Dead Space 2

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Taustin Powers, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Finally played the demo last night...and I have to say, the jury is still out on this one. You can tell they packed some more action-style parts into the game. The screaming baby horde was pretty intense...but I'm not sure if it's what I want in a Dead Space game? I'll be reading the reviews carefully before I pick this up, to see how the overall pacing of the game turned out.

Overall, it looks good, and they added some variety to the environments. Especially the second part of the demo, it seemed like a cross between Bioshock and Unreal Tournament. It looks nice, but somehow it lacks that claustrophobic isolated feel of the first game. Again, I will wait and see how the full game turns out.

It's not a "Day 1 must-buy" for me at this point, but it's a game I'll be watching closely! :)

2. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Meees don'ts gets the demo, since meees on the PC. :)

I already pre-ordered it for the little plasma-cutter... toy... :eek:

I will be really annoyed if this is another RE5 and let down, but if anything, I still enjoyed that game. At least if it sucks, I can go and yell on their forum. :)

But it really does suck that some complained about the first game being too scary, well it sucks that they were listened to by the developers.

Anyways, your description of Unreal and BioShock scares me. :(

3. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

When the baby horde attacked, I was kind of reminded of RE5, in the way that the action was too fast for the control scheme. But not as bad as RE5, it still works.

It remains to be seen if it will be less scary than the first one...I didn't really get that impression for the demo, but then again, it's just a glimpse.

Regarding the environments...there was some dark/weird cathedral type stuff...at least that's how I perceived it. It didn't bother me that much...just didn't "feel right" at first. But it's nice to shake things up a bit, I guess? We'll see. I remain hopeful, as I absolutely loved the first one!

4. Cuddles macrumors newbie

What. I frickin' loved the demo. The addition of those screaming too fast to shoot babies was INTENSE. That's what Dead Space was all about. Intense moments with suspenseful moments between them. I'm too excited for this game. I pre-ordered it in November....then my girl friend pre-ordered it for me as a Christmas present!

The multiplayer...on the other hand, looks retarded. It seems to be a rip-off of the Singularity multiplayer (which was fun). But I play Dead Space for the horror survival aspect, and the multiplayer mode seems to lack that (from reviews I've read).

Dead Space was the first and only game I have platinumed.

5. Cuddles macrumors newbie

What. I frickin' loved the demo. The addition of those screaming too fast to shoot babies was INTENSE. That's what Dead Space was all about. Intense moments with suspenseful moments between them. I'm too excited for this game. I pre-ordered it in November....then my girlfriend pre-ordered it for me as a Christmas present!

The multiplayer...on the other hand, looks retarded. It seems to be a rip-off of the Singularity multiplayer (which was fun). But I play Dead Space for the horror survival aspect, and the multiplayer mode seems to lack that (from reviews I've read).

Dead Space was the first and only game I have platinumed.

And the scenery should all be different. Things like churches, cafeterias etc should all be present. You are on a stand alone space station that houses many people this time around.

6. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

With RE5 on the PC, they increased the amount of foes -- which I liked, because the mouse support was real, so I could aim, turn, and shoot as fast as I could react.

They tried gimping Dead Space's controls on the PC and didn't even implement them properly, just tacked the mouse onto the joystick layer, so this really made it difficult to play at first, until adjusting a few settings.

How's the inventory system in the demo, is it at least the same as the first DS?

------

I really hope that this time around, I'll find out what the necros eat? :)

7. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Inventory system (and pretty much the entire HUD...or lack thereof) looks exactly like part 1.

8. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Cool! That's what I wanted to hear. :) :) :)

I should play the first DS again just so it's fresh in me mind this month.

9. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Popped in Dead Space 1 last night, since the demo really put me in the mood for it. HOLY CARP, I had almost forgotten just how freaking good it was! I have also bought a surround system since the last time I played it, which makes it even scarier! :eek: Fantastic game, really.

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

My cup of tea...loved the demo and I'm glad they kept everything in line with DS1. I'm hoping they keep the "behind the back vent poppers" to a minimum this time...hated that in DS1.

Bless

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Only just got around to finsihing DS1. Not bad since it was bought in 2008!! :rolleyes:;)

Should be good.

Hope they improve power node and looting though. It was monotonous to try and juggle your inventory to get enough back to a store to store / sell so that you could eventually get enough power nodes to upgrade your weapons.

