Convincing my Dad to Go MAC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dedic8d2hockey, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Dedic8d2hockey macrumors newbie

I am in college right now and I am long overdue for a new laptop. I have been wanting ANY type of Apple for many years, but my dad has always said one thing or another about why to stay with a PC. He gave me a plan: If I can prove to him why a mac is better and worth the extra money, he will help me buy a Macbook or Macbook pro.
    He wants me to use consumer reports to look for a PC and would rather go out and buy me a $400 HP instead of a Mac that would last much longer and be much better. I need to find info as to why macs are better, etc.
    Anybody that has done this, please help me out. I would really appreciate it.

Just so you know what I need/ am looking for:
    I need to be able to run Windows XP on the MAC via VMware
    I don't do gaming or any video editing or other graphically intensive programs.
    I want this to last me atleast 4 years and still be worth something after normal use.

THANKS!

2. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I'd look at the white MacBook, since your dad is paying and you'll need to convince him it's worth the price of entry. There is no objective proof that Macs are better than PCs, so a low price point would help your case.

That, and for your needs, you don't need a MBP. :)

As for reasons, I went through a similar process when I went to college and got my MacBook. The big two, imo, are stability and productivity. I've never had my Mac crash, never had to waste time recovering files because I got a virus, etc. Contrast that to my Windows PC I used in high school, which crashed in the middle of grade 12 and took a big final project with it. Took me two days to diagnose and replace the HDD... luckily I was able in the end to recover some of my files, too.

I chose a Mac mainly because I did not want to be halfway across the country from home and fighting with my computer to get an assignment in on time. :)

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

compare the specs on the 500 machine to the macbook's. also factor in the cost of adware/spyware protection for how ever many years to the mix. go on craigslist and see how much people are getting for their two year old macs and compare that to pc's-the argument being that macs hold their value better.

again, i'd suggest the 999 white macbook. convincing your dad to spend 4x as much on a mbp may be too tough of a sell

4. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

The biggest thing to it! Unfortunately is something thats very hard to prove or demonstrate without using one for a while. Going from a Microsoft PC to a Mac was like a breath of fresh air; quality and overall performance are simply better, but the biggest reason i love macs is OSX. It makes me wonder what kind of idiots they employ at Microsoft.

I don't understand why many people don't find the design an important feature. Im not after a flaming on how superficial i might sound, but aesthetics are damn important!

peace

5. bindigok macrumors regular

I've had my PowerBook for 5 years. I've only ever had one problem related to a recall of the board that reads the RAM, which Apple took care of - in fact I had my laptop back in less than a week with NO OUT OF POCKET expenses. Apple paid for the entire thing. I've never had any crashes. I've never had to waste time defragging (defraging??), reloading my system, recovering my data, dealing with how an antivirus messed up my settings or firewall, nor have I had to waste time with any worms etc.

I did buy the upgrade to Leopard when it came out, which was well worth it. So the only cost was $80. That's it.

Beyond the original cost of my computer, I've spent $80 on it. I purchased it with MS Office for Mac. I've never run Windows (older Mac), and I went to school and now work in a Windows world - NEVER A PROBLEM with compatibility. All my printers/scanners have worked without any problems - never needed drivers - anther time waster.

I guess my main point is don't forget to factor in TIME. I know what it's like being a student - you need all the time you can. So the less time you spend trying to get your computer to work just so you can type a paper or log-on to your classes, the more money you save in the long run.

My stepdad has purchased 2 computers (PCs with Windows) since I've had my PowerBook. He recently purchased a "good buy" but it had Vista. Vista isn't compatible with much anyways, but his scanner, printer, and camera do not support Vista 64 at all!!! He's had to spend more money getting new peripherals. If you buy a Mac, most of your peripherals will work with ease - and any future Macs will work with ease.

You are not just buying the computer, you are buying a better Operating System - better security, better stability, better protection for your papers and important school stuff. Time Machine is a great feature - the backup program is built into the system. You don't need to buy anything except maybe Office. The Windows backup program sucks, I've tried to set it up for my mom, and it's terrible. She can spend money to buy a better program - but she has to spend a lot of money to get better software than what comes with Windows.

Hope that helps. Remember to include time as a cost, and figure that you will have to buy additional software with Windows (the stuff that comes with it is terrible!).

6. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

7. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

A few years ago (say 2004 or 2005) you would have had no problem convincing him that a Mac was best.

These days machines from every company are pretty much equal, as are the Operating Systems. The only thing which I've noticed which is markedly different on a Mac compared to some PC manufacturers is build quality.

You have to consider though, is that worth paying a huge extra expense for? You can get a computer which outperforms a MacBook for far less money. You're paying for the brand and not much else.

8. bindigok macrumors regular

Are you an Apple user or PC user??? You seem pretty down on Macs, yet you are on a Mac forum.???

Anyway, Windows XP and even Vista are radically different from Mac OS - esp. in terms of security - not even in the same league. I use all 3 OSs and Mac is FAR FAR better.

Another thing to think about is doing presentations. Mac and Keynote make it incredibly easy as a student to do wonderful presentations. PCs and PowerPoint presentations are never as good unless it is a very experienced speaker. Just something to think about.

9. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

:apple:ITS AN INVESTMENT POWERBOOKS STILL SELL FOR $400 YOU CAN SELL FOR MONEY AFTER COLLEGE CANT DO THAT WITH A PC PLUS NO VIRUSES!:apple:

10. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Yeah nothing says 'investment' like a machine that has lost $2000 of its value! :p

11. Smacky macrumors 6502

Get a job, save up and buy your laptop of preference

12. bindigok macrumors regular

I've never heard anyone regret buying a Mac or switching to a Mac!! And I've helped several college students switch. But I've had a ton of people regret the PC they got, esp. if they got it cheap; but mostly people regret Windows and need a new PC after about 2-3 years.

