Could AT&T cost you your reserve?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by corriewf, Jun 16, 2010.

1. corriewf macrumors 6502a

Like me some of you reserved an iPhone for pick up at an apple store. Here's is what I have been thinking about. With an unprecedented pre order of iPhones it's obvious that demand is high. The AT&T servers will crash, it's not a matter of if but when. When they go down it could take hours to activate at the apple store.

With this in mind, I am thinking there will be a persistent line of people at the apple store throughout the day as they won't be able to keep up with new customers waiting. If this goes into the evening it could be possible that they can't get to everyone by the close of business. Being that the reservation is only good that day, unless apple store employees make some kind of deal, you could be turned away.

What do you guys think? I think it's plausible.

2. hryan4740 macrumors regular

hryan4740

If I remember correctly, this happened at the 3G (or was it the 3Gs) launch. They just sold the phones and told you to go home and try activating via iTunes later.

3. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

But can they even access your account or set up new lines if AT&Ts servers go down?

4. SDNikki macrumors member

this does worry me a bit regarding upgrade eligibility and payment. to activate the phone, no, we don't need to be in store. but they will need to be able to access our information to charge us the correct amount. I can only hope that AT&T will have taken some measures to increase efficiency of this process by the 24th :(

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It was for the 3G, on that fateful day, Apple released OS 2 for all 1st Gen iPhone users, released the iPhone 3G to the masses, and released MobileMe.

The release of OS 2 coupled with the many activation of worldwide iPhone 3G crashed Apple's servers. This time Apple was at fault and all carriers were left hanging and telling people go home instead.

6. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I have already warned my wife that it's possible we won't have our phones come the 24th.

7. Tilt macrumors member

As for the reservation. I was told the phone is shipped to the store with my name on it. Which I kind of believe since on my receipt it states
    ship to Your name
    c/o At&t store
    store address

8. BlueRazor2 macrumors member

You got a receipt for your reservation?!

9. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah that's AT&T which could be worse since they are doing one line. I am doing the apple store where I hope it isn't first come first serve for preorders.

10. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

It is. First come, first served for pre-orders. Good luck with the store visit. That store is *#&$*#))#($*@) atrocious! I avoid it like the plague.

11. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I noticed this in their email:
    However, when I reserved an iPad they put my name on it.

12. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok just called my one and only local apple store to clear up this situation.

1st call: rep: Sorry but we don't write names down on the iPhones. It is possible that if you don't get here on time that we could have an error in our stock and sell yours. It's best to get here at 7am to avoid any "errors". There is a disclaimer at the bottom of your email that says first come first serve sir.

Me: Ok so your saying even though I reserved one, you could sell mine?

Rep: Yeah it's best to get here right at 7am.
    #%#%**^#%#{*}€~<_%,}!!!!!!!!!!

2nd call manager: me: Yeah, I was just on the phone with one of your guys and he said there could be an error with my reserve causing my phone to get sold?

Manager: If you reserved and have your confirmation email, we will make sure you are taken care of.
    Me: so do you label the phones with the persons name?
    Manager: I can't discuss the system we use to maintain our records.
    Me: so there is no way an error can happen?
    Manager: If you received an email confirmation you will be taken care of and be able to get your phone on the 24th.
    Me: I ordered two so I will be fine?
    Manager: Very good! * in a I don't give a chit tone* If you received your confirmation emails we will take care of you on the 24th.

At this point I'm a tad pissed. The manager seemed annoyed and rushed through the conversation. He also repeated himself with a sharp tone. I understand that it must be annoying to deal with a ton of customers all day but I waited up all night to reserve my phones and it took 3 hours.

If they sell my phone after I went through the work to reserve one, I'm done with apple. They seem to be getting too cocky lately with their customers. It's not that I have to have my phone, but it's the principal. I'm starting to feel like another number to apple instead of a customer.

13. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Like I said, that store is ****. Everyone that works their has a stick up their ass. Not sure what the deal is but I had the same experience several times with my 3GS. That store employs only the finest West End tools and douches. Except for one guy who is my buddy. He's probably the only smart guy there.

14. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have had no problems there taking my wife's 3GS back even though the water indicator went off. Also returned my iPad twice. First was dead pixel and second was wifi problems. Some of them in there seem like weirdos and they are constantly busy. I never feel like I can get personable customer service because they don't have time.

If apple screws this up, I'm done. Will switch to the evo or whatever and just move on. I hate to do it, but I also hate just being a number when at other companies, $600 bucks buys you a huge smile and first class service.

15. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

These guys will be there to help you long time:

[​IMG]

16. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Lol. Please tell me where I can get a $600 dollar smile and first class? If that were the case, EVERYONE would be happy. You're a number no matter where you go. Either you make peace with it or you're perpetually unhappy.

Besides, you're already vested. Makes no sense to waste money just for a fake smile. :eek:

You should read up on what's plaguing the EVO right now.

17. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Says the topmounter. Lol. :p

18. tritonj macrumors 6502a

i don't know what you want from the guy, he told you not once, not twice, but 3x that if you have it reserved and can show proof with your e-mail that you are fine. that is about all he can do for you. did you expect him to put it on his first born? seriously dude, you need to relax

as for being annoyed, i would be too, if i had to answer the same question 3x over to the same person, i''m sure the guy has been fielding that question all day. cut him some slack

19. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

You had to hear his tone. Think very sarcastic the entire time and add that he repeated the phrase in a sarcastic tone without actually answering me or addressing the fact that his employee just told me the opposite of what he is trying to tell me. He dodged my questions with the same canned response. Pretty chatty manager if he was in fact one or just a regular rep lying to me.

Maybe he should cut me some slack since his employee told me my hours of effort reserving yesterday were for nothing.

20. tritonj macrumors 6502a

honestly if you have the e-mail and can confirm your reservation either by having them look it up or from the apple store app i wouldn't worry, your phone will be there, and sure someone might sell yours but i will say it is highly unlikely. apple doesn't have a history of doing this to customers in the past with the 3GS or iPad so all will be fine

21. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Read those and if not the evo something else. I'm not going to be treated like chit. Period.

Ok money for a smile list:

As much as I hate best buy last year the manager personally bought my wife and me water and a coke and thanked us for buying a 3GS. This is in august, not launch day.

Just bought a washing machine ( fisher and paykel) for 600, the company was so happy they included free delivery and $50 off price.

Stihl chainsaw for $400. They smiled, threw in a 20 inch chainsaw bar and oil.

Stihl trimmer for $360, big smile and free trimmer cord and oil.

Apple has the best product support but the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. They just act like they are supposed to get your money instead of acting grateful. It's a weird concept for me.

22. Tilt macrumors member

Yes I did but I went to the store after unsuccessful attempts online.

It's no biggy for me. I am just pleased to get one at $199/$299 price. I got 2 Iphones last year in Sept. to offer me a new phone at that price with not even a year on my contract I can wait till they get their sh** together. I do have 5 lines on my contract though maybe they felt sorry for me.

23. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

I felt that way too but after reading about people getting their orders canceled etc, I am starting to lose trust in apple. You also have the lack of ANY communication regarding the white iPhone that leads to some more loss of trust.

Like absolutc said, they hire some real douche bags at our local store. I guess the local guys here expect you to wait in line and he certainly implied I should do so promptly at 7am. I have a wife and a two year old, I'm not sure which is worse to wait in a line with. The wife is already saying we should bring chairs if we have to wait an hour. :rolleyes: Yet she's the one that wanted to get them from the apple store. :rolleyes:

24. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

If I sold someone a $400 dollar chainsaw and a $360 dollar trimmer, I would be smiling too :) Why not a front loader? Why a top load? :confused:

Anyways - Apple is a decent company, they have their faults though. However, they are much better than most. The people that are hired at some of their stores, well - leaves a lot to be desired. Sadly, you have to suck it up and move on. I am unaware of any other company that would allow me to bring in my phone and swap it out on the spot, 8 months into my warranty. That alone is worth it.

25. tritonj macrumors 6502a

Costco, you can take a TV that is over 1 year old and swap it