Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
For the iphone there's little different - the purchase price isn't subsidised so it's full price for a new one anyway, but in contract terms it's the same thing.

So O2 are 100% within their rights to restart the contract if you get a new phone, because that's the agreement you signed. They don't even have to tell you they're doing this. They might be nice and either not do it or notify you they're about to, in the interests of good customer relations. OTOH there's plenty of people been 'caught out' like this by not reading the small print.

Thats the point I'm getting at. The iPhone is different. The contract doesn't supply the subside on the phone. Its yours to do what you want with. All you are doing is buying services from them. Hence you should be able to use whatever iPhone you want.

The agreement I am locked into is this one: http://www.o2.co.uk/termsconditions/iphone

If you could point out in that where the point you are trying to make is I would be very grateful.

Stately

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
NYC
Is it just me, or does practically everyone else also feel that comments such as this are a complete waste of the forum space ... AND ... a complete insult to the intelligence of those who use this space for communication of thoughts, ideas, perspectives ... and, yes ... RUMORS!!

Comments such at the quote above, show a very low level of intelligence on the part of the poster. JMO

Its just a joke. Helps break stuff up a lil'. :cool:

javaGuru

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007
So, how soon after the announcement on June 9th do you guys think it will be available? I've seen them announce things and they be available that day before. I hope this is the case. Or, do you guys think it will be available the next day or maybe even the next Friday?

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
So, how soon after the announcement on June 9th do you guys think it will be available? I've seen them announce things and they be available that day before. I hope this is the case. Or, do you guys think it will be available the next day or maybe even the next Friday?

Available June 16, 1 week after announcement and within AT&T vacation freeze.

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
China
Great news indeed, but then it depends where you live.

I have just had my (non IPhone) phone Wap-ed here and it is really slow!

Island Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
St. Cloud, FL.
I'm not really concerned about 3G, I want to hear about GPS and other features. I'm not spending any money just to upgrade to "faster" browsing speed.

iStefmac

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
Agreed. No way I'm paying $600 again (unless I can get some decent money selling mine ;) )

Yeah not a chance for me either. There will have to be some great incentives to get me to upgrade right now. My 4g iPhone that Ive had since iDay still works beautifully, no way am I going to buy something new already just for 3G. Not at the same old price point, anyway.

Something like:

3G 16 gig $299 might make me open my wallet immediately. But short of that (and thats a long shot) I'll wait a few months and let someone else get whacked with the early adopter premium this time.

Stately

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
NYC

Don't know, but I hope they are so prepared that it is released no later than a week after. I'm trying to get my business man on . . . in a touchy sorta fashion, ya dig ? :cool:

nomar383

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Rexburg, ID
Ugh at the thought of Apple or AT&T offering discounts on THE coolest phone on the planet. I realize this is simply a moneys game and Apple wants to sell as many phones as possible, but...I CHERISH MY EXCLUSIVITY! This reeks of what happened with the RAZR! Remember when you were the ONLY person who had one then suddenly EVERYBODY (literally) got one?! Remember how it sucked to then have the same phone as every other lowlife on the planet? This is exactly what's gonna happen if they discount the iPhone so deeply that everybody can afford one! I currently get a cheap thrill outta knowing that at any given time in any given place I'm one of if not the only dude with an iphone! Oh well. Say goodbye to that if they cheapen it. Mass consumerism sucks!

Dude. I understand. :)

Half Glass

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2006
No iPhone sales for a month...

Still it`s hard to believe how the hell did Apple screw up this bad. iPhone 3G after June 9th???? That means more than a month of zero iphone sales. They have never done something like this with any of their other products. I still cant digest it....:confused:

I'll tell you why. In the medicine business this is a washout period. No sales now because no one can return an original iPhone under Apple's return policy. Plain and simple. If people were buying one now, it would be a mess to return them all for the 3G model.

--HG

Macinposh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
Kreplakistan
If it would have GPS, what maps would/could iPhone use?

The tele atlas maps, garmin,what? Is there any layer they could operate on?
What would be the form? Would it be google maps?

Havent found any speculaiton on this behalf, so intrested to hear peoples opinions.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
I'm not really concerned about 3G, I want to hear about GPS and other features. I'm not spending any money just to upgrade to "faster" browsing speed.

Thats the general consensus around my work is that everyone is ready for the 2nd Gen, but not running too AT&T or Apple store till the specs are out. Than determine whether its worth it . :rolleyes:

Besides has anyone else really looked at 3G availability on AT&T's web site? Not that big at all :eek:

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
But seriously.....

The iPhone needs to incorporate Draft-N if it can.

I was all but ready to swop out my current APEXT G network for an all Draft-N until I realized that my iPhone wouldn't be able to get onto the WiFi network without some help from my preexisting APEXT G base station LAN connected to the new APEXT N base.

I'm not sure if there are any size issues with Draft-N in regards to the chipset and antennas and all that fitting into the new iPhone case with a 3G chipset.

Marvin1379

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
New York
Still it`s hard to believe how the hell did Apple screw up this bad. iPhone 3G after June 9th???? That means more than a month of zero iphone sales. They have never done something like this with any of their other products. I still cant digest it....:confused:

they didnt screw up at all...they're avoiding the "Waaaaaah" Factor. if someone bought a 1st gen iPhone on june 8th (even on may 8th) then the 3G iPhone comes out, many people would be up in arms. they're avoiding the kind of backlash they got by dropping the price last fall. this is very delibrate and very smart. they're using up all the remaining product (low supply) and then coming out with they're new version (high demand).

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
Thats the general consensus around my work is that everyone is ready for the 2nd Gen, but not running too AT&T or Apple store till the specs are out. Than determine whether its worth it . :rolleyes:

Besides has anyone else really looked at 3G availability on AT&T's web site? Not that big at all :eek:

Have you looked recently? I looked about a month ago and was SHOCKED that it spread across NY State Ten Fold since January 1st.

The coverage is a helluva-lot better than it was a mere 4 months ago.

AlphaAnt

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2006
MD, USA
The iPhone needs to incorporate Draft-N if it can.

I was all but ready to swop out my current APEXT G network for an all Draft-N until I realized that my iPhone wouldn't be able to get onto the WiFi network without some help from my preexisting APEXT G base station LAN connected to the new APEXT N base.

I'm not sure if there are any size issues with Draft-N in regards to the chipset and antennas and all that fitting into the new iPhone case with a 3G chipset.

For one, all Draft N access points are backwards compatible with A, B, and G devices, so you should still be able to connect a 802.11G iPhone to a Draft N access point.

Besides, for a device with this small a processor, the Wi-Fi connection is definitely not the limiting bottleneck. Would you really notice that your phone is getting a 55 Mbit/s connection and not 110 Mbit/s?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.