Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
If you don't have to renew the contract to use the new iPhone, I'll be very happy.

Im going to make sure of it :cool: lol

If not then they will know all about it from me anyway, if it happens that you cant and enough people complain then they may be able to change their stance. I would be very surprised, annoyed and disappointed though if you needed a new contract to change to the 3G iPhone.

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
Sure, 3G certainly has an overall throughput that spanks EDGE, but the existing 3G networks have HORRIBLE latency. The 3G iPhone will be a marked improvement and will continue to be the best portable internet device, but I predict a legion of whiners saying, "Not fast enough!".

Actually that's not true in general.. try 3G through a laptop.. it's not that different to browsing over DSL (when I'm browsing over this university network the 3G is actually faster... during the day I'm lucky to pull 2mb/sec off this link. Still the office space is cheap...). The problem is some (many?) 3G phones are underpowered and take an age to render a web page anyway, so people get a bad user experience.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Yeah they might be having some stock left in stores but still this is something completely unheard of Apple. We`ve heard of stocks going down a week before the new model is launched but a month is completely unbelievable. They`d still sell lots and lots of 3G iPhone once it comes out but nothing justifies one Month of non availability of any iPhone et al.

Anyways it`ll definitely reduce the number of customers whining as they had just bought the old iPhone only a day ago.

Current 2.5G phones are probably being sold to:
a) People not in the know 20%
b) For export to countries that do not have the iPhone to unlock.

They also have the ones at the new Boston store and a few for iPhone replacement when the old one breaks.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Still it`s hard to believe how the hell did Apple screw up this bad. iPhone 3G after June 9th???? That means more than a month of zero iphone sales. They have never done something like this with any of their other products. I still cant digest it....:confused:

Who would have even thought of getting an iPhone this month with all the rumors of the 3G that were leaked ? Apple did the right thing rather then being stuck with a lot of the older iPhones. Besides, anyone who would actually get an iPhone this month would either return it or demand a rebate when the 3G iPhone came out.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
Anyway, from the pay monthly T&C for iphone (http://www.o2.co.uk/termsconditions/tariffsandboltons0153) clause 2 in 'General':

"If you end your contract during the 18 month minimum term, you may be required to pay the applicable monthly charge for your tariff until the end of the minimum term. This will not apply if your purchase a new iPhone from us, in which case you agree that a new 18 month minimum term will apply."

Hmm which goes along with what I was saying. Although they've already contradicted this with their offer for the 16gb iPhone.

Guess we just have to wait and see. :-(

yvonnejim

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2008
Extended Contract

Not sure if this was addressed specifically, but if I got an AT&T contract for 2 years back when the first iPhone came out, can I buy the new iPhone for the assumed discounted price and extend my contract for an additional 2 years? Seems this would be possible.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
I'll be the prognosticating cloud of gloom. :)

Sure, 3G certainly has an overall throughput that spanks EDGE, but the existing 3G networks have HORRIBLE latency. The 3G iPhone will be a marked improvement and will continue to be the best portable internet device, but I predict a legion of whiners saying, "Not fast enough!".

Apple usually gives users what they, want; the problem is that a lot of users don't know what they want. :)

Not many will be playing WoW on the iPhone, Blizzard has not announced it yet. So lag will not kill you.:)

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
It's normal in the UK that any change such as a phone upgrade restarts your minimum contract term from the start (one trick they like to pull is offer you a 'cheaper tariff for free' or 'free friends and family calls' or similar, then silently drop you on an 18 month new contract without pointing that out.. because it's still not so widely known that it's universal practice to restart contracts in this way).

Anyway, from the pay monthly T&C for iphone (http://www.o2.co.uk/termsconditions/tariffsandboltons0153) clause 2 in 'General':

"If you end your contract during the 18 month minimum term, you may be required to pay the applicable monthly charge for your tariff until the end of the minimum term. This will not apply if your purchase a new iPhone from us, in which case you agree that a new 18 month minimum term will apply."

Which is, as I read it, the standard ability to buy your way out of the contract early, with an extra exception to allow you to upgrade an iphone within 18 months - but restarting the 18 month minimum period.

As this is what is in the contract you agree to I'd believe that rather than a customer service person.

