Couple Gevey Questions

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by willryan42, Jun 12, 2011.

1. willryan42 macrumors regular

So like many of you, I've been growing more and more desperate for an i4 unlock and am considering alternate options to do so.

After some quick research, it seems as though the Rebel sim is a scam, so I guess if anything, Gevey would be my only option. First of all, the whole "you have to dial 112 every time you reboot but it's kind of illegal" thing: are you actually connecting to a 911 operator? or do you just have to dial and hang up before you can even connect? In other words, just how illegal/unsafe is it? This second sentence here kinda spooks me...

"Without any doubt, spoofing of IMSI and ICCID using a legitimate emergency number is unethical or downright illegal. Also keep in mind that your network can request your IMEI during the emergency call and can ban your account for using false information and tampering with your SIM card."

Next, can anyone share some performance stories? I'll be using it on US T-Mobile, and, from what I've seen, data SHOULD work without a problem.

Also, although I'm not sure if anyone would know at this point, how does it perform with ios5? I'd hate to buy one now only to find out that it won't work once 5.0 is released.

Lastly, where's the best place to purchase one? I've heard that there are a lot of fakes around, and that authentic ones aren't cut down to micro-sim size.

I'm also seeing things that an untethered Gevey sim will be released very soon, maybe I'll be better off waiting for that...

Sorry for the string of questions, but before I buy I want to be sure I won't be having the police knocking on my door five minutes after I reboot my iphone!

2. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

I would love answers to all these questions as well. I want to use my ip4 in London when I go there on fall term and need to know if this will work with my at&t iPhone.

I think I saw you can buy them fairly cheap though, even on amazon.

3. willryan42 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, after a bit more of research it looks like "applesnberrys.com" is a legit place to get them, and it'll only run you $30USD.

4. utbaseball30 macrumors member

Im currently using the gevey sim in taiwan....i live in the US and have ATT the gevey sim works perfect over here....only negative is if u have to power off your phone or reset it you have to redo the gevey sim start up again....here is the most legit site for the sim card

http://applenberry.com/store/gevey2.html

5. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

whats the gevey sim start up process? is it a long process?

6. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Steps to get the Gevey sim to work:
    1) Turn on phone, get the Welcome screen
    2) Wait until you see a 1-signal bar
    3) Dial '112', end call after 2 seconds
    4) Turn on Airplane and then off
    5) 'No simcard installed' pops up if the unlock was successful

This procedure usually takes me no more than a minute. I use T-mobile's EDGE and it works perfectly fine if you tweaked the correct settings. As for dialing out to the emergency number, I've done it over a hundred times and the police hasn't come knocking. ;) Note, I don't believe the call ever gets a chance to connect anyway.

Granted, there are many imitations circulating about, have peace of mind and order from Apple N Berry.

7. willryan42 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the replies everyone! can anyone shed some light on signal loss issues? i've heard you need to redo the process if you lose signal, but applenberry claim that you don't...

and ann713, what do you mean "tweaked the correct settings?" just using the correct data apn, etc.?

now i just have to find out when this untethered gevey sim is supposed to come out and if it'll be worth the wait....

8. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Yes, adjusting the apn is simply what I meant. Signal loss for a couple of seconds has no effect. If you lose signal for more than 2-3 minutes however, you'll have to re-unlock.

9. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

OP, don't get paranoid about the cops, they I've far better things to do than hunt for Gevey users.

10. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

They wouldn't be going after you for jailbreaking; if they ever went after you it would be for tying up/fraudulent use of Emergency Response resources

11. biggy52 macrumors regular

If you lose the signal abruptly , then yes you have to redo the process, but if you know you are going to travel when there is signal loss in the road. You can turn the airplane mode on. When you are sure of proper signal, just turn airplane mode off and you will have signal again without doing the same process again.

12. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

hmmm might have to hop on this train and use this guy in the UK when I get there. I'm assuming this works well with O2 or vodaphone UK prepaid SIMs?

Will I be able to still get 3G speeds?

13. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Gevey works with plenty 3G carriers, however it should be said it does not support 3G with some, it just might not work for you. Or it would, really there's no way to know since not even the founding site (applenberry) have a table on that. Give it a try, the worst you could do is be stuck on EDGE.

Speaking of which, I read somewhere that Gevey only works EDGE on T-Mobile US.

