Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The more I think about this theme, apple could wait a couple of weeks after the ML release:
When ML shows to work fine, customers want to buy new imacs, either they waited for the new mac, either they migrate from Windows (or Linux) or their current imac has not enough performance to have the real fun with ML or is to old.

And when it is not coming :mad:,ok - I migrated from Linux to mac, I can proceed to anything else.:rolleyes:

See I don't agree with you because last year they introduced the mac minis and airs with lion and lion was a bigger update than ML. So they way you discribed introducing the machines after to see if it works right doesn't hold any weight in apples eyes

BenniG

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2012
See I don't agree with you because last year they introduced the mac minis and airs with lion and lion was a bigger update than ML. So they way you discribed introducing the machines after to see if it works right doesn't hold any weight in apples eyes

Conclusion ?
together with ML ? - Hopefully
October ? not amused

eeeck

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2012
Thoughts from a business perspective

Speaking as someone who used to work in marketing for a Wintel company, the release is definitely going to come in August or September at the latest if happening this year. The reason is that Christmas shopping as well as back to school (which seems more of a factor for desktops rather than phones) are important factors in driving sales revenues, so a November or December launch would be a total waste.

Meanwhile, October might normally be feasible but as noted an iPhone launch is more likely there. Plus, Windows 8 is launching in October and I think Apple would want to avoid being lumped in with Microsoft in press coverage.

Apple is different than other companies in a number of ways, notably that they have no problem turning their back on technologies customers may still want if they don't fit the Apple vision (Flash and many other examples). So Apple may have "decided" that consumers should move to laptops and iPads, and view the iMac as now a niche or marginalized product. This would mean significantly less innovation going forward as fewer design resources go to upgrades, and eventual discontinuation of the product.

I don't know what is going to happen of course due to Apple's trademark secrecy over announcing products until day of release - which is due in part to fear of copying, as well as the fact that it makes a real event out of product launches. But at this point with Windows 8 coming up, I won't even be able to buy a Wintel replacement for my 6-year old iMac until October if an iMac doesn't come out this year! Fortunately I have 3 other PCs in a one-person household (notebook, netbook and home media server) but I did use the iMac and it is a hassle nonetheless :-(.

Last edited:

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
Apple have no problem turning their back on technologies customers may still want if they don't fit the Apple vision (Flash and many other examples). So Apple may have "decided" that consumers should move to laptops and iPads, and view the iMac as now a niche or marginalized product. This would mean significantly less innovation going forward as fewer design resources go to upgrades, and eventual discontinuation of the product.

Bottom line and end of story.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
ah man if Apple did discontinue desktops I would be POed. I don't want to have to buy a laptop screen and a 27" screen just to work. If that happened it would be enough to push me back to a PC. I am sure a lot of others would do the same so I doubt Apple would do this.

CycloneX

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
Florida
Apple is different than other companies in a number of ways, notably that they have no problem turning their back on technologies customers may still want if they don't fit the Apple vision (Flash and many other examples). So Apple may have "decided" that consumers should move to laptops and iPads, and view the iMac as now a niche or marginalized product. This would mean significantly less innovation going forward as fewer design resources go to upgrades, and eventual discontinuation of the product.

This is exactly what I have mentioned before when parsing Tim Cooks remarks about "pro" users. Apple will define "pro" however it fits in with their vision. However, a 15" laptop screen is not acceptable to most pro users ...all of the Adobe apps can fill that space with just the app pallets. Apple dropped the 17" laptop. That said, Apple ignoring the iMac for over a year and a soft-bump of the pro towers should speak volumes. What is Apple thinking? Tim cook said Apple will have something really great for the "pro" users in 2013. What we do know is that Apple has put all their cards into iOS and mobile devices. Heck, go back to OSX widgets .. we now know that was all about prepping apps for the iPhone and Apples mobile OS. So, what is the really great thing Apple has, per Cook, planned for 2013? A "pro" iPad? Really Apple? You want me to run high end video editing on an iPad? Apple, put up or shut up ... give us real "pro" options. Or, like your new service center, which is running various PCs and non-Apple towers, tell us the truth. iMacs and towers are dead to you, or not... show me. I can't edit a movie on a fraking iPad ... get it?

BStyle105

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2009
2012 iMac

The only thing we can conclude from not hearing from Apple is that they're not already out. If they were for sale, they would tell us, and not before.

It would be incredibly surprising not to see them with the ML release (which we speculate to be July 25, since July 24 is the earnings call - although with the Golden Master being later than last year we also have to consider July 31 a possibility). Apple hasn't been proven to care whether or not they surprise us though. :p

Lots of peeps fishing for rumours on the 2012 iMac. I don't think a lack of rumours means the iMac's are not coming...any hint of an imminent iMac would KILL sales of the 2011 iMac, anyone at Apple who knows would be sworn to secrecy.

I don't think the low key prep for ML is a clue either, I mean how many people does it take to move new iMac's into a store??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.