Current SSD's that actually work with MBP's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jezthomp, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Jezthomp macrumors member

So last year i tried to install an SSD twice into my Late 08 MBP 2.53GHz 4GB

Started with..

Vertex 2 was too unstable lots of the usual problems.

Then tried the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro, less so problems but still a nightmare when actually installed in the computer. Worked fine when mounted externally though usb.

Both i have since found out have had a few general issues.

I'm not too fussed about super amazing speed performance etc etc, i just want it to work the Vertex and OWC are meant to be fast, but they're not fast when they dont work on my MBP?!

Are there any current SSD's that just work and have always worked?

They must be some, because even back when i bought my MBP in 08 i could have got an SSD from Apple put in it.

So which are known to work but are not as amazing than others?

I've cannot seem to find anything wrong with the Crucial RealSSD C300 that a good suggestion?

Regardless of speed here and there any SSD is going to be quicker and smoother than my current HDD surely?

2. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

Been running a C300 for over a year with none of the issues reported by a small number of users on the Crucial forum.

Yes, any SSD will transform your computing experience compared to an HDD; faster, quieter, cooler. If you buy one and it doesn't work in your MBP just send/take it back and pick another.

3. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

4. Jezthomp thread starter macrumors member

Cheers guys.

Have the Intel and Crucial got lesser problems than the Vertex and OWC.

Crucial have a 45day money back, so might try the C300 and older one is more likely to work than a newer one anyway..

:)

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

[​IMG]

Here is some reliability data from an Anandtech review.

Many users here have had success with the Intel X25-M. Not necessarily the fastest drive, but it seems to just work. The X25's replacement, the Intel 320, just came out, so you may want to consider that also.

Based on my experience and many others here, I would never have another Sandforce based drive (OWC and OCZ use the Sandforce controller). IMO Sandforce sacrifices reliability and compatibility for speed.

6. Jezthomp thread starter macrumors member

Perhaps thats the problem, i've been trying Sandforce controlled SSD's?

I cannot seem to find a UK stock of the Intel X25-M.

So might have to go with the Crucial C300.

7. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

THe X25-M is obsolete (it's out of stock here too for this very reason); it was just replaced by the 320 series.

8. advan031 macrumors 6502

I'm running X25-M G2 from my old mbp w/o any issues....it's fast enough for me right now.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

C300 is being replaced also. Here is a review of the replacement.

Just a point. Your MBP SATAII connection for the main drive, so when reading reviews pay attention to the SATA II speeds shown. You will not achieve the SATAIII speeds shown with your MBP.

You will pay a price premium for a SATAIII SSD. You may be just as well of with a good SATAII like the new Intel 320.

10. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I think scan.co.uk still have stock, but there is no point in getting that drive now.

11. Jezthomp thread starter macrumors member

Does the C300 have a SATAII?

If i have had problems previously i doubt a newer driver will be any better with even more modern technology for my ageing MBP, i'll try get a C300 i reckon..

Cheers for help guys :)

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The C300 is a SATA III drive, but is backwards compatible, so will work with a SATA II connection.

13. Jezthomp thread starter macrumors member

Oh thats ok then, i'll give the Crucial a go i think, they seem to have lowered their price probably getting rid ready for the new one and seems less problems than Sandforce controlled ones.

Ideal time to invest i reckon...

14. endless17 macrumors member

at this point all sandforce 2nd gen devices updated to the latest March 2011 firmware are compatible with OSX, including OWC, OCZ, etc.

15. leman macrumors 604

I have a vertex 2 in my 2009 15" MBP and it works great. Superb performance and no problems, sleep, hibernation etc. works out of the box.

16. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

What size are you getting? I'm currently a similar decision (C300 vs Vertex 2) because the drives are the same price, but it seems they each occasionally have their own problems.

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Couple problems with that though. For OWC at least, you need to have Windows installed under Bootcamp on your SSD to install the FW update. So unless you want to cough up $99 for Windows 7 OEM to do the upgrade, you are out of luck. I know OWC says they will update if you remove the SSD and send it to them, but who the heck wants to mess around with that.

