Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
This sounds like it could be a situation where there were fraudulent reviews going up, but the developer couldn't prove that it wasn't himself doing it. Then Apple just has no choice. There would now need to be new procedures put in place to try to verify the source of these kinds of fraud in the future, if that's possible.

DCINKC

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2014
Liberty, MO
Yes, think about that for a minute. Do you think he would comment and let everyone know that he had personally looked into it and agreed that there was "repeated" fraud if he wasn't confident that was the case? Some critical thinking would really help on MR.

Thank you! Is seems to me that many on MR are speculating based on information provided by a developer that's having a "squabble" with Apple. In other words, one side of the story. No one here knows all of the facts but appear eager to pass judgement. I don't know if this developer was treated fairly or not and neither does anyone else on MR.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
.....It's time for people to stop whinging and get behind Apple. If they say rules have been broken, I believe them. I trust Apple to make the best decisions for the platform and all of loyal consumers.
I also believe Apple, yet checks and balances are required to preserve integrity, and the appearance of fairness; a formal appeals process is part of that. Nothing to do with whining.

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
I absolutely despise fake reviews, so I'm glad they're cracking down.

That said, I literally use dash about 20 times every day, and it's by far one of the best apps I've ever purchased.

Not sure what to think...

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
"Apple’s decision is final and can’t be appealed."

That is the particularly BS part of all this. Third Reich much?

But Apple cancels orders for no reason, so why not developer accounts.

Time to lawyer up. Apple can't be judge/jury/executioner/payee in this market place as that creates a conflict. A company saying their decision is "final" is nonsense.

rolsskk

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2008

That is the particularly BS part of all this. Third Reich much?

But Apple cancels orders for no reason, so why not developer accounts.
First post and we already reinforce Godwin's Law. Wow.

Reactions: Weaselboy

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
Yes, think about that for a minute. Do you think he would comment and let everyone know that he had personally looked into it and agreed that there was "repeated" fraud if he wasn't confident that was the case? Some critical thinking would really help on MR.

Context clues. If he's so confident, then why not tell the developer what they have?

Try taking your own advice, cheech.

Who's next? Preferably a thinker.

Reactions: PC_tech

radus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2009
I am not behind Apple nor the Developer but I very much like Dash on the Mac / iOS Device or Zeus on the PC / Linux !

May be the Developer's fault was his generousness to open Dash's database for free to Zeus aka. PC / Linux developer's.

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
Nice avoiding the question. If he's so confident, then why not tell the developer what they have?

Try taking your own advice, cheech.

Who's next?

How do you know what they have or haven't told the developer? I know, "it must be true, I read it on the Internet."

Reactions: DCINKC

DCINKC

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2014
Liberty, MO
Really apple? You cant appeal lol. thats just wrong.

I think that having the decision concerning removing the app reviewed by an Apple executive more than counts as an appeal. We also don't know the details of conversations that may have occurred between both parties before it was brought to Phil's attention.

Reactions: jdillings

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I think that having the decision concerning removing the app reviewed by an Apple executive more than counts as an appeal. We also don't know the details of conversations that may have occurred between both parties before it was brought to Phil's attention.
I didnt think about it that way, you may have a point.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Time to lawyer up. Apple can't be judge/jury/executioner/payee in this market place as that creates a conflict. A company saying their decision is "final" is nonsense.

Ah and there you go. Sue because for some foolish reason you think you have a constitutional right to sell through the App Store.

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
MacRumors said:

We'll see how long that statement holds when the PR from this blows up. Tech sites love anti-Apple stories for social media clickbait, so this will spread and reflect badly against Apple on a massive scale - without the majority even being sure why they're angry.

Reactions: PC_tech

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
The question is, does Phil have the technical expertise to check this by himself, or did he just look at some false reports and said "okay, right that way". I think, Craig must step in this time.

So you think that someone in Apple would risk their job and provide false reports to Phil Schiller to try to get a developer documentation app removed from the app store? That is incredibly unlikely.

Phil would try to make sure the banning seemed legit and wasn't just a misunderstanding or overblown/minor mistake.

It seems that third party sabotage or developer ignorance in some manner are by far the most realistically explanations if the developer is not directly guilty.

Gusjasso

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2013
I wonder if this publicity will turn out to be better than being on the Apple store.

Maybe he manipulated the reviews to get kicked off and then get publicity for being kicked off and make even more money! (I'm totally kidding)
Your joke was fun, until you explained that your joke was a joke

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
Sounds like another f.lux ordeal where it was killed by Apple and replaced with Apple's Night Shift. Why didn't Apple flag or remove the reviews instead of removing the app entirely which is extreme?

Because Apple is trying to protect other developers and consumers who get screwed by fraud?? Because they want the system to have some integrity?? Because they found REPEATED fraud???

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
Thank you! Is seems to me that many on MR are speculating based on information provided by a developer that's having a "squabble" with Apple. In other words, one side of the story. No one here knows all of the facts but appear eager to pass judgement. I don't know if this developer was treated fairly or not and neither does anyone else on MR.

Considering most of the people passing judgement are the people who are responsible for producing high quality applications about another high quality application, I think it is fair to say something is not right and that they have proper credence in their reaction.

Dash doesn't need to manipulate votes. It is already developer acclaimed and it has no real competition and those are exactly the reason why many people are frustrated. I sure am, and can be regardless of someone's view of an almighty Apple. Evidence, of none they presented, would convince me otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: alvindarkness

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
I think the most important word here is "repeatedly". Whether you think the app is good or not, or if you think that a competitor may be screwing with the app doesn't matter. if you believe Phil Schiller than you have to believe the app developer has been notified of this before and knows more than he is letting on.

Acidsplat

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
Interesting how Apple loves appeals when it comes to their bottom line, but can't be bothered to treat their own relationship with developers with the same respect.

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
Interesting how Apple loves appeals when it comes to their bottom line, but can't be bothered to treat their own relationship with developers with the same respect.

What a bunch of nonsense! The developer did appeal the decision and someone at the very highest levels of the Apple checked into it and determined there was a good faith basis to believe repeated fraud had taken place. What do you want, for Apple to hold some jury trial in Cupertino? You're letting your hate of Apple lead you to silly postings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.