Damn. (Smashed iPhone)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Krafty, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

[​IMG]

I was getting some gas at a station, its early in the morning and I'm in finals week wondering what the hell to do. As the pump stops, I went to step over the line, and somehow stepped on it, resulting in me falling on my ass, and my phone smashing out my pocket.

Screen works and everything, just the glass damage. Est. or replacement cost? (Sadly, no insurance or anything of the matter that could possibly be of help to bring the cost down to a semi-affordable price)

2. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

Worth taking it to Apple and see what they say, I took my gf's phone which she dropped and broke the screen, I told them that it happened when I tried taking off a Incase slider Case, and they replaced it... Now the guy said they don't usually do it. But its worth the try.

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Ouch. Always hurts to see this.

I had a friend who did this. He did the right thing and paid full price for a replacement since it was his fault.

4. spudd4242 macrumors newbie

I think he wants to know the price for a replacement as well

5. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Yeah I know. I should have been more specific. The second part of my post wasn't directed at the OP.

6. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Yeah, it's hard to find a 1st Gen case. I ordered one on Amazon a while ago, and it said it arrived at my campus but the mail man said he didn't see it. So I dont know where it went and they said they werent going to do anything about it.

I've never had a problem with packages in the mail room until then. Even so I ordered something else that arrived, so I dont know.

I guess I'll take it there later, cause I have too much crap in college going on, its just some internal parts are showing.

7. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

8. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Noo... My poor iPhone just powered down just seeing that carnage.

*jokes aside*

Sorry to see your iPhone damaged. I sorta skimmed through the posts here and read/saw that your iPhone is jailbroken.

My suggestion, if you can, restore it thru iTunes and take to Apple so that they can repair it if you wish. I noticed you said everything is fine, just glass problems. However, be ready to shell out more or less ~$250.

10. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I say you put a screen protector on it to stop the glass from falling off and keep using it. It makes for a nice story. That's what I would do.

11. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Might as well buy a new phone with that money. Not good for a college sudent.

12. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

:(
    I'm so sorry this happened to you Krafty!
    I hope everything works out for you in the long run!

13. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Yeah, this sucks. Finals and now this crap. Shouldn't have gotten gas half-conscience...

14. raclotz macrumors member

raclotz

in for quite some loss.. but it will be fixed...

15. YoshiKing macrumors newbie

Wow mate, This would suck. My deepest condolences.
    You know you could buy a referb iPhone 3G for 99.00 off Amazon?

YoshiKing

16. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

I just searched and didn't find any.

17. stringbeanie macrumors 6502

$99 Amazon phone

The $99 Amazon refurb also requires a contract so that won't help.

I found these websites that might help depending on your level of adventure ;)

http://www.iphonefreak.com/2008/07/brando-offers-85-diy-iphone-3g-screen-replacement.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fF0DF-mbn4

http://shop.brando.com.hk/prod_detail.php?prod_id=02753

I watched the video and it doesn't look that complicated. I have also purchased a number of things from Brando. They are in Hong Kong but their shipping is reasonable and they are very reputable.

18. adameels macrumors member

CAREFUL! A friend of mine smashed his Touch, tried to follow a YouTube video to repair it and made things worse. Ultimate cost was a brand new Touch.

Previous experience of owning many portable devices, most iPods means I buy a screen protector and case before I touch any new devices... I always learn the hard way lol

19. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

keep the kids away from that phone/pic. its not for innocent eyes....:eek:

20. stringbeanie macrumors 6502

Also I realized that it is just the lcd replacement. I am not sure what is the status of your digitizer so that could be additional.

I just checked ebay for completed sales this week on 3g iphones with cracked screens. They are all getting over $300 for them! You could easily recoup the money you need to spend on a new one by selling the old one on ebay.

21. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

I don't do eBay ever since they overcharged my CC without my permission. AFAIK, you have to confirm them to charge the fee's, which I haven't done so and they did it anyways. Maybe i was wrong, but I dont do it, however I use Craigslist. Thing is I was trying to sell for some D40 lens and now I have this.

I'll head to the Apple store, hopefully I wont cut my face again using this phone, and I would hate to ask my parents to fix it. I find its human nature that you don't respect material your parents give you (I wish I could pay for college, but I know theyre doing it for the better of my life to pay them back).
    See, thats my problem, making the situation worse but trying to fix it.

22. adameels macrumors member

The best advice I can give is research this thoroughly, then only when ready and have a lot of free time go ahead and do it. You need the maximum patience to do this successfully. Think of it has a hobby activity and not an essential chore. If your stressed and wanting to get something over with you're certain to fail.

Also if you can afford to do it that would affect you day-to-day life. Like if you have a spare phone or spare mp3 player or quick access to internet, etc, meaning you're in no particular rush to fix it.

23. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Well, this quarter ends this thursday. I'll make an appointment with Apple to see what they say. If its a no go, I'll give it a shot since we have a week off (whoop-dee-freaking-do).

24. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Alright, I made reservations even though I have a feeling its going to be a waste of time given they say I have to pay for it. I don't see how a glass could possibly cost 2/3 of the price of the iPhone, but I dont get their pricing so I don't complain too much about.

A few things:
    1. It's jailbroken, so yeah I have to restore, but if they by some luck or an angel deciding to cut me a break decide out of the generosity lost in the black hole of a heart they have find the time to replace it, will they replace the screen or the entire phone? The phone has a few dents but I mean, the screen is the main issue for me right now.

2. If they don't, I have bought biteSMS, and the thing is I think its attached to the ID of the phone or something, so how would I go about that or should I just contact them about the problem?