Core 2 Duo MacBooks Tomorrow?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
50,049
11,318
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

While hardly definitive, MacRumors has received a few reports that may indicate the long-awaited Core 2 Duo (Merom) MacBook revision could arrive as early as tomorrow.

None of the reports that we have received includes a "smoking gun", however at least one customer has seen his AppleCare MacBook replacement order stalled until Nov 1st, and another has seen pressure from Apple's financial department to make their purchase by today.

In addition, supplies of the current Core Duo MacBooks appear to be running thin. Earlier in the month it seemed as though Apple had achieved a supply/demand balance of the hot selling notebook. While the U.S. Apple Store still shows a turnaround of 24 hours for each current model as of this writing, some European online stores are beginning to have shipping times slip to 3 days for one or more model.

AppleInsider has previously stated that the Core 2 Duo revision was complete and a release was expected before the holiday season officially starts at the end of November.

[ Digg This ]
 

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
680
0
New Jersey
While this won't necessarily happen tomorrow, I'd say this along with AppleInsider's previous reports allows us to say with reasonable certainty that the MacBooks will indeed be bumped in time for the holidays.
 

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
2,854
1,407
Falls Church, VA
There are additional reports that I can't necessarily publish, but just so you know that we aren't just going on 2 reports and delayed Apple Store timings :)

This is, however, page 2. Don't get your hopes up. We just figure yall should have a heads up that it may happen tomorrow.

Simple answer:

No. Not tomorrow. Not next week. Not next month. Next year.

Optimistic, aren't we?
 

Optimus Rhyme

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2006
163
0
London, UK
Man I would love for them to be updated, but I really don't see it happening quite yet. If you look at the time difference between the original intel Macbook Pro and the Macbook, it leads me to believe that they will give the Macbook Pro some time to get some sales before launching.

I'm thinking sometime in November.

Needless to say, I'd still love to see an update soon. This horrible Pentium 3 is almost shedding tears it sucks soo much.
 

Rocketman

macrumors 603
If true, and it likely is soon, it is supportive of several principals:

- Updates "as available", not by some large scheme.
- 64 bit everywhere by MWSF-07 and Tiger
- iBook is more of a "form factor" differentiation than a featuritis one as compared to MBP. Yes MBP has dedicated graphics and a few more ports, but in relative speed the difference will be less than ever.

Interesting.

We will be buying 4 C2D MBs for each MBP we buy. No desktops. A first for us. Might buy a (one) refurb MP and add a Clovertown aftermarket next year.

Rocketman
 

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
5,702
293
Chicago, IL
and steve jobs told you this when? :rolleyes:

my thought is that they won't be much differnt tho. I'd guess core 2 duo and larger hard drives, everything else the same.

It's the way Apple's going to update the machines. And anyway, they would like to keep the portable lines as separate as possible spec-wise in order to denote consumer machines form professional machines.
 

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
855
0
New York, NY
Credit card in hand and ready.. This MacBook will be going to my fiance' who'll be ditching her toshiba tablet in favor of OSX + Parallels + CrossOver.
 

sierra oscar

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
254
1
South Australia, Australia
I happen to think everyone's 'opinion' is just as important and valid as another.

I think Macbooks will be updated (not b/c I know how Apple works better than anyone else) - but b/c it makes more economic sense (to me). I support the timeframe that MB's, that they will updated tmw or within 2 weeks - max.
 

Jacqui83

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2006
21
0
Kuwait
*Crossing my fingers and hoping it really is tomorrow*

Seriously I can't last much longer, been waiting since they came out really, but really really waiting since early August :/ Father is suggesting I wait all the way until Xmas/January and I'm like "NO Way!"

:eek:
 

081440

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2006
155
3
New Jersey
I hope so (for the sake of those who have waited) but I will bet no.

That's why I got a MBP this past week, need it now and couldn't stand getting a 32 bit MB when 64 bit is out...... (ahh the ways they get you to spend more :D )
 

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
1,198
0
i doubt it, arnt apples sales of desktops down? and notebooks up?

the macbook will be revised after the macmini
 

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
29,085
291
Indianapolis
I'm close to laughing at all the professors that bought MacBook Pros last month. Don't make me start on the MacBook too.
 

menthol moose

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2006
175
0
I just wish they'd stick integrated graphics back into the low-end laptop, even something like an x800. The dedicated graphics card in the MBP is the only reason why I'm buying it rather than the MacBook. Well, okay, there's also the aluminum enclosure, which I'm really loving.
 

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
3,336
17
Simple answer:

No. Not tomorrow. Not next week. Not next month. Next year.

But it really depends on does Apple really have enough Core Duos for the supply of it's MacBook range? Or will it have to update because Intel isn't really focusing on the Core Duo rather making an effort to push Core 2 Duo onto the consumer.

I think it's a supply and demand issue, if Intel can only supple Core 2 Duos rather than Core Duos then like it or not Apple will have to put Core 2 Duos in the MacBooks.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.