Also, OWC says there is a "parameter setting" (?) that can only be changed by sending the drive to them if you want the sleep bug really fixed.

I don't know if OCZ has this same issue still or not.

18. Bigmacduck macrumors regular

Not all SSD are created equal (Buyer Beware)

I recommend for everyone who evaluates an SSD for a Mac to read the following post:

http://blog.macsales.com/8924-not-all-ssds-are-created-equal-buyer-beware

I find it a bit scary that some SSD manufacturers use 2nd quality "off spec" NAND Flash chips in their products - that's shocking!

I bought a OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 480GB 3 weeks ago and paid 1640 US$ for it (it is based on 34nm Flash chips).

OWC has significantly reduced their price for the 480GB beast by more than 700 US$ to 'only' 920 US$. The price reduction is because the new drives are now based on the 25nm Flash chips.

So I probably grossly overpaid, but I still got the 34nm model that has a higher write endurance than the 25nm technology (5000 cycles vs 3000 cycles). 3000 is still a good number, especially if you use TRIM as this significantly reduces the write cycles to the SSD. Normal users should not run into problems with only 3000 write cycles spec.

19. Jezthomp thread starter macrumors member

Not that easy, had a Vertex 2 and OWC both shipped with current Firmware etc etc had nightmare with them both.

Just want an SSD that works and the advantages there for..

Crucial seems to be the best bet and i'm going to give it a go.

They say that they will take return after 45days so will have to try it out.

20. Jezthomp thread starter macrumors member

Well i'm the most unlucky guy in SSD history!

Got my Crucial C300 today, installed Snow Leopard everything went ok, had all my stuff saved elsewhere so didn't need to do a clone or anything.

Anyway beach ball after beach ball, like the problem with the Vertex 2.

At random intervals, in fact its going well for me to post the reply!

Turned off motion sensor, reset smc, done a few pram resets nothing really helps.

I dunno what else to do. :(

Just dont feel confident, it will work fine and FAST for a few moments get my hopes up and then just start beach balling again.

FFS! :(

21. DarkFlame macrumors regular

I have been running a 120GB Vertex 3 in my macbook pro 13inch 2011 for about 48 hours now. (Got it on Monday from newegg) It works perfectly, no hiccups, nothing. I have about 85GBs free on it. I was one of the lucky ones able to purchase one for the two hours they were in stock at newegg. I was even able to use a coupon for 25 bucks off and scored it 275. That, and a 70 dollar 8GB of ram upgrade makes this the most incredible machine I have ever used in my life.

I purchased an optibay caddy and external enclosure for the CD/DVD drive. Then, I moved the 320gb that came with it to the optibay and put the CD/DVD drive in the external enclosure w/ USB. If I ever need to burn a cd I can just use that USB port, but now I have 440GB internal space.

I got the laptop for 1099 too! (Education discount and no sales tax in Delaware)
    275 for the SSD
    70 for the RAM
    50 dollars for the enclosure/optibay caddy.

1495 total for a stunning machine is a steal of a deal!

22. cherishzm macrumors regular

Samsung 470 Series

Try Samsung 470 series (PM810) SSD's. I'm using it on my 09 MBP 17 in Optibay and have not had any issues. It's not one of the fastest SSD's in the market and not many people use it, but Samsung has been making a lot of OEM SSD's for DELL, Lenovo and other notebook manufacturers.

I bought my 128GB Samsung 470 SSD for less than $150 on eBay (after 10% off coupon) couple months ago. I have an original 500GB HD as well for data and use this 128GB SSD for OS X, Win 7 via Parallel and Apps & Programs. I think it's the perfect combination for the price as of now.

23. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

24. iCBF, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

iCBF macrumors newbie

I'd like to see a poll on here in for people to select the ssd drive they installed in their MBP and if they're experienced any problems (eg. 1. VERTEX 3 with no problems 2. VERTEX 3 with problems etc. I tried creating a thread but it didn't give me the option for a poll?

25. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Been running my Vertex 2 180GB in the data doubler for a few months now with no issues at all (running the stock 1.28 FW it came with). Couldn't be happier with my Vertex 2 to be honest.