Cool use for folders in 4.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigjnyc, Apr 13, 2010.

1. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Found this picture online, this is a pretty cool way to use folders for those that like a clean, neat looking interface. Just arrange all your apps into 4 folders on the dock. Of course most people can't fit all their apps into 4 folders but I guess this can clean up the home page at least. That also gives you a chance to fully see the wallpaper.

Attached Files:

2. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

I tried this earlier but undid it pretty fast. I don't like the extra steps involved in opening apps. But yeah, it looks good.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ha ha...I predict that pretty much EVERYONE will spend a day with 1 page full of 20 folders.

Then they'll realize that two taps to get to the phone or e-mail isn't really a great idea and they'll give up. I'm sure there will be a ton of threads about that exact thing happening.

I plan on leaving my dock and page 1 exactly like they are now. If something is there it's because I use it a lot. Why would I want to make it harder to get to?

But on page 2 and up, yeah, I'll probably use folders a lot...maybe even similar to what the OP has done where page 2 and 3 will be 4 folders each and I'll have a cool background.

4. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Thats a good point I didnt think about that, This is not mine I just found it online as I dont have 4.0.... but now that you mention it, that would be cumbersome to have to first click on the folder then click on the app just get to your phone. Does look nice and clean though.

5. jtara macrumors 65816

The optimum would seem to be two pages. The home page gets very common apps and folders. A second page gets more common apps. Everything else goes in folders on the home page. Most people will want phone, browser, and mail on the dock. Contacts seems unnecessary since that's accessible from Phone. And iPad has no Phone. So, you might want a couple of folders on the dock.

Swipe right gets you the search page. Swipe left gets you a second page. A third page seems superfluous, requiring more gestures than the folders.

Of course, you can still use the "dots" to access additional pages. IF you remember which page is which. And IF you can hit those tiny little dots.

6. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Make a screenshot and use it on your lockscreen :p

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Me like, but I would only have 1 folder down in the dock. Less clutter and more quick access to some apps.

8. Jinkst macrumors regular

I actually did this using Categories through Cydia and it lasted only a few hours before I got sick of it. Although from the keynote Folders on a 3GS looks ten times quicker at loading than Categories was on my 3G, as other posters have stated it's just creating more clicks to do simple tasks which in the end is against why I got an iPhone in the first place.

It looks good, but no substance to the process after a day. Nice wallpaper though...

9. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Will we be able to secure folders with a passcode?

10. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Sounds like another great feature that Apple would intentionally leave out.

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

OMG ... More than one tap to open an app??? I can't bare the thought!! :eek:

People are getting lazy.

12. nitromaxx macrumors member

I think its a great idea. Of course its all a matter of personal preference. I don't mind having to touch the screen one extra time as it really doesn't take THAT long to do it again. :rolleyes:

13. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

why? we already can secure the phone with a passcode. if someone stole your phone, theyd hafta get past that one anyway

14. Surrix macrumors regular

Not at present. Cool idea though.

15. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Why ANYONE cares about folders or the order of their icons after the first page when we all have spotlight to quickly launch apps is beyond me. Have fun digging through your folders everyone.

16. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

have fun typing the name of the app you can sorta remember and then end up flipping through 8 pages to find that you already deleted it because it was only the lite version so you only got 3 levels

17. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I remember the apps I have and I'd much rather type the first couple letters than scroll through pages. I'm not saying it's not helpful for other people, but I don't see the use for it. I really think that using spotlight is far faster and more effective. The problem is that since spotlight wasn't included since the beginning people don't want to change their habits since they got used to searching and organizing all the apps. Spotlight is far more time efficient.

18. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I will probably do about what I do now with Categories: keep my home page for the most frequently used apps and put most other things in folders on the second page.

But you did. And you shouted it.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I like the idea of folders to categorize my apps. As for the first post, it looks great, but like others have already said it adds another step to doing things which I don't like.

20. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I meant to say that I don't see why anyone would need them, not that folders shouldn't have been included. People do things I don't understand all the time, but that doesn't mean their needs shouldn't be catered to, even though I disagree with them.

But my view is that, past the first page (maybe two) at least, folders add steps to in comparison to just spotlighting something.

21. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Though I have other folders, i like it like this. I have my most used on page 1 with the phone, todo, and mail apps in dock and an "Apple" folder (stupid name, I know) that has most of the apple apps, Safari, iPod Google Maps, Photos, iTunes, App Store, etc) available for easy access on any page.

Also made a bunch of other folders but not sure how many will stick.

Attached Files:

22. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

if people didnt need them, why would they be included? and if people don't need them, then there are no needs to cater to

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

So, just because Apple includes something that you don't use means that they are catering to other people?

24. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

the "apple" folder you made is similar to what I'm thinking about doing; i'm going to put the included apps i use the most in one folder right on the dock

25. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

People want folders. That is a "want" that Apple is striving to meet in this instance even though it's my position that someone who is using their iPhone in the most time-saving and efficient way wouldn't need them.