I've never sold an old Mac, but you could. I give them to family or friends to try out. But in your case, that is a good selling point.

Try selling a 5 year old PC.......you won't get anything for it!!!!

It seems like there are a lot of Mac haters on here......?????...?????

13. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Find me a windows 98 laptop selling for $400-$500 any laptop from 2001 era as well!

14. belvdr macrumors 603

Investsments are made to make money (or appreciate in value), so therefore, not even a Mac is a good investment (as it depreciates in value).

Except for here, I never knew anyone who looked at their trade-in value on equipment (not even businesses). You use them to get the job done, and gets replaced when needed.

15. desiringGod macrumors regular

Wait until the summer offer when you can get the education discount and some kind of free ipod (last year it was a touch). Hopefully SL will be out then as well.

You could then buy a macbook with the education discount and then sell the ipod to help out even more.

Between now and then sell some things you don't need and save up the money for the difference between what your dad will pay and what the computer cost. If he sees that you are willing to work for it and not just thing he should pay for all of it, it will make a lot of difference.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...computers/laptop-ratings/ratings-overview.htm

This link shows the macbook as the 3rd best 13" computer and cheaper than the top two computers.

One big selling factor along with stability and reliability is the small number of viruses for the mac versus the PC.

16. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

I went through the same self argument that you had. I wanted to build a sweet custom gaming rig for myself. But I started watching the guided tours on Apple's site, started getting into the community, started researching all the apps, all the interfaces, and decided it was time for a Mac. :)

And I'm never looking back.

One of the reasons that people are worried about buying a Mac, is that they're afraid that a Mac isn't going to have the applications they need. But if you do your research, there's a Mac app for every Windows program out there: and usually the Mac's app is a whole lot better. ;)

17. bobriot macrumors member

You're not just buying a laptop you are also getting excellent customer service from Apple Inc and if you buy the applecare that will last for 3 years. My experiences when dealing with Apple have been nothing short of excellent. I have dealt with other manufacturers (quite recently ACER) who just do not spend the money on customer after-sales care and support.

18. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Apple machines last for a long time. I got my Macbook Pro in early 2006 and still have no good reason to get a new one.

19. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

I think there's a difference between being down on Macs and being objective about their value, this situation concerning the latter.

While I do greatly prefer Keynote to Powerpoint, a crappy speaker is a crappy speaker. Pretty transition effects won't help, and no one cares how easy the presentation was to make.

Also, and this is just my OCD speaking, MAC does not equal Mac(intosh Computer).

Edit: Concerning miles01110's comment, I am in a production-based university program and I'm using my 2005 iBook for everything (besides CS3 when I need it). And I do more with it than 90% of the people I know who are students here and who use (better) Macs.

20. bindigok macrumors regular

1. Are you going to tell me that it is objective to say that Macs are equal in value to Acers and that OS X is equal in value to Windows? Yes, Macs cost more; but Macs have better value. The post I was responding to said that all PC manufacturers were on par with Macs. That is not objective, Consumer Reports and numerous other reviewers agree that Macs are generally a better value. There are some quality PCs that are a better value, but NOT all. So yes, I would say that was being down on Macs...I say all this just to give you a hard time though. (clearly a slow day at work). And the early post that started this said that you are only paying for a brand and nothing else... That is not objective, I would get a hackintosh in a heartbeat if I were better at understanding them, but I buy from Apple b/c everything is taken care of - I don't have to worry about much other than running my programs.

2. I've seen numerous BAD BAD PowerPoints. And I've seen good speakers with them and bad speakers with them. At least with the good speakers, you don't notice the crappy PowerPoint. But I've actually never seen a bad Keynote (not that they don't exist). I average 4-5 presentations per week at work, and all the Mac people that I've seen use Keynote have far better presentations. I realize that the user plays the biggest role, but when the software is easier to use then the user can do more, do better.

3. Where in this thread do you see MAC and not Mac?

21. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

well if a mac is what you truly want, then you should not let your dad stop you. maybe if you show him some of apple's videos, he might finally succumb?

^^ pwned?

22. belvdr macrumors 603

The title.

As for bad powerpoint/keynote, it's all about the content. I don't believe you could knock either one of the products, just the user's content as being bad.

23. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'd have to say that there's no reason to get a $1000 Macbook when a $400 HP would work just fine. If you do that, you're basically giving Apple $600 to be "hip"

Granted, if you're the type of person who never backs anything up and is always getting viruses, it's worth spending $1200 for a macbook (plus external hard drive for time machine). Otherwise, any $400 PC will work fine for word processing and email

24. ChrisA macrumors G4

Only one reason to buy a Mac: so you can run Mac software.

So, if you need to use Aperture, Logic, Pages, Garage Band or whatever then you need a Mac. In fact the ONLY reason to own a computer at all is so you can run software. So pick the software first then get the computer that runs it best. I'm typing this on a dual xeon powered HP that runs Linux this is used for software development. At home I have a 24" imac and a Mini to run Logic, Final Cut, Aperture and Photoshop. None of those run under Linux

If the only thing yo use the computer for id running a web browser then buy a used PC notebook and install Linux and Firefox.

If someone gives you a Dell sell it and put the cash into what you really need.

25. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

QFT.

If the OP has absolutely no need for a Mac, why should he waste $600 of his Dad's money to get what he doesn't need?