Deals: Get a New HomePod for $197.60 at OWC ($101 Off)

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

OWC is back this week with a new discount on Apple's HomePod, offering the White version of the smart speaker for $197.60, down from an original price of $299.00. OWC's price on the HomePod is typically at $208.00, but you'll see an instant rebate of $10.40 after you place the device in your cart.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with OWC. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Likewise, the Space Gray HomePod is available for $198.80, down from $299.00. Similar to previous HomePod sales at OWC, these devices are brand-new, but they come in non-retail packaging.

This means that you'll receive a new HomePod in a nondescript box, not in Apple's own packaging. Additionally, these HomePods are covered under one year of OWC's Fulfilled Limited Warranty instead of Apple's warranty coverage.

In terms of a new version of Apple's smart speaker, these prices are some of the lowest that we've ever tracked. In recent weeks, the best sale was at Best Buy, where a HomePod was priced at $199.99.

To keep track of ongoing discounts, we track the best deals on HomePod every week, so be sure to bookmark our guide if you're on the hunt for solid HomePod discounts.

Article Link: Deals: Get a New HomePod for $197.60 at OWC ($101 Off)

GeoStructural

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
HomePod is still so meager and overpriced compared the other offerings in the market. It wins in audio quality but that's about it. Siri is also more a hindrance than an asset here. It took me just 7 days to know I had to return it, it was so lacking.

I have Google Nest WIFI, it looks like a space piece of furniture, it tells me the weather and traffic condition before I leave home, it came with two repeaters that seamlessly distribute my network throughout the entire house, the backyard and to my neighbors... it is smart and probably tracking the hell out of me, I am sure my Google Nest knows me better than my own mother, but heck they are useful!

I also have the touch screen one in the kitchen and it is a joy for cooking, preheating the oven, setting the timer, telling me cooking steps, changing the house air conditioner set, unlocking the main door and showing me the outside camera, etc. Google just does it better.

Last edited:

chris4565

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
This is so frustrating as someone living in Germany. We hardly get any discounts for the HomePods. One of our biggest electronic shops (Saturn) had "Apple Days" about a week ago and there the HomePod was generously discounted at 290 EUR...

incoherent_1

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2016
Still think these are grossly overpriced.

$119 and I've be buying three or four for around the house. At the current prices it's just not good value enough still.
I sat waiting for these to go down for awhile, then finally bit the bullet and got a Sonos system. So happy I did. Many more services supported, lower prices, better integration, sound bar for the TV, etc. I haven’t looked back.

4jasontv

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2011
Not familiar with ‘OWC’ at all. Anyone have feedback on their reliability/customer ratings?
They are wonderful. A reputable and reliable brand. They typically only sell premium parts and accessories, and I personally don't always see the personal cost benefit - but if you can afford them you will likely max out available performance.

I drool over their thunderbolt docks. Man they are awesome, and if any of the OWC crew reads MacRumors... PLEEEEZE let me pay you with the lint in my pocket.

Their model lookup tool is amazing for identifying what components you can actually upgrade, and what you can upgrade with custom mod hardware. For example some devices need special cables to use non-apple hardware.

chris4565

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
Considering the offer from last week (I saw one where they deducted the VAT) I tried to get it on the same day as it was announced and it was already sold out in every single store of the Saturn in my vicinity as well as the online store. But yup, I guess I missed the February offer unfortunately. Hopefully another one comes soon.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I got one in November when Costco had them for $199 for a few days. Wouldn’t have paid full price.

robjulo

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
It arguably doesn't even win in audio quality. There are numerous head to head blind comparisons (at least one by an Apple advocate) where HopePod lost to it's competitors.

There are many better options, starting with Sonos.

HomePod is still so meager and overpriced compared the other offerings in the market. It wins in audio quality but that's about it. Siri is also more a hindrance than an asset here. It took me just 7 days to know I had to return it, it was so lacking.

I have Google Nest WIFI, it looks like a space piece of furniture, it tells me the weather and traffic condition before I leave home, it came with two repeaters that seamlessly distribute my network throughout the entire house, the backyard and to my neighbors... it is smart and probably tracking the hell out of me, I am sure my Google Nest knows me better than my own mother, but heck they are useful!

I also have the touch screen one in the kitchen and it is a joy for cooking, preheating the oven, setting the timer, telling me cooking steps, changing the house air conditioner set, unlocking the main door and showing me the outside camera, etc. Google just does it better.

jicon

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
I was pondering this... or a Sonos One a few days ago, and went with the Sonos. Seems to work with far more services, and has Airplay 2. Costco has a pretty good deal on a pair for stereo sound. Ikea has a lamp, or bookshelf Sonos speaker available for peanuts, though I haven't heard the quality yet, integration in to Sonos on the surface looks pretty good.

I guess my only frustration is getting voice control working with it and Apple Music, and suspect this is also an issue with Homepod... I have forever used smart playlists. Five star rated songs, songs categorized by year, but none of these playlists migrated over to iCloud, and... you can't create a smart playlist on iPhone from what I can tell. So... I have playlists I want to use only available from my phone or iTunes... no way to use Alexa to get them to play, as they aren't seen in my Apple Music library... unless someone knows of a way...

I also tend to listen to the 'Favorites, Get Up, or Chill' mixes that Apple Music pulls together each week. I can get those to play using Siri... Alexa no chance. Maybe there's a way, maybe there isn't, but I suspect those work on HomePod just fine.

ceriess

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2003
If you have a friend at Apple, they are giving retail employees 50 percent off on up to 10 of them. $150 was pretty good for me, so I just got 2 more.

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
That's a good deal. Just bought an Echo Show 8. Audio not as good, but the screen is infinately better.

cliffster82

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2013
I agree some of the limitations of homepod are annoying. But if you just want speakers to play music like I did, they are really great. My big caveat is you have to get 2 and pair them together. Not only is it obviously more powerful sound... you get real stereo sound with state of the art software. It sounds awesome.

purfledspruce

macrumors member
May 1, 2008
Ok so is it worth getting HOMEPOD?
Yes and no? I like mine, I have quite a few of them. Their sound is great, but so is Sonos. I use homekit a lot and it’s helpful, though I often have to ask more than once for something.

I figured that I make enough money for some toys, and I bought a Bose 5.1 system that was $1200 in 2000, so i would buy one or two whenever they went on good sales. I am glad I bought them, overall.

nspindel

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2011
The real value of these things comes when you pair them together. The audio is just superb. I paid about $200 each. Does it sound like a $400 stereo? All day. And it listens to me when I tell it to play something. I'm more than happy with mine.

63W

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2020
The HomePods that OWC sells, are refurbished and have no Apple warranty.
- - Post merged: - -

I ordered two during their last sale. One was clearly used.
They are Refurbished units and OWC re -sells returned products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.