Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottishwildcat

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
Only Google takes security seriously and has a good track record. Facebook, Instagram, Apple, etc. approach security as an afterthought with poorer track records.
Do enlighten us about Apple's poor security track record. Other than brute force attacks caused by users choosing crappy passwords, or other social engineering methods, I can only think of one actual genuine Apple security breach (the Australian kid) in the past decade or so.

78Bandit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
Um, there can't possibly be 49 million "influencers and celebrities" on Instagram. This included normal people, too, didn't it?

Probably anyone with over 1,000 followers is labeled an influencer and would be a target for companies to try and get product endorsements from.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Man, FB can't get their act together. Amazing the level of incompetence. Like they say, The fish rot from the head down.

techfreak23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2013
Seems like one of these happens every other month lol Facebook and social media in general just need to die out already.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Facebook is evil. And the whole idea of “influencers” makes me want to vomit.

Reactions: Huck

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
I know everyone wants to jump on the Facebook hate bandwagon here, but there is nothing that says that Facebook/Instagram had anything to do with this database being unsecured or leaking. It appears to be data gathered by a third party, based on the reporting.

Reactions: Souponastick270

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Facebook needs to be shut down, along with any other companies Facebook has their hand in....Instagram...WhatsApp...and whatever else. This needs to stop already....

And who do you want to shut them down?

If consumers want to mess around with them and get hurt, shouldn’t they be free to do so? Whenever they mess up, the media can report on it, and consumers can make informed decisions.

Nobody’s wanting to shut down payday and student loan lenders. Those have a lot bigger impact on our economy than facebook’s security.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
If everyone's information is public, they can't then sell it now.

What you don’t realize is that they will use it for personal gain without provide a vessel to collect I.E. social media.

If I had access to free personal data of masses, I can create algorithms that I can sell or use against those very same people. Government agencies have your data, however are limited to use it by law. I prefer not to get into the positives, negatives and what has or has not been done as it is a discussion for a thread on its own.

SkydiveGuy

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2007
What is the reason for saying "it was hosted on AWS"? Its not Amazons fault/

Amazon is responsible for physically securing the servers. Security OF the cloud. Facebook is responsible for security IN the cloud which is protecting their data with a password.

appleairmail

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2019
You have no privacy if interacting with companies such as Facebook, Google, Amazon, etc.

Apple is better at protecting ones privacy, for how long is yet to be seen.

Glad my use of social media is limited, my life is bliss. I don’t need to know what you ate at every meal, dress, etc. If I am interested I will call, text or hang out. People are addicted to this nonsense.

The company that brought us the Fappening because it allowed people brute force iCloud passwords for so long there were multiple open source hack programs available on github. Sure, tells us another.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Give us your personal info. No worries. We guarantee your privacy and data security.
But then there is yet another breach...wash, rinse, repeat.
But hey, what do I know? I"m not an "influencer"....:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.