CW Strikes Deal with Apple to Bring Content to Apple TV

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
This shows CW is actually aware of their target audience's viewing habits. They can include ads in this, and their audience may see as more convenient than downloading a torrent.

Many young people don't care if there's ads as long as they can watch it easily and when they want.

prhammer

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2011
I do watch several shows from CW (Supernatural, Arrow, etc) and this is nice since the app doesn't allow airplay. Also, I am hopeful this may signal steps towards more apps on AppleTV (like that promised HBOGo app to begin with).

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
I do watch several shows from CW (Supernatural, Arrow, etc) and this is nice since the app doesn't allow airplay. Also, I am hopeful this may signal steps towards more apps on AppleTV (like that promised HBOGo app to begin with).
Arrow is the best show on CW for those that are not females who read YA novels and like sparkly vampires. Probably the best action/adventure show on networks right now.

Supernatural is a shadow of what it once was but as the only remaining holdover from The WB it doesn't include the usual teen romance that fills the rest of CW shows.

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
cool if this means more apps are coming to my apple tv. first on my wish list would be a NFL networks app.
It would be cool, but DirecTV has a death grip on the NFL (and the NFL is probably making huge money off of it).

It would be great though.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
Besides, CW is one of the most popular channels in that sophisticated mecca known as New York City.
It's so popular that no one watches it.

After thirty three weeks of the 2012-2013 broadcast television season (through Sunday, May 12, 2013), CBS is in first place among adults 18-49, with a 2.9 rating average, down 3 percent from last season. FOX was second, with a 2.5 rating average, down 22% from last season. NBC was third with a 2.4, down 4% from last season. ABC was fourth with a 2.2, down 12% from last season. The CW finished 5th among English networks with a 0.7 adults 18-49 rating average, down 13% from the previous season.

Among total viewers, CBS is ahead for the season averaging 11.917 million viewers. ABC is second with 7.818m, followed by FOX with 7.061m, NBC with 6.969m, and CW with 1.780 million.

Last edited by a moderator:

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
I think it's pretty iDiotic to complain about a potential target audience of one of the services that Apple TV brings while constantly pointing out how bad Apple is doing compared to Windows / Android. It's pretty obvious that it's just plain dumb bashing for the sakes of it.

acorntoy

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2010
Isn't the new whose line is it anyway coming to CW this summer?

If so this might just be the most perfect timing ever.

Verbatim Cookie

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012

Robin4

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
RTD-NC
I think this important. This is the first step into networks entering the "new" world of entertainment.

"It is unclear if the CW's app is part of a larger initiative by Apple to bring additional apps to the Apple TV. The CW is a joint venture between Warner Bros. Entertainment and CBS, one of the biggest U.S. broadcast networks."

Warner Bros is part of Time Warner. CBS has been fighting to stay away, something else is going on. The public demands, something has got to give.

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Cool - an app that I can't remove from my home screen.

Apple needs to step their Apple TV game up. There is so much potential there.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
The news in this story is that Apple may be close to opening up the Apple TV to app developers. Also, it may be the first step in having non-broadcast cable channels delivering their programming without having to have a cable subscription.
Yep..this is really what it's all about. You have to start somewhere and put a hole in the dike. Hopefully it will grow and turn into a flood. Music on iTunes was a similar situation, only a handful of labels signed.

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
A couple years from now, we're going to look back at this as the proverbial hole in the dike. If CW sees any success with this, it won't be long before the others follow.

Komentra

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2011
That's uh.. unexpected. I personally hate the CW but more channel is a step in the right direction.

Now if they get the channels most people use (HBO GO being a big one) then maybe I'll stop using my Roku.

lildimsum7

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
My husband and I enjoy Arrow, which is a CW Network show, that we discovered on Hulu. CW is the only network that we don't receive OTA on our antenna
Fun and exciting show. People are always talking about shows like GoT, BB, and Walking Dead. Arrow is not well-written like those shows, but it is more exciting. The finale is really good!

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
According to the CW, the app is set to launch in the coming weeks, though no exact release date was given.

Hmmm... So about the same time as WWDC? AppleTV Apps finally a reality? My vote is yes and this is the first company to talk about it! Expect more to come soon. :)

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
This is awesome IMO. Supernatural and Arrow are great shows, but more than that this could signal the beggining of the end for cable boxes are we currently know them.

IMO, a la carte programming SHOULD be the way of the future. Individual channel apps that are subscribed to or bought so we get only the programming we want.