Contact Info for Millions of Instagram Influencers, Celebrities, and Brand Accounts Leaked Online

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 20, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A database that contained contact information for millions of Instagram influencers, celebrities, and brand accounts was recently leaked online, reports TechCrunch.

The database, which was hosted by Amazon Web Services and contains more than 49 million records, was accessible without a password or other credentials according to the security researcher who informed TechCrunch about the leak.

Records include public data pulled from Instagram, such as profile picture, biography, and follower numbers, but also private contact information like phone numbers and email addresses.

Records also calculated the "worth" of each account based on follower count, engagement, reach, likes, and shares.

The database was initially uploaded and shared by Mumbai-based social media marketing firm Chtrbox, a company that pays Instagram influencers to share sponsored content. Though uploaded by Chtrbox, the database includes info from influencers who have never worked with the company.
    After hearing from TechCrunch, Chtrbox took the database offline, but the company's CEO did not respond to a request for comment on how the data was obtained.

Instagram parent company Facebook said that it was looking into the issue and aiming to determine whether the data was from Instagram or other sources. "We're also inquiring with Chtrbox to understand where this data came from and how it became publicly available," said Facebook.

Article Link: Contact Info for Millions of Instagram Influencers, Celebrities, and Brand Accounts Leaked Online

2. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

3. Stiss macrumors 6502a

Facebook simply can not be trusted with your private information.

4. Radon87000 macrumors 604

5. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

The bad news from Facebook keeps rolling in. Facebook is really the one with an illusion of privacy.

6. Blackstick macrumors 6502a

Blackstick

Facebook's criminal, flagrant disregard for their user privacy strikes again.

7. Exile714 macrumors 6502a

Um, there can't possibly be 49 million "influencers and celebrities" on Instagram. This included normal people, too, didn't it?

8. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

Am I the only one who thinks the term “Instagram Influencer” is more of a crime?

9. code-m, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019

code-m macrumors 65816

code-m

You have no privacy if interacting with companies such as Facebook, Google, Amazon, etc.

Apple is better at protecting ones privacy, for how long is yet to be seen.

Glad my use of social media is limited, my life is bliss. I don’t need to know what you ate at every meal, dress, etc. If I am interested I will call, text or hang out. People are addicted to this nonsense.

10. sputnikv macrumors 6502

sputnikv

If everyone just made all of their information public, Facebook and perhaps even Google would collapse

11. code-m macrumors 65816

code-m

Influencers is just another word for advertisers who are trying to make it sound hip and cool. Like sanitary engineer or maintainer (aka Janitor).

12. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Everyone is a celebrity influencer now, even if you never heard of them and never will. At least in their own mind.

13. NickName99 macrumors regular

NickName99

Facebook privacy is even more of a mess than MacBook keyboards these days

14. Big Ron macrumors 6502

Big Ron

How much longer as the powers to be gonna tolerate this?

15. code-m macrumors 65816

code-m

That is the wet dream of these companies if people willingly provide it without any services rendered.

16. maverick28 macrumors regular

I think you should move to three-factor authentication, two not enough clearly.

17. Appurushido macrumors 6502

It's going to come to a point where everyone will become desensitized to all of this info leaking and it will keep happening. Look at Target, Walmart and other big chain retailers. Nothing happened. Look at what happened with Facebook, nothing. With all the other companies that had info leaked and didn't notify their customers for months or even years.

At this point it only benefits new/social media outlets profiting off news like this if they don't help in the cause to call these companies out by putting out more meaningful articles than just posting the obvious for more traffic.

18. AMTYVLE macrumors 6502a

AMTYVLE

Facebook needs to be shut down, along with any other companies Facebook has their hand in....Instagram...WhatsApp...and whatever else. This needs to stop already....

19. sshambles macrumors 6502a

sshambles

I expect nothing less of a Zuckerberg owned company.

20. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

The everpresent "World of the camera shy..." (We got an app for that!)

21. sputnikv macrumors 6502

sputnikv

If everyone's information is public, they can't then sell it now.

22. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

They're doing it for us.

23. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

Only Google takes security seriously and has a good track record. Facebook, Instagram, Apple, etc. approach security as an afterthought with poorer track records. Furthermore, Instagram seems redundant and limited (short video clips) when you can use YouTube.

24. JetTester macrumors 6502

Can't say it often enough: Facebook is evil, Zuckerberg is evil.

25. nouveau_redneck macrumors 6502

Yes, Google does have excellent security. Possibly the best in the business.

Contrast that to Google having horrible privacy practices. Absolutely the worst in the business, no question.

I'll stick with Apple, thanks.