Current Wifi Only iPad Owners

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kardiackeith, Mar 4, 2012.

1. kardiackeith macrumors member

I know variations of this question have been asked frequently around here, so I might as well just ask my specific question...

Have you ever regretted not adding the 3g when purchasing your iPad?

Since purchasing your iPad, how many times have you desperately needed 3g and not had it? Thanks.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

For my needs, I don't need 3g on my ipad

I do however, have an iphone that fills the need if and when it arises

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

No. I have an iPhone for 3G and have never even considered buying the 3G version of the iPad.

when out, I'm at the studio who have free wifi anyway...It'll be the top end wifi only model when the 3 comes out for me.

4. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Yep. I don't have an iPhone or any smartphone, so if I go somewhere without wifi (a long car trip, my grandma's house, even just out shopping) I have no Internet.

I wasn't originally planning to upgrade for at least two years (I bought an iPad 2 a week after launch) but now I'm planning to get a 3G/4g/whatever iPad 3 as soon as it's jailbroken. I still probably won't buy a data plan every month, but it'd be nice to at least have it for travel.

5. seong macrumors 65816

seong

I have an iPhone that has free tethering (in Korea, all smartphones comes with free Internet hotspot/tethering ability), and if I need Internet on iPad, I can just use that.
    And, personally, I don't think 3G isn't worth the cost. I would rather get e higher capacity one.

6. palpatine macrumors 68040

wifi for me, and no plans for 3g.

it depends on your use case. i am often in range of wifi, but even when i am not, i am mostly using the ipad for things like reading or writing, and the internet is not necessary. when i am out of range and want to check emails or something (on a trip), i use my iphone.

3g would be nice. don't get me wrong. but, not worth the money.

7. erawsd macrumors 6502

I've had the odd moment here and there. Having used the thing everyday over the last year, I've def wished I had 3G during the week I had to wait for the cable guy to connect my Internet service. Besides that, everywhere I'd use my iPad has WIFI.

I'd like to have 3G, but I'd rather spend the extra $130 + $30 more per month on a larger drive and apps.

8. rcp27 macrumors regular

I can tether to my iPhone. If I couldn't do this, I would seriously consider the 3G version.

9. seannixon macrumors newbie

Our 1st gen iPad was a 3G model as none of us had iPhones back then. I didn't want to be stuck in a position where I needed internet access but there was no wifi around, mainly when we were at our caravan in the country.

When we got the iPad2, I had the iPhone4 with an unlimited data plan that allowed tethering, so we got the wifi only model.

Once I got the iPhone, the data plan for the original iPad was cancelled and it's not been missed. The iPhone happily shares it's 3G with both iPads now.

Sean

10. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I can tether, it's just that O2 here in the UK bleat like hell if I do....It's pretty rare I would need to anyway.

11. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Oh, I just wanted to add something.
    You see, if you lose your iPad with 3G, and have find my iPhone, then you can track it down.

12. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I'm also thinking to get iPad3 in WiFi only his time. The only thing is would miss is GPS; but also not often using it. My connectivity is done with a 4G mobile wifi router which is actually more flexible.
    On the other side, when iPad 3 comes with LTE I might try to convert my SIM to the iPad; when they allow tethering.

13. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

14. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I can tether to my iPhone if I ever need to but my iPad hasn't left the house since I bought it.

15. 1969cj5 macrumors member

Not worth the money, plus I have free tethering on my phone and have never used it with so many open networks to connect to.

16. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Wouldn't live without a 3G iPad! Here in the uk with the various carriers it's cheaper than tethering!

17. 1goodidea macrumors member

I have a iPad and iPad2. Both wifi. in Australia so free tethering as well (4gig per month). Often tether both iPad at the same time when away from home so definately saves on multiple 3G products.

18. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

Once or twice I sort of wished I had 3G, but the plans are so dear here and having to pay it on top of my normal Internet bill... It's just not worth it for the two times I wish I had it.

I've never 'needed' it, only wanted it.

19. Taylor-C macrumors 6502a

I actually regret buying a 3G iPad. For the time that I have had it (bought 1st Gen on UK Launch Day) I have only used the 3G once - which was to test it out... My MicroSIM Card has actually deactivated itself since it hasn't been used in such a long time!

I'm definitely getting a Wi-Fi only iPad 3 when they come out!

20. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

I got the first iPad with 3g and have only used it a couple of times. You can't really do much with it anyway.

21. northwarks macrumors newbie

Our house has three wifi only iPads ... Never wanted a 3G version, if I'm away from home I use a MiFi or take my Airport Express for hotels ....

22. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

I just recently sold my wifi only iPad 2 for iPad 3 funds, and I've not once regretted not getting a 3G version.

I just don't need it! There's wifi literally everywhere on my university campus, and when I'm in my dorm I've got a fast ethernet connection to my Mac :)

23. SammyDFG macrumors member

I rooted my Samsung Galaxy S2 for tethering capabilities with my iPad. 98% of the time I just use it on WiFi at home.

24. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Like most people here I'm happy with no 3G. Why waste your money if you have an iPhone when you are not in a Wifi area that is good enough. I do regret only getting the 16 gig version. Will get biggest size I can afford next time.

25. jltj macrumors member

I have 1Gb of 3G on my monthly iPhone plan that I can tether for free to my wifi iPad. I hardly use that 1Gb, not going to pay for a separate subscription for the iPad, so no, I've never regretted not having 3G on my iPad.