14. PharmDoc macrumors 6502

I think you also have the option of selling your ip4 here and buying one outright from the UK if you want. Their phones are factory unlocked if you buy them from the apple store. (UK people, please correct me if I'm wrong) The carriers might also have some good deals to get rid of the ip4 if that's the time the ip4s or ip5 releases. Just a thought.

15. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

In the UK the carriers only sell locked stock, but any Apple store will sell you an unlocked one for £500.

16. willryan42 thread starter macrumors regular

Yep, I believe I read that as well. At least some form of data will work though!

And what about getting in trouble from your service provider? I haven't seen any horror stories about T-Mobile calling someone and shutting off their service because they used a gevey sim, but I have seen that it's possible...

17. nateo200, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011

nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

T-Mobile is actually really good about it. I've read countless threads where people have been on the phone with T-Mobile customer service working with to get their iPhone working. I don't think this is standard practice but I do know that if you have an unlocked iPhone and you pay T-Mobile for the proper data plan they tend to not have issues with taking your money. Now AT&T they are a bunch of bastards make no mistake :D:D:D:p

BTW Its not the Gevey SIM that is the trouble with no 3G connection it is the iPhone. iPhone 3GS is Triband 850/1900/2100Mhz 3G UMTS and iPhone 4 is Quad band 3G UMTS 850/900/1900/2100 (though both support 800Mhz used in Japan which is only slightly different than 850Mhz) The thing is T-Mobile uses the 1700Mhz AWS band which uses 1700Mhz for uplink connection and 2100Mhz for downlink the iPhone does not have the 1700AWS band so the phone can not connect to UMTS cell sites that T-Mobile uses.

AT&T 3G
    1900Mhz (Mainly urban)
    850Mhz

T-Mobile USA 3G
    1700Mhz AWS

Yeah just be careful not to dial 112 for too long. 112 is the international emergency response number but I'm not sure the average Joe knows this so if you ever did get in trouble you could say you "Didn't know" of course ignorance isn't an excuse for break the law really ever but really I don't think even the police that would respond would know what 112 did so you could say it was an honest mistake. I work with law enforcement they hate bogus calls but are usually reasonable if you explain the situation...

18. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Mmm, not really. T-Mobile provides you with service, nothing else. Whether you use their phones, or unlocked phones (be it iPhone, HTC, or a 2002 Nokia) is up to you. You are basically paying to use their line, you will have no problems.

Enjoy :)

19. willryan42 thread starter macrumors regular

Welp, you guys have convinced me to get one I think! Even if it doesn't end up working when iOS 5 comes around, 30 bucks for an unlock isn't bad until (hopefully) the dev-team can get one out.

Thanks for the help!

20. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

Hmm yeah that is a thought... but I would have to pay out the ass like mentioned above. I don't really think I have 500+pounds to drop as that would be like $600 or more USD............:eek::eek:

21. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

I personally got one from ebay for 12 euros free shipping and it works wonders, factory sealed and such it seemed legit. I have no clue, though. If you don't want to be cheap like me, buy it from the applenberry website.. though they do take a bit longer to ship.

I am on the same boat as you, hoping that devteam find an exploit to unlock for my baseband (04.10.1 I believe it is). The problem is that once iOS5 comes along with the iPhone 5 they will most likely discontinue looking for these 'loopholes' on this baseband and iOS :(. And unfortunately, to get an unlock from my carrier, I have to wait 18 months!

22. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Correct, but only because the iPhone's radio doesn't support T-Mobile's 3G bands. T-Mobile's 3G will never work regardless of unlock method.

23. willryan42 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Interesting news! After buying a gevey from from applenberry, I just received this email:

while this sounds great, the only thing that worries me is not being in control of hanging up when dialing 112. Of course, I'm sure it's designed to prevent an actual connection, but I guess I'll find out when I get it!

24. PharmDoc macrumors 6502

Well, it might actually be less if you can sell yours here, but I'm assuming yours is not unlockable so you would have to sell it to somebody with AT&T and then possibly buy one outright from the apple store here. You also have the option of getting a contract with a UK carrier if you are going to be in the UK for a year or two. Another option would be to find a cheaper unlocked iphone like the 3GS on Ebay or CL and just buy a prepaid sim over there.

25. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Actually, this sounds like a substantial improvement to me. One, rather than repeated "iffy" calls to 112/911.