So your current iPhone which you have paid in full for breaks down or gets stolen. Sorry, your going to have to get a new contract out to get a new one. Just doesn't work like that. I see where you are coming from with your argument, but looking at it like that it seems you could just get the new 3G iPhone and carry on with your contract after a soft activation.

Also the person I was talking to was someone who was actually very good for once. I agree with you totally to not trust what these people say. I talk to many of these people virtually all of whom are useless but this person was actually genuinely knowledgeable and helpful.

EDIT: Also your link is for the terms for general phones from O2. iPhone is no general phone thats for sure: The actual terms and conditions are here, have had a quick browse through so may have missed it but cannot see anything that ties you to the particular iPhone you have.

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
Hmm which goes along with what I was saying. Although they've already contradicted this with their offer for the 16gb iPhone.

Guess we just have to wait and see. :-(

Of course the wording of that contract is very specific.

"if your purchase a new iPhone from us..."

Buy your new iphone from the apple store and you'll be sorted :p

I'm guessing they assume that 90% of users wouldn't know how to swap the SIM and are not near an apple store anyway.

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
How did the release of the first iPhone go down?

Did they announce it and say it will go on sale in a week or did they just say Its availiable and go get it?

I thought I remembered people standing in line, but dont remember how it was announced. How long before sales?

Also it would be cool if we could preorder (at Apple or Att websites) and have them ship it a few days before release so you would get it on the day of release or shortly after. Prol a little more involved than that. A man can dream though :)

freddiecable

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2003
Sweden
it's is not the 3G - it is the expectations for something more. from launch they have had almost 1.5 years to plan this update - and I think they will have to do more than simply put 3G in the phone. my hopes are for 2 versions - one 2.5"-3" widescreen and the regular 3.5". i think apple has to offer one slightly smaller version.

still don't understand why 3G is so big deal. the technology is here for a very long time and apple should have released the original iphone as a 3G capable phone.

apple is only doing double and triple dipping and people bow down before them like if they were gods. :confused:

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
A little off topic

Anyone with 2 or more iPhones in a family plan?

I plan to buy 3, do I activate on my computer and get a family plan then activate each iPhone in their respective 2 other computers or are they all activated in mine? Not sure how that process goes.

Any help?

GooGleit15

macrumors member
May 20, 2008
Quick question...

Currently I have an iphone and I plan on buying the new 3g iphone when it comes out. My question is should I sell my iphone now, since I will get more money for it on ebay or just wait it out until it comes out?

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
So your current iPhone which you have paid in full for breaks down or gets stolen. Sorry, your going to have to get a new contract out to get a new one. Just doesn't work like that.

Actually it does. Of course if it breaks down normally you can send it to apple as it'd still be under warranty. Stolen.. it's an insurance job. Either theirs or possibly your household insurance.

You can order a replacement SIM after having the stolen phone blocked, but you won't get another subsidised phone without a new contract - you have to get it elsewhere at full price.

For the iphone there's little different - the purchase price isn't subsidised so it's full price for a new one anyway, but in contract terms it's the same thing.

So O2 are 100% within their rights to restart the contract if you get a new phone, because that's the agreement you signed. They don't even have to tell you they're doing this. They might be nice and either not do it or notify you they're about to, in the interests of good customer relations. OTOH there's plenty of people been 'caught out' like this by not reading the small print.

GooGleit15

macrumors member
May 20, 2008
When should I sell???

Quick question...

Currently I have an iphone and I plan on buying the new 3g iphone when it comes out. My question is should I sell my iphone now, since I will get more money for it on ebay or just wait it out until it comes out?

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
Wait, a 3G iPhone is coming out June 9th?!? Why hasn't MacRumors covered this a little bit more?

Is it just me, or does practically everyone else also feel that comments such as this are a complete waste of the forum space ... AND ... a complete insult to the intelligence of those who use this space for communication of thoughts, ideas, perspectives ... and, yes ... RUMORS!!

Comments such at the quote above, show a very low level of intelligence on the part of the poster. JMO

spaz8

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2007
Canada

Heres hoping we don't have to wait till November for Rogers to actually roll it out up here.

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
You never did, in the long run. Anyone who paid $600 for the iPhone got $200 in credit back from Apple. So I'm not clear why you and a couple of other posters are lamenting $600. :confused:

wasnt everyone who got $200 back was it??? was there not a cut off date??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.