I spent ages doing in in DS1, to the point of having 260,000 credits at one point to which I bought 20+ power nodes and it only leveled up my weapons by a small amount overall. It was a chore in the end leveling up weapons, and if I'm honest after finishing it - I cant say the effort felt like it was worth it.

12. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

LOL, I likes the weapon upgrade system and that it's not exactly a cakewalk. It was similar to Resident Evil 4, but improved upon IMO.

But why would you not use the nodes when you found them, or buy them right away when the funds were available? :confused:

Node aren't exactly cheap and they're rare. They're most useful all around item and can be used to upgrade not only the weapons, but the suits, stasis, and grapple. They're even used to open some doors. 20 nodes is way more than enough to max out any weapon. Most of them only needed about 7 - 10 nodes. The Plasma cutter as an example, when maxed out is an UBER powerful weapon -- my favorite.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Different strokes ll ;):D

Well the weapons needed far more than 7-10 nodes to max them when I was playing. I upped the plasma with about 10 nodes and I'd say I was 60% upgraded.

By the time you've tried to bolster the 5 other weapons in your arsenal + your stasis module and your telekenisisis module and then your actual rig etc, it just never seemed to get anywhere as there just simply wasnt enough nodes even with loads of looting....

My nodes were spread so thin that I may as well not have bothered....

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Oh I'm getting ps3 version simply for the move support version of Extraction :)

15. Cuddles macrumors newbie

Extraction is the Wii version...right? I'm also getting it for PS3, I didn't realize I was getting a two-fer!! Shweeet.

So why are you guys carrying the max weapons you can? I think I would always have the plasma cutter and the line gun. Maybe one more, but only so that expensive ammo would be in crates and stuff.

I can't wait a few more weeks.....ahhhhhh :cool:

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep if you pre order on ps3 you get a HD remake of Extraction with PS Move support. Which as you say is sweet....

I tried all the weapons just to see which was best, plus you assume a weapon unlocked later in the store would be more powerful or desirable than the stock weapon. But alas, that wasn't the case. As you and JacKAxe point out - your pretty much better sticking to the plasma and line gun making the choice of other weapons and my futile leveling up of them with precious nodes even more redundant.

Chances are in the sequel I'll stick to just two weapons and level them up to max instead of spreading out.

17. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

When I counted the nodes yesterday, I ignored the color ones, the important ones for some dumb reason. :D *Hides* :eek:

So, using magic and other things that don't exist, just forget what I wrote. :eek: OK, that' snot possible. :)

Anyways, I ignored the stasis upgrades, only focused on the Plasma, the suit, and the Pulse Rifle, then put a few into oxygen. So I had enough nodes for how I liked to play, it just took most of the game to get to that point on the first play through. On the second play through, I new the importance of the plasma, so I upgraded it much faster.

18. Cuddles macrumors newbie

So...what difficulty will you guys play through on Dead Space 2. Looks like most of you have played Dead Space, so you already know the basics. You gonna try for hard??? You get to see more death scenes! (I love those)

19. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I played through the first time on hard and the second on impossible.

I'm going to try and find the preference to unlock the hardest difficulty from the get go this time around though, if I can't just choose it from the start.

Dead Space on the PC was a tad too easy on hard and just right on impossible, which basically felt like where normal should be. It would have been great if they had made it as hard as RE5 PC's highest difficulty which kicked my arse! =O

And I can't ramble this enough, but NEVER USE THE UBER CHEESE THAT IS STASIS on anything killable, that's my modo! I didn't like the fact that Isaac was more of a magician than an engineer and that nothing was fixed with technical skills, but by instead distorting time. That and it made an already easy game even more so.

20. Cuddles macrumors newbie

I would have been destoryed without stasis on impossible difficulty.

21. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

If I hadn't got my mouse cursor under control, I would have needed stasis. But I still don'ts like it. :eek:

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Since it took me since 2008 to get around to finishing DS1, I'll stick with casual :D

23. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

I usually go for "normal", and maybe try "hard" on a second playthrough.

Although, if that asteroid-shooting stuff had been any harder in the first game, I never would have finished it the first time. I really hated that, I hope they don't bring it back in part 2.

24. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

IGN gave it a solid 9.0. Sounds promising. The only part in the review that put me off a little was about Isaac being faster and stronger and more of a "badass" now. But the quiet and eery parts seem to still be in the game, and plenty of them. I'll definitely pick it up soon.

What they didn't like too much was the multiplayer, but I didn't have any hopes (or interest) in that anyway. :)

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I've been thinking about playing the original. It kind of reminds me of Doom 3. Would anyone agree with this impression?