Corning Debuts Gorilla Glass 5 With Improved Drop Protection

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 20, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Corning today unveiled its next-generation Gorilla Glass product, Gorilla Glass 5. The new glass, designed to be used in mobile device displays, offers improved protection against breakage from accidental drops.

[​IMG]

Building on previous generations of Gorilla Glass, Corning's latest product survives 80 percent of the time when dropped face-down from 1.6 meters (5.2 feet) onto a rough surface during lab tests. According to Corning, Gorilla Glass 5 survives drops four times better than competing glass products.

Corning's Gorilla Glass 5 will begin making its way into products starting later in 2016, and it is a prime candidate for inclusion in either the 2016 iPhone 7 and/or the 2017 iPhone 8. Corning has been a long-time supplier for Apple, with Apple using its Gorilla Glass for its iPad and iPhone lineup. Corning's last Gorilla Glass product, Gorilla Glass 4, came out in 2014.

Article Link: Corning Debuts Gorilla Glass 5 With Improved Drop Protection

2. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

But does it survive scratches. That has always and will always until proven otherwise be my issue with screens.

3. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

apple watch should administer a sedative if it detects a phone dropping more than 1 feet

4. dcdunk macrumors newbie

dcdunk

5. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

I bet it still scratches when you put your phone in your pocket with literally nothing else in it.

I still can't believe that YouTubers will take knives and screwdrivers to phone screens and it doesn't leave a scratch, yet I take care and only out my phone in my pocket on its own and it's riddled with them.

6. kdarling, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016

kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    I seem to recall that Apple had filed for face-crash avoidance patents on ideas like a pop-out cushion (duh), or an internal solenoid powered weight that "kicks" to make a phone flip over to its back on the way down (like making toast always land butter side up).

Of course, the problem with such ideas, is that everyone would be constantly trying that safety feature out just for fun :D

"Hey Billy Bob, check this out! I'm gonna drop my phone and it's gonna flip over on the way down! Wait. Oops! Hey, it didn't work this time around! @#$%&!! Look at my poor screen!!"

7. sarge macrumors 6502a

sarge

more interested in improvements to anti-reflective coating....

8. simonmet macrumors 68000

simonmet

This is a company that takes a very Apple-inspired approach to iterative improvements.

9. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Yeah yeah yeah whatever.... but will not scratch due to a 0.0001mm rock?

10. GoodWheaties macrumors 6502a

GoodWheaties

From what I've seen its usually the anti-reflective/fingerprint coating that scratches not the actual glass.

11. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

Scratches are the main concern. I have never shattered a screen on anything in my life, so drop protection isn't a big deal. Scratches, however, are.

12. Oblivious.Robot, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016

Oblivious.Robot macrumors 6502a

Oblivious.Robot

As great as this is, I couldn't help but laugh when that lady dropped her phone while trying to take a selfie, the expressions are just true and purely r/instantregret material lol. :D

Also, just how short is she if 5.2 feet is above her own head?!
    Edit - Point was that they really had to select a short actor for their ad to fit in :p

13. UltimaKilo macrumors 6502

This is really big news. I hope this makes it's way onto the iPhone 7; it will ass another reason for people to upgrade.

14. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502a

mcfrazieriv

Analyst predicts: Corning to Release Gorilla Glass 6 next year.

15. daftpunker909 macrumors regular

Another reason? What's the first reason to upgrade?

16. 2457248 Suspended

curious to read that many still have scratching issues.. i have an ip5, always used without a cover, and i cannot say anything against the glass. the previous 3gs in comparison was a disaster.

maybe some micro-scratches, yes, but deep 'cuts', nope. maybe i'm just unadvertedly cautious with my gear.

17. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Still not seeing any reason not to apply a ballistic glass screen protector.

18. dtich macrumors regular

huh? phone screens are insanely scratch-resistant now. what are you talkin bout??

19. Col4bin macrumors 68000

Col4bin

As an avid phone dropper, I for one look forward to this improvement!

20. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

I use a soft skin, but basically, yeah, what he said.

21. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

If I end up breaking the screen on my iPhone 6+, would it be possible* to have a gorilla glass 5 replacement for it, or would I have to get it replaced with GG 4?

*As in, the parts will already exist. Not can I get something special/one-off that costs more than the phone does.

22. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

It exists therefore one must buy. o_O

23. bcc2k macrumors member

Well, she could be 5.1"?

24. dtich macrumors regular

gg 5S (scratch resistant) -- prob make it into iPhone 7S product cycle if you hold your breath...

/s

25. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Not sure what you're talking about. Just putting the phone in your pocket over time it develops scratches.

Pockets without keys or anything like that in them either.