Dates of Interest: All Things Digital, WWDC 2007, iPhone

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 28, 2007.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

D: All Things Digital
    The Wall Street Journal hosts this conference annually as a series of discussions and unscripted interviews with industry leaders. This year's hyped event is a joint interview with both Steve Jobs and Bill Gates which will take place on Wednesday night (May 30th). Coverage and video clips will be posted to the official site. This year's conference runs from May 29-May 31st.

WWDC 2007
    Apple's annual developer's conference runs between June 11th and June 15th this year, and kicks off with the traditional Steve Jobs keynote speech on Monday, June 11th. Rumors are swirling, but the release of new MacBook Pros appears to be most likely based on available current information.

iPhone Release
    "Late June" is the closest Apple will say. Boy Genius Report claims that their sources have actually seen AT&T posters with a June 11th date to coincide with the WWDC keynote. A few other relevant dates of interest:

iPhone Training: May 30-June 20th
    AT&T Vacation Blockout dates: June 15-July 15th
    Confidentiality on FCC Documents (user manual, photos) expires June 30th

2. gkhaldi macrumors regular

iPhone

Anyone knows when the iPhone will come to Europe?

3. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

4th quarter 2007 is what they said in January.

arn

4. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Regarding WWDC keynote, does anyone know roughly what time that'll be in Hong Kong, GMT+8.

Is it 13 hours difference or so ?

5. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

A ROGERS representative was fairly certain that Rogers would be selling the iPhone in Canada in September.

6. inkswamp macrumors 68030

inkswamp

Looks like June is going to be a full month for Mac users. I'm personally eager to see if my pet theory is going to hold up. With the rumored demise of the Mac Mini and the lack of an update for the 17" iMac, I suspect that we'll see a whole new low-end consumer offering that will include both CPU and display (NOT in an all-in-one configuration) at a reasonably low price. I can't imagine that Apple is getting rid of those but I could imagine them replacing them with such an offering as it would retain the benefits of both.

If it's going to happen, I suspect WWDC is a likely place to unveil it.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

When I heard about the Mini disappearing, my first thought was "low end tower". I hope it's true! Preferably it wouldn't include a display though, lots of people already have them.

8. beal9000 macrumors newbie

Why would AT&T go to the trouble of printing up posters with the June 11 date? The main reason they'd put a date on a poster is to announce the availability of the iPhone on that date. But there's no way in hell they'd be allowed to announce the date of availability in advance, right? Once the phone is out, of course they'll put up posters, but, at that point, the date of availability is past, so there's no need to print a date.

9. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Very true. Unless they do plan on announcing the date very soon and putting up posters.

arn

10. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I'd say you have a pretty good point... unless the posters were made for internal use at ATT offices. Still, the 11th seems unlikely if their vacation blackout doesn't start until the 15th.

11. grappler macrumors regular

Maybe the Apple TV will get a beefier cousin that is as much computer as it is appliance, hooks up to a tv and essentially replaces the mac mini.

12. inkswamp macrumors 68030

inkswamp

Right. It seems plausible to me. Apple could return to selling the CPU and a small-ish display separately. People who still want the cheapest Mac without display, keyboard and mouse can buy that while others can pick up the whole package for ~$999. With that arrangement, they still serve the Mac Mini buyer and the low-end iMac buyer while producing only one computer.

And if they're really savvy about it, they could make the box just big enough to cater to the crowd who continues to gripe about lack of expansion. I've seen enough Windows-wanting-to-be-Mac users out there complaining on forums about that. I'm sure Apple has heard from them too.

13. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I guess 01:00 at night

14. odaiwai macrumors member

Nope, It's Pacific Standard time to HKT, which is about 15 or 16 hours, depending on daylight savings time.

15. odedia macrumors 65816

Another interesting date:

Tomorrow marks 40 years for the Beatles' "Srg. Pepper's Lonely Heartclub Band".

Maybe a special offer and "Celebration" tomorrow on iTunes?

Oded S.

16. Metzgermeister macrumors member

Metzgermeister

A new MBP should be released at WWDC, would make sense. LED display to start a Greener Apple, Santa Rosa to keep a separation between MB and MBP.
    Also a developers congres would be a good opportunity to release a professional a machine. Hope there are going to be some more rumors which can be confirmed.
    My guess/hope is that this keynote will me mainly for Leopard and Steve will use a new MBP for the presentation. Let's wait and see....

17. Bonte macrumors 6502a

Bonte

osX test version at WWDC! I'm really eager to see how Apple will lock osX down to the Mac (i think they can't technically), or open it up to the rest of the world. The wait is almost over for me and then finally get a good nights sleep. :)

18. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Thanks, that just means no work for me on Tuesday after the keynote, as I'll of been awake all night, or work will be browsing through new features.

19. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I like having a list to keep my dorky mind active

:D

20. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

Yeah I thought the same when I read it; it doesn't make sense unless they are going to show the posters before june 11th. Which also doesn't make sense as one would expect Steve Jobs to announce it before it is communicated by Cingular/AT&T. So my guess is that Steve Jobs will announce it in his keynote on june 11th (WWDC) and from that moment it will be available at Cingular/AT&T.

I agree that this would make sense; also looking at the MBP lifecycle and the previous LED backlit display rumors. When it's going to be released I'm going to order me one; I've been waiting for this rebision for quite a while... I really hope there will be a better GPU in there though. It's time to replace my PowerBook G4 with a MBP :)

While it is a nice little machine I'm not really sad it's probably going to disappear. I have one here at work for cross-platform testing and I find it quite slow. When I open up something that requires some resources it stalls and becomes quite sluggish. A MacBook / MacBook Pro is much faster in my opinion.

21. JonDann macrumors member

JonDann

Oh God...

I'm gonna be incommunicado for the keynote! Oh... wait, my world won't come crashing down. I am excited though.

22. Manfr3d macrumors newbie

I doubt that Apple has to actively do sth to
    lock osx down to macs. Just think about the
    limited hardware support in x (state of the art
    gfx cards anyone?) and the implication that
    has on other hardware platforms. The reason
    why ppl buy a mac is "ease of use" .. and only
    some macguyvers are going to try to run osx
    on their winboxes. I dont see that there is a
    market thats worth exploring for any it bussines.

If apple wanted to tie osx to their computers,
    they could simply sell it only as oem versions.

23. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Probably no different to what they do with Tiger now...
    There is no need to press return all the time while posting in this forum :)

They do implement measures now...it is very difficult to put it on a PC, and is often not very smooth at all...sometimes, when you get it working, any update to OS X kills the install...

24. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

"This year's hyped event is a joint interview with both Steve Jobs and Bill Gates..."

I look forward to this the most. It will be a good match to see both those titans in the ring.

25. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

I'd say there's more of a chance of new iMac's, though maybe we'll get both.