina.

CPU?

No, Apple could have put in the latest flavor from intel without much trouble.

So, what's all this delay about? No real tower updates for ever, an iMac over a year old with not even USB 3.0. If Apple is waiting for an uber iMac redesign with retina and desktop class GPUs in 2013 it would have made much more sense to soft bump the iMac at WWDC and then by mid-2013 release the new uber retina iMac.

It makes no sense to leave the iMac untouched for over a year.

24. Nova Sensei macrumors 6502

Just thinking about the price of a retina iMac gives me the heebiejeebies.

Apple would not hold back the entire iMac line for something so boutique/niche.

25. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I hope that they are. I would like to see Apple be cutting edge with their desktops.