Control Apple Music on Apple TV without tv turned on

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by rturner2, Feb 11, 2018.

1. rturner2 macrumors 6502a

It would be nice if Apple allowed the Apple TV screen content to mirror back to your phone so you could control Apple Music ie. listen to Apple TV via WiFi without using a phone or iPad via airplay. Which drains battery etc.

Or if when using airplay for music from iphone and a track is selected, that Apple TV could stream the Apple Music song from WiFi (on the Apple TV) and use the phone simply as a (smart) remote with an interface.

Currently the Remote app is limited ie. can’t visually select a new artist, playlist etc and it’s somewhat slow to respond especially on Apple Watch.

2. priitv8 macrumors 68040

You can control this from Music app on iPhone, imho.

3. rturner2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

How?

I thought this only controls music playing on my phone; not the music app on Apple TV.

4. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    The remote app used to work as you are wishing here. Then Apple decided to "improve" it, so that it would basically be a taller & fatter copy of the screen-less remote that comes with :apple:TV. I completely agree that a better use of a real screen in your hands would be to mirror back at least the UI controls (on-screen lists, etc) for those that want to use the :apple:TV as a jukebox with TV off.

5. priitv8 macrumors 68040

Yes, AirPlaying to appleTV is what I meant.

6. bucksaddle macrumors 6502

If you are on 11.2.5 and have an Apple TV 4 or 4K then it does exactly what the OP is looking for. In the Music app on an iOS device click on the small AirPlay icon, then select the Apple TV device lozenge from the new device list and go back to your music library. It is now showing you browsing your music on the Apple TV where you can browse artist, albums, playlists, etc and when you select a track it will start playing directly from the Apple TV.
    No requirement to AirPlay from iOS device and the TV can be off.

7. rturner2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's not my question.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2018 ---
    Great thanks.... so why does audio cut out sometimes if it's using wifi from Apple TV?

8. iSayuSay macrumors 68040

iSayuSay

Spotify Connect is the perfect feature for the occassion. It's a killer feature that Apple Music does not have. You can "throw" the audio to be played on Connect devices as if it's an Airplay (but no, you're just telling the Spotify app on the other end to play a particular music), it also works as remote controller for the ongoing playback.
    On the flip side, Spotify does not currently have an Apple TV app to make this possible.

In the meantime, you can just Airplay the music through Apple TV, but you must have your TV turned on, unless you connect it to AV receiver, which can play the audio without turning on the TV.
    It's kinda dumb though, if you have the TV turned on, you can just use the Music app on Apple TV, play your songs and save that iPhone's battery.

Or Spotify could've made an app for Apple TV.. This problem could've been solved much easier since Connect is the best solution for that.

TL'DR It's currently not possible to control the music with the tv turned off. All you can do is Airplay through Apple TV. Remote app on the iphone doesn't work to browse Apple Music, only ones that's in your playlist or itunes library.

9. jjjjjooooo, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

jjjjjooooo Suspended

The HomePod line will presumably be their solution to this problem. Or at least until they make their own wireless television—it could quickly wake and sleep the display by default like their other devices—while continuing to play audio—rather than pulling up screen savers.

It could maybe do this now, but you presumably couldn’t use HDMI-CEC. (Maybe HDMI 2.1 will address this.)

But your television’s remote may have a button (e.g. “PIC OFF”) to do this manually. (And there may be a settings option if not.)

10. yayarod macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Feb 18, 2018 ---
    But be aware of the following detail: if your Apple TV is connected directly to the TV and not to a receiver the only way to use this long awaited new feature is to have an AirPort Express to send the audio to. The other way would be to buy a HDMI splitter to extract the audio but this to weird.
    This fantastic new feature in iOS 11.2.5 has three benefits:
    - TV can be off
    - AirPlay not required. No dedicated battery drain on iPhone or iPad.
    - AND something NOBODY mentioned: if you use good headphones you can notice that the ALL cabled music reproduction through the Apple TV has a slightly (by a very thin margin) better audio quality than using AirPlay.

11. yayarod macrumors newbie

You are not correct. If you start playing music through your iOS device and you then use the small AirPlay icon to change destinations the music is streamed to the Apple TV through AirPlay. You can check this using Control Center: iPhone -> Apple TV is shown. To ensure the music plays directly from the Apple TV you need to open Control Center first and open the Apple TV tile. Then when you return to Apple Music on your iPhone or iPad you will see Apple TV on the reproduction control at the bottom.
    And the TV can only be off if you have your Apple TV connected to a receiver and not to the TV directly.
    If your Apple TV is connected to the TV directly you need a HDMI splitter to extract the audio channel to allow for music reproduction with TV off.
    The best way to hear Apple Music directly from the Apple TV with the TV off if you don’t have a receiver is to use an AirPort Express and send the sound from the Apple TV to the AirPort Express.
    The benefit over using AirPlay are many as stated above, but just the finer sound quality (only noticeable through headphones and changing sources many times) is the main reason perfectionists would choose to go this way.

12. yayarod macrumors newbie

I apologize for the correction I made at the beginning. Now it is possible to change the device to control (HomePod or Apple TV) from within the Music app clicking on the red triangle.

13. iSayuSay, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018

iSayuSay macrumors 68040

iSayuSay

I'd like to make a correction to my previous post. You can actually control and browse the Music played from your Apple TV, and HomePod in this regard. Please be notified that this only works from Apple Music. If you have Spotify or anything else, you can stick to Airplay to your Apple TV. Not as good to be honest because it drains up your iPhone battery real good.

You just need an iOS device for this, connected to the same WiFi network on all your Apple TV or HomePod. You simply need to pull up Control Center from your iPhone/iPad.

IMG_2293.png

3D Touch on Music section (or tap and hold for iPad) in the Control Center and you'll get this

IMG_2292.png

This individual box will control Apple Music on each device. In my case I have the top section is for local playback (iPhone music playback), then in the middle is the BEDROOM section which is a Homepod, and the bottom one is BEDROOM is my Apple TV's name. You can tap each box and it'll bring you back to Music App but it's for each respective devices. Once you're inside you will be able to control any playback for that particular device. You can choose any songs, play/pause and adjust the volume too.

So yeah, no need to turning on your TV or browse the Music interface via your Siri Remote. And let me assure you this method is NOT AIRPLAY STREAMING. It's an individual playback operation. Just again, keep in mind:

1. You need an iOS device for remote control
    2. Your devices need to be connected to the same WiFi network and using the same Apple ID.
    3. You need to use Apple MUSIC, and Apple MUSIC only. Other audio sources has to go through Airplay. It's  after all!

Hope this helps and I apologize for any misinformation before.