Craig Federighi Says 3D Touch App Switcher Gesture Will Return in Future Update to iOS 11

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 21, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple software engineering chief Craig Federighi has revealed that a popular 3D Touch gesture for accessing the App Switcher will apparently return in a future update to iOS 11.

Federighi, replying to an email from MacRumors reader Adam Zahn, said Apple had to "temporarily drop support" for the gesture due to an unidentified "technical constraint."
    Question from Zahn: Could we at least make the 3D Touch app switch gesture an option in iOS 11 so that I could retain the ability to switch apps that way instead of having to double tap the home button?

Response from Federighi: Hi Adam,

We regretfully had to temporarily drop support for this gesture due to a technical constraint. We will be bringing it back in an upcoming iOS 11.x update.

Thanks (and sorry for the inconvenience)!

- craigOn devices that support 3D Touch running iOS 9 or iOS 10, users can press deeply on the left side of the screen, drag to the right, and release to quickly access the App Switcher. The gesture stopped working in the iOS 11 beta, and an Apple engineer later confirmed it was "intentionally removed."

MacRumors has verified this email exchange passed through mail servers with an IP address range linked to Apple's headquarters in Cupertino, California. Coupled with the fact Federighi has been replying to several customer emails since the iPhone X event last week, we're fairly confident in its accuracy.

Federighi replies have also revealed that Face ID will work with most sunglasses and that Apple has considered a Nightstand mode for iPhone X.

Article Link: Craig Federighi Says 3D Touch App Switcher Gesture Will Return in Future Update to iOS 11

2. Geert76, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017

Geert76 macrumors 65816

Craig should be CEO of this company (not just because of this email)

3. cmaier macrumors G3

As a general observation, Apple missed an opportunity in iOS 11 to make 3D touch more pervasive, more useful, and more discoverable (e.g. visual or other indications when it is available, etc.)

4. Xytal macrumors regular

Hope you can toggle it off. Hated it. Wouldn’t work when I wanted it to and always activated when I’d be swiping to go back.

5. JM macrumors 6502a

JM

AHAHAHA.... Double First Craig for CEO :D

6. JungeQuex macrumors regular

7. bgraham macrumors regular

I'm super happy executives in Apple are actually answering questions from customers and Apple actually puts out statements regarding certain issues, for example.

It feels like a slightly more open Apple and that can only be a good thing.

8. enrilo macrumors newbie

9. Phogro macrumors member

Phogro

10. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

But will the ability to swipe down for notifications when using the reachability feature make a return?

11. JM macrumors 6502a

JM

inane-ness

12. Lion007s macrumors member

Lion007s

How hard were you swiping when going back? Because it actually requires pressure exerted just on the edge. This would mean when you initiate a swipe you'd actually be pausing on the edge and applying pressure before continuing the swipe motion. A fluid swipe without pressure would solve this issue for you.

13. citysnaps macrumors 68030

Why? Be specific, outlining his credentials and suitability.

He's doing a really good job as SVP Software. But that is far different than being a CEO of a company the size of Apple..

14. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

I can't believe I'm saying this but, Thank you Apple!!

15. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Its rather hard to use on the Plus models, but nice the smaller 4.7inch.

16. EsmeraldaDoll macrumors newbie

EsmeraldaDoll

I’m daddy Craig all to myself.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 21, 2017 ---
    Want * :(

17. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Thank goodness. I never used it but some folks here are all out of sorts with this gone. Apple may have saved a few lives with this announcement!

18. m4mario macrumors newbie

m4mario

So 3D touch now is officially a gimmick. We had 2 OS versions that really did nothing to move it forward.

19. alejandroivan macrumors newbie

alejandroivan

Oh Craig, PLEASE make it optional. It's actually annoying when you accidentally enable this crap while playing...

20. busyscott macrumors regular

busyscott

Yay!!! I was seriously disappointed when I updated to find that feature missing. Thanks Craig!!

21. now i see it macrumors 65816

Poo hoo. Ip6 doesn't have 3D Touch so what you never had, you never miss.

22. BigTomCallaghan macrumors member

Best news all day, now if only my 7+ battery issues on iOS11 could have a fix...

23. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Here here. Want to see more 3D Touch implementations, not less.

24. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

Agreed -- I like 3D Touch, and use it, but the lack of indicators where it exacts (and what it will do) makes for poor UI.