Considering returning my Verizon iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by grelcar, Feb 8, 2011.

1. grelcar macrumors newbie

This is my first post, please don't consider this a troll.

I recieved my much anticipated iPhone on Verizon. I find the 3G wireless useless. I am getting download speeds in the 100-200Kbps range and upload speeds well below 100kbps. I am expierencing this at my home and work locations, where I will be using it the most. I have a netbook with built-in Verizon 3G wireless and get 700-800kbps/200-300kbps download /upload speeds at the same locations around the same time. I am unable to stream audio (Pandora etc.), YouTube is a joke. Trying to web browse is painful, think modem. It works fine connected to Wi-Fi. Am I expecting too much, I don't think so. Basically I have an iPod touch that makes phone calls. I was hoping to replace my mobile broadband account by using the iPhone as a mobile hotspot. I have an Apple store and a Verizon store near where I work, would there be a prefered option where to take it to have it checked out?

2. kre62 macrumors 68000

Try not to bridge the line on the bottom left with your hand, or pinky, or anything and see if things improve. Lay the phone down flat and see if the speed rates go up. Otherwise its probably just server overload due to mass activations and wait a week or so.

3. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

i was waiting for post like this ... the only thing worse then an iphone with poor signal, is a slow iphone.

4. grelcar thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried it in hand and on desk, no difference.

5. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

Whoever you ordered from is the one that charged your credit card. Take it back to the Apple store if you ordered from Apple or back to the Verizon store if you ordered from Verizon.

6. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Well I'm not sure of what your expectations were before you received your new iPhone. But as for if you should return it or not, that is totally up to you.

At home, and at work, I have wifi. In fact, almost everywhere I go has wifi. I use 3G on a rare occurrence from time to time.

Its been long known that while AT&T will have faster 3G service, Verizon will have 3G service in more locations. Its a give/take situation in this instance.
    And wifi will always be faster than 3G.

Maybe you could purchase a inexpensive WAP for your home?

7. kre62 macrumors 68000

Its not likely the phone itself, it's simply network overload. These phones are more then capable of high data rates, they just need the juice coming in. AT&T might not be as bad as people thought after all. I get 2mbps in my weakest signal area.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

See if AT&T is faster in your area.
    Results will vary per location.

9. Centient macrumors 6502

If you are going to have it looked at you would want to bring it directly to Apple.

Though if one of your goals is to replace your mobile broadband with a phone/hotspot then I'd suggest waiting a week or so and see what the latest 4G Android, the LG Evolution, from VZ has to offer. If the price and speeds are there I think that would be a better solution for you.

10. grelcar thread starter macrumors newbie

3G performance close to my netbook 3G in the same locations.

11. grelcar thread starter macrumors newbie

No 4G in my area, no word as when it is happening.

12. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I was waiting for the first post to tell him how he should really be using his iPhone - as if he is using it wrong or he is the one that has to change. Really, there's no reason he should have to rely on WiFi to have adequate DL/UL speeds. This is the reason he is spending for a data plan. It's just a friggin cellphone, it should be able work as advertised and work under instances of normal use. But, I do agree with him having to make the decision to return it or not.

13. Centient macrumors 6502

I believe VZ's goal is to have most if not all of their current 3G coverage areas up and running in 4G next year. Though that's probably not enough for you at this time.

14. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

I wouldn't judge the phone on this week alone. With the mass amount of activations taking place yesterday and today, and then again on Thursday, I'd give it til next week and see if that's what's causing the issues. If you're getting 800-900 on your Verizon built-in 3G, then you should get around that on a Verizon mobile phone. Just give it another week.

15. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

At least wait until the first firmware update which could be coming in the next week or so. But be mindful of your return policy.

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I thought Verizon was "READY". Sorry, had to go there. :p

17. Northshore macrumors newbie

My experience at home:
    3 bars
    1.1 MB down
    .67 MB up
    255 ping

Former BB 8310 user...I'm totally satisfied, at least at home!

18. iFitz macrumors regular

I guess it all depends on what you're used to and where you're located. My friend in Chicago said it's lightening fast compared to her Blackberry Storm. I came from a iPhone 4 on AT&T and it's about the same. If there is a difference, it's negligible .

19. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

honestly a motorola razr s better then a BB storm.

I hated that phone.

20. Stinkypalm macrumors member

Always pick the network that works best in your area 1st, the phone 2nd.

21. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

Agreed. Hence why i'm very happy w/ my iPhone since ATT has too many issues around me (normal big city signal issues for them. It happens, no biggie).

Anyhow I've found my iPhone is on par w/ my previous Verizon devices as far as EVDO RevA speeds. No problems to report, and my signal is actually better than my Droid and previous Blackberry's at home so that's another plus for it.

22. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

True, I wasn't trying to infer he was using it incorrectly. The wifi was just a suggestion that would give him faster speeds at home.
    Of course, as with any carrier, the speeds will always vary and are dependent upon many factors. Bandwidth saturation, signal attenuation, etc.
    Its really a personal choice.
    Where I'm at, having anything other than AT&T doesn't make sense since Dallas is a HQ for AT&T and the signal + bandwidth are great. If I moved north 100 miles, then Verizon would be the way to go.

23. dagored macrumors 65816

Right side of Ohio, south of Pittsburgh

AT&T
    1.02 down
    .76 up
    289 ping

24. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Those are poor numbers, id be concerned if I got such unsatisfactory performance.

25. doubleaa macrumors regular

I'm get 500k download and 300k upload here at my house. Plenty of bandwidth for a smart phone. I use wi-fi 70% of